Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    keenu Posts: 114, Reputation: 9

May 17, 2005, 03:53 AM
    Windows xp home edition
    OK, I found out you can't install friend's xp! Bought new one and installed. (Installed fresh, not repair).
    NOW, not all of the time, but about half the time or a little more, it won't load up right and keeps re-starting and then I have to put it in safe mode and restore it to a previous day to get it to boot up. Sometimes I have to put in the disk. What is going on? I'm not sure I like this xp... 98 was so much more straightforward. I have all the latest updates. Is it perhaps something to do with a clean-up? We consistently clean up after every use. Help!
    Thanks in advance.
    Patty
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 17, 2005, 05:39 AM
    Could be that your hardware isn't quite up to XP standards. If your machine originally came with Win 98, it means its an older machine. I had problems running XP on an older CPU and finally junked the machine.
    keenu Posts: 114, Reputation: 9

May 18, 2005, 08:59 PM
    Older machine?
    Oh, no, my man, I have the most up-to-date stuff. The only thing old is my monitor. I have 80 gig hard drive, AMD Processor, a very good graphics card, good sound card, 528 mg ram and so forth. Nothing old here.
    It's not that. I don't know what the heck it is but I know what it's not.
    Any other ideas?

May 19, 2005, 04:48 AM
    Whether you have upgraded the machine or not, if it originally came with Win 98, its an older machine. You don't say what processor you have. But the only thing that comes to mind is incompatibility. I had a machine with an older AMD. XP installed on it, I had upgraded some of the components, but it never worked that well. So I finally got a new machine.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

May 29, 2005, 06:38 AM
    Xp
    Hi,
    XP should run fine on your machine; and having 98 previously on it should not be a problem.
    Here is a link:

http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsXP/e...2october07.asp

It is well written, step by step, on installing XP. Please check it out, and see if you have followed all the steps.
    You might want to try re-installing it.
    There is no reason why it shouldn't work.
    fredg

May 29, 2005, 09:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by fredg
    Hi,
    XP should run fine on your machine; and having 98 previously There is no reason why it shouldn't work.
    Fred,

Have you EVER installed XP? That XP was designed for newer machines. If a machine came preinstalled with Win 98, then it is an older machine. While its possible it will run XP, its just as possible, maybe more so, that it will have problems. For you to make a statement that it should work fine and they will have no problems without knowing the specs of the machine is irresponsible.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Activate Windows XP Home [ 11 Answers ]

Recently installed Windows XP Home edition ON work computer Do not have Internet world wide web access Receive prompt Have 11 days left to activate Windows XP What will happen if I do not activate

HELP! Windows xp home network setup problems [ 2 Answers ]

When I run the network setup wizard it freezes at the part where it configures the computer - it won't complete the setup and I don't know how to make it!! HELP!! :confused:

Problem with windows xp home upgrade [ 6 Answers ]

I'm trying to share files on a work group no domain(if fails,will try that later),I can see and share files from the home upgrade to xp pro but can't access from xp full install to upgrade? Printers work fine on both but can't dee files from xp pro full? Linksys 4 port DSL connection Tried...

Windows XP Home vs XP PRO [ 1 Answers ]

What are the differences between Windows XP for Home Use, and Windows XP Professional? Does the professional version have anything more than the home edition, and if so, what does it have? Thank you!

XP Home edition on Dell missing dll file [ 2 Answers ]

hi folks I try do repair xp home edition to a dell with the disk that come with and I'm getting a lot of missing dll files. After quite a few tries only the comrepl.dll is missing as the mswrd6.wpc also. I do have the files but where I should copy them? Can someone point where I should copy them?...

View more questions Search