Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bonita-- Posts: 301, Reputation: 17

Oct 24, 2009, 03:53 PM
    How long do charges stay on your record?
    I would like to know if you were charged and found guilty of charges such as theft, assault, selling drugs, gun possession and more, but you were given bail and bailed out and later on the charges were dropped or cleared, would they still be on your record? For example, if a cop asked for your license and then looked you up on his system, would he see those charges even though they were dropped or cleared? I live in Toronto, Ontario if it helps. Thanks.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 24, 2009, 06:31 PM

Hello b:

If you were found guilty, your record lasts forever. If you weren't, there is no record to worry about.

excon

Oct 25, 2009, 02:40 AM
    Oh OK, thank you. Would you happen to know if the cop can see your record when he pulls up your name? Say for example the person was found guilty and charged but received bail and then later on the charges were cleared, if a cop pulled over that person and searched their name, would they be able to see the charges when they put that person's name into their system?
    Uber Member

Oct 25, 2009, 06:12 AM

Hello again, B:

Your scenario is flawed. If a person is found guilty, then the charges haven't been cleared or dropped and aren't going to be.

Can a cop pull up your record from his police cruiser? Yes.

excon

Oct 25, 2009, 12:20 PM
    Hmmm I thought so. I'm asking because someone told me a story about how they were charged with all these things and they were arrested, found guilty and put into jail and later on received bail and eventually the charges were cleared. I told him that it was impossible for him to be found guilty and sentenced and then receive bail, so then his story changed to he wasn't put in jail he was put into something else like a jail. It still didn't make sense, and if he received bail then that means he was found guilty, which would mean that those charges would be on his record still, but they are not.

Recently I was in a car with that person and a cop asked for our licenses and he came back to the car and told us our records were "clean as a whistle", and I was wondering why he had a clean record if he had all those charges before, but I guess he was lying about it. Thank you for clearing all that up for me.
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Oct 25, 2009, 12:22 PM

He's telling stories to inflate his ego, and seem like a bad boy in front of his friends.

Oct 25, 2009, 01:42 PM
    Yup :rolleyes: His whole story makes no sense. Apparently he was charged for assault, attempted murder, theft, gun possession, selling drugs, domestic abuse and more. Those are some serious charges and now all of a sudden, two years later, his record is clean.

I would confront him about it but I have before and he just gets mad and insists that he was charged with all those things, so I don't bother. At least now I know he's lying for sure.
    redchrome5 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 20, 2011, 08:20 PM
    In Texas if u have a criminal conviction on your record how far back does a background go when answering the question have you ever been convicted of a criminal offense on a job application
    Uber Member

Sep 20, 2011, 08:31 PM
    Hello red:

As far as I know, it goes back forever.

excon
    silentwhispers Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2011, 07:32 AM
    The only way his record could be clean after a conviction, is if the conviction was over turned by the court and later the charges were dropped. This has happened to me. I was charged, convicted, charges were over turned, and a new trial was set, and later that day the charges were dismissed. So, this is the ONLY way his record could be clean, BUT, the arrest record would still be on file...
    TheoryIsland Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2012, 12:33 PM
    There are rare cases where a person is falsly convicted of a serious crime where they end up in jail but then have the issue recanted and are set free. If that happens his story would be accurate enough. As soon as your free of all charges it would no longer remain on their record.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Does a bogus charge that was dismissed stay on your record forever? [ 4 Answers ]

Two years ago I had been dating a girl for two years. I found out through a mis-sent email that she was cheating on me. I knew the person and I knew she was at his house at the time, so I went over there to ask what was going on. I didn't know which apmt was his, so I waited in the parking lot and...

How long do you have to press charges against someone. When will the police arrest . [ 4 Answers ]

How long to you have to press charges against a person.

How long can one press charges? [ 2 Answers ]

A controlled substance was found in my daughters system? How long from those results would her father have to press charges against the mother? Colorado Law

How long do you have to wait before fileing abandonment charges in TN [ 3 Answers ]

My brother had weekends with his kids until the day there mother dropped them off and said she wouldn't be back. When they arrived they had not changed there close or bathed in days. This being known by us questioning them. They had spent the last week in a hotel room with only popcorn to eat and...

View more questions Search