Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hyonboko Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2007, 07:27 AM
    Tenant not paying rent with new owner
    Hello,

When I sell a rental property and tenant decides not to pay the rent with new owner, am I in risk for any type of lawsuit by new owner? Thanks in advance,

Bo
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 18, 2007, 07:29 AM
    You shouldn't unless the tenant wasn't paying BEFORE the sale and you failed to disclose that fact. But if the tenant just decides to stop paying after the property has changed hands that shouldn't be your responsibility.
    hyonboko Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2007, 09:10 AM
    Am I required to voluntarily provide that info?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 18, 2007, 09:25 AM
    Hello h:

The buyer will know that the house is rented and that he's going to be the new landlord. That's a material fact that isn't going to be hidden from him.

However, if he doesn't know the landlord business very well, it's not up to you to teach him. So, no. You don't need to tell him anything about your tenant, unless the guy is a flake and doesn't pay his rent.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 18, 2007, 11:17 AM
    I agree with excon, that you don't need to tell him anything about the tenant except what affects his status as a tenant. Therefore if he was in arrears prior to the sale, then you needed to disclose this. If you knew the tenant was a druggie that was trashing the place, you needed to disclose things like that.

But as I said, if the tenant was in arrears and you did not disclose that fact, then you probably can be sued over it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a tenant leave without paying rent due? [ 9 Answers ]

Ok, I tried finding the answer to this question, and I can't seem to find anything on this: The situation is that one of our tenants owes a substantial amount of rent, we just got a letter from them saying they want to leave in 30 days and set up a payment plan (they owe a lot of money and...

Roommate stopped paying rent, how to kick him out? [ 6 Answers ]

My mother-in-law bought a condo in CT. She is the legal owner. Her boyfriend moved in with her, they had no written agreement or contract. There was an understanding he would pay for 'rent' however this was not consistent and payment amounts varied. The relationship ended in May and he has ceased...

Eviction and still paying rent? [ 1 Answers ]

My friend is living in a crappy apartment that she is to pay 650 dollars a month for. Her and her exboyfriend are on the lease but he doesn't pay his half of rent. The landlord told her that if she payed 325 of it she could just move out. Now she is saying that she is going to evict her and she is...

Roommate not paying rent, but leaving in 3 weeks. [ 3 Answers ]

My roommate is moving out oct 26, 2006 - he is not on the lease, I am, and we have a verbal agreement.. he has been OK up to this point - last month he paid 1/2 his rent and this month he has still not paid. What I am asking is, if he does not pay this months rent, and he is out in 3 weeks...

Sister-in-law Not Paying Rent [ 10 Answers ]

Help! My sister-in-law rents from us at our salon and she is behind two months in rent. When she started renting from us about 1 year ago, she agreed to pay rent. She only works one day a week and we gave her the first 2 months rent free to help her get on her feet. When we asked for rent on...

View more questions Search