Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mumma Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2008, 02:16 PM
    Statute of limitations - canada student loans
    I realize that this topic has been discussed in other areas; all of which I have read. I still find no definitive answer to my question - Is there limitations as to when a student loan default can be enforced? Basically I had student loans from 1994. Which went into default. I am in Ontario Canada and have Nor-don contacting me. I believe that the amount they are trying to collect would be the 'risk' portion. But again I don't know. Who do I call, how do I find out. Can I call the Student Loans department of the Gvt? I know if I call the bank I will get nowhere because I have tried it in the past. Can I tell Nor-don that the loan is noncollectable due to the Statute?
    Thanks
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 2, 2008, 02:46 PM
    Your best bet is calling the student loans department of the cdn. gov. Don't bother with either nordon or the bank. Unfortunately statute of limitations in Ontario is vague and changes quite a bit, so don't wonder you are having trouble finding out.
    Iknowalotofstuff Posts: 144, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2008, 09:29 PM

No Statute of Limitations for Ontario Student Loans. The Limitations Act 2002 and the Interpretations Act state this. There are limited provisions regarding Canada Student Loans. If you read the very last section of the Canada Student Loans Act and the Canada Student Financial Assistance Act, you will find the statutory provisions regarding being subject to a Statute of Limitations. Read it carefully to avoid problems.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Student Loans Statute of limitations [ 2 Answers ]

Can student loans from 1990 still be collected on? Every few years I get harassing phone calls and the amount owed is said to be 5x the original amount.

Statute of limitations in Canada [ 15 Answers ]

I want to know how long the statute of limitations is on a debt to a third party who secured a loan that was defaulted on. I am Canadian and the debt was incured here in Canada.:confused:

What is the statute of limitations in canada [ 2 Answers ]

What is the statute of limitations in canada regarding debt?

Statute of limitations/Canada [ 6 Answers ]

As no-one seems to have an answer to how long the duration of a debt is can anyone tell me if there is a limit to the collectability of a debt in Canada?:confused: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/images/smilies/confused.gif

US Student loans in Canada [ 3 Answers ]

I am a US citizen, Canadian resident and because of living here I have lost my license to practice my profession in the US. So, I am thinking of stopping to pay my student loans. What can the US creditors do to me here in Canada? How can I protect myself? I am married to a Canadian and all our...

View more questions Search