Jan 25, 2006, 10:15 AM
    Leaky pipe
    My water supply line pipe to toilet is leaking how do I fix it
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 25, 2006, 11:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by gayatri
    my water supply line pipe to toilet is leaking how do i fix it

Where's the leak? There are two compression joints plus a connection to the tank. Which one is it?
    Regards, Tom
    gayatri Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2006, 11:09 AM
    Leaky pipe
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    Where's the leak? There are two compression joints plus a connection to the tank. Which one is it?
    Regards, Tom
    Actually there is a cap on the pipe coming from basement yesterday there was so much water in my bathroom floor when I checked it its coming under the cap I guess its from the pipe underneath it
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 25, 2006, 11:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by gayatri
    actually there is a cap on the pipe coming from basement yesterday there was so much water in my bathroom floor when i checked it its coming under the cap i guess its from the pipe underneath it

This tells me nothing. Please be more specific. The material the pipe's made of. The connection it's leaking from and toilet supply lines do not have caps.
    Until I can understand what your problem is I can't be of much help. Regards, Tom
    gayatri Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2006, 10:41 AM
    Leaky pipe
    Pipe is going to toilet tank this pipe is below the shutoff valve does this help
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 26, 2006, 04:22 PM
    Are you saying that there is a threaded galvanized pipe with a chrome escutcheon plate around it coming up through the floor and connecting to a threaded 1/2 thread to 1/4" compression straight stop and that it's leaking at the threaded connrction? I'm still attempting to visualize your complaint. Regards, tom
    PalmMP3 Posts: 321, Reputation: 28

Jan 26, 2006, 05:13 PM
    I think I understand: he has a "stub-up" (from the floor) or "stub-out" (from the wall) which has a shutoff valve cut into it - but the original pipe continues a little bit past the valve, and is capped off; it is that cap that is leaking.

Is that correct, gayatri?

EDIT: Actually, I changed my mind. ;) I think he means it's a stub-UP with a straight valve, and the bottom half is leaking (whether FIPS or compression)
    PalmMP3 Posts: 321, Reputation: 28

Jan 26, 2006, 05:33 PM
    'Til we get this straight, lets try a different tack:

gayatri, just because the water SEEMS to be coming from a certain spot, it doesn't mean that's exactly where the water's coming from. Water has a nasty habit of travelling quietly - sometimes a few inches, sometimes several hundred feet - before it "appears". Therefore, take a paper towel and dry the whole thing very well. Then check carefully where the water is coming from. Don't just feel with your hand; shine a flashlight on the area, and see if you can catch the "glint" of the water. By doing this, you will hopefully be SURE of where the leak is coming from.

Next, anser these questions for us:
    1) Is the pipe sticking out of the wall behind the toilet, or the floor next to it?
    2) Look at these two valves:

Is yours like the one on the left (where the knob and pipe are on the ends, and the toilet tube is on the side), or the one on the right (where the pipe and toilet tube are on the ends, and the knob is on the side)?
    3) Can you tell what the pipe is made of: copper, galvanized, or something else?

One final tip: if you have access to a digital camera, posting a picture of the problem would be very helpful.

Cheers,
    Moishe

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leaky kitchen drain pipe [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, My kitchen sink drain pipe leaks where the black U-shaped (p-trap?) screws onto the straight pipe from the sink. I've read that there is supposed to be a plastic ring or fitting that goes between the two pipes inside, and then plumbers tape on the threads where it screws together. Is...

Natural gas pipe in bsmt is touching gas pipe [ 2 Answers ]

I just bought a house and in the basement the single wall furnace flue is touching the dark iron natural gas pipe, just before it enters the brick chimney , the water heater also has single wall flue that runs through wood structure. The previous owner put coffee cans around the flue, he cut off...

Leaky drain pipe from shower and sink [ 1 Answers ]

The drain pipe from bathroom sink and shower is leaking through the ceiling into the kitchen below. Can this pipe be replaced without breaking through bathroom floor?

Leaky pipe under kitchen sink [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I just moved into my new house and I have a problem with the kitchen sink. When water is just running through the sink and pipes, there is no leaking. However, when I fill up the sink with water (say to soak pots) and then let the water out, the pipes underneath leak terribly as though the...

Bathroom sink wall pipe drain pipe [ 2 Answers ]

My house was built in early 70's.. No plastic.. I'm putting in a new sink and had to remove the wall pipe that goes into the wall.. I needed a longer one. It seem where it goes in behind the wall into the plumbing there was some type of gasket as pieces of it fell out when I removed the pipe.. I...

View more questions Search