Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tina47 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2011, 10:13 AM
    Renters buying their residence under short sale
    We are in the processes of purchasing the home we've rented for the past 20yrs under "short sale'. Since we are the one's purchasing the home do we need to pay rent? We are in the first stages, but overall everyone one knows that we are buying? So do we have to pay rent or not? Is there a law behind this one?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 17, 2011, 10:20 AM
    Some of this is Federal Law. Some is State.

Where?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 17, 2011, 10:39 AM
    Of course you have to pay rent to the owner, they still own it, so unless you made some arrangement with the owner to not pay rent, yes you pay rent.

The short sale can take months 3 to 6 months often and the bank does not have to even accept the short sale offer,
    I have had dozens of short sale offers refused.

The owner of the property can merely evict you if you do not keep paying rent till you close on the property.
    tina47 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2011, 10:40 AM
    I'm in California. So since I'm in the process of buying the house we are renting Do I have to pay rent? Is their laws behind that?
    Expert

Oct 17, 2011, 05:19 PM
    Contract and rental laws. If someone else was buying the house, you still pay rent to the owner,

You have a contract to rent, you do not own it yet, and the sale may not even go though.
    The other person still owns it, till the day and minute you do a closing.

So you have to honor and follow the rules of your rental agreement. I can not understand why there is even a question on it. A short sale is still a sale, the seller and the bank has to agree to the sale. The only difference is the amount paid will be less than owed. But until the sale is done the old owner still owns it. This is not a foreclosure but even with a foreclosure, you would owe rent till the day it is foreclosed
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 17, 2011, 05:26 PM
    I agree with Chuck. Why is this even a question in your mind? The owner still owns the property. Until the sale is finalized, you owe him rental since you are using the property.

Since this is a short sale, I assume you aren't paying anything down unless its to reduce the amount of your mortgage. So the only benefit to the owner is to not have a foreclosure on their record.
    Expert

Oct 17, 2011, 05:41 PM
    I will say if the owners will agree to this, ( don't know why they should) but if they are tired of the rental property and want to walk away, who knows, but you owe it, till you either close on the property or the owners allow you to rent for free.

If you do not pay rent, they can evict you, and rent it to someone else until you purchase it and take ownership.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Buying a short-sale property with tenants [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! We've put in an offer on a short sale property as a rental investment, and am currently waiting on bank approval. There currently are tenants in the house six months into a one year lease. I actually consider this a good thing - it means no downtime in income while looking for a tenant. ...

Buying a short sale house [ 1 Answers ]

I bid on a short sale house in June 2009 and received a call from them after 10 months of waiting to go ahead buy the house but after we did the appraisal the house is no longer worth what they are selling for. It was appraised for less than 50k so, we made a bid again for the amount of the...

Renters rights when Short Sale has been approved by Bank [ 2 Answers ]

Advised by RE Agent on 9/28 that Bank approved offer with a 30 day escrow. Received a letter yesterday from the RE Agent stating we need to vacate by 10/15/09 and they will be changing locks. Can they do this? What are my rights and is there any way our stay here can be extended for another month?...

Renters rights in a short sale [ 1 Answers ]

The home I'm renting is in short sale and my land lord has faild to let me know that as a renter what do I do from here on out I'ved had four different realestate agents see the house with a very short notice sometimes they would call that same day

Renters in Short Sale of Property [ 2 Answers ]

We are realtors in Tampa Area and have a few homes listed for Short Sale that are tenant occupied. And we need to know what the Law actually states about the tenants rights and the validity of the lease. We were able to find information if the home is foreclosed on, but nothing addressing the short...

View more questions Search