Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Upforgrabs Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2009, 11:53 AM
    Coke versus diet Coke in the gas tank
    Depending on the source, some say that sugar in a gas tank will not cause any engine problems. Others say you'll need to replace the engine. That is quite a difference of opinion. I guess a why would be in order! Apparently since sugar will not dissolve in gas, the sugar will simply plug up the fuel filters. However, once the sugar has dissolved in water (condensation in the tank) or it is introduced into the tank as a liquid (syrup or Coke for example) won't the sugar solution pass through the filters and eventually into the combustion chambers. If so wouldn’t the heat crystallize the sugar, leaving deposits on the valves causing problems. If so, what happens if Diet Coke or Diet Pepsi is used? If I knew a chemist I'd ask them also.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 29, 2009, 01:02 PM

They had this on mythbusters some time ago
    MythBusters (a Titles & Air Dates Guide)

There was little reaction to sugar in a gas tank. Of course a person doing this, normally to someone else's car is breaking the law and could be liable for having the effect checked out.

The other issue we are talking about 16 oz of coke, to 20 plus gallons of gas, if you put in 3 or 4 gallons of coke it would have more of an effect

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can Diet Coke/Diet Pepsi ruined your diet? [ 17 Answers ]

Hello, Iam Writing To You Because Iam One Of Those People That Have Been Trying To Lose Some Pounds.. I Have Been Cutting Off The Sweets, Fatting And Anything Else That Gains Weight.. I Also Have Been Doing Exercise.. my Only Question Is If Diet Coke Gains Weight Even Though If Its Diet?. My...

My best friend does coke [ 13 Answers ]

Well my best friend does coke and every time she does it she insists on telling me. The guy she does it with is now locked up, and every time I talk to her she is always talking about him how do I tell her I do not care about him or her coke addiction with out being mean?

Song from diet coke ad with girl and barbershop [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know the name of the song that is playing during the diet coke ad where a girl with long hair is looking into a barbershop window and decides to go in and get her hair cut very short? Its usually airs when the olympics are on. The ad has changed the lyrics and I don't remember the...

Coke [ 2 Answers ]

Need to know some prices on Coke collectables. Some are glasses, bears, bottles. Glassart

View more questions Search