Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hawkeman Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Jan 22, 2006, 09:56 AM
    Open Limit Switch on B18099-13. Help!
    I have a furnace with the B18099-13 control board. The fan blows constantly whenever power is applied. The status LED on the control board indicates "OPEN LIMIT SWITCH"

Where are the two limit switches located? On board or off? Are there any tricks, quick-fixes, or "band-aids" for this situation or will I need a new B18099-13? I only ask because, as usual, this has happened on a Sunday and none of the electrical supply places are open.. . and it's pretty chilly in here.

Thanks in advance. Any help will be appreciated.

Tom
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2006, 11:51 AM
    Fortunately the limit switches are near the combustion chamber, not on the board. I would expect a normally open switch, but the error sounds like a normally closed switch.

Follow the wires running from the board to the heat exchanger. Limit switches are often sort of oval with 2 wires, maybe even 3. They are located someplace that get hot when the furnace is on. If you can find a schematic, it may even show the wire color. A normally closed switch will look kind of like this, __._.___ , and a normally open like __./.___ If the switch is bad, or a wire disconnected, it will tell the board the furnace is too hot shutting the gas off and leaving the blower run. You may be able to identify the problem by connecting the wires to each other. If that relieves the code, take the switch to an electrical supply and let them choose a new one.

Something went wrong. You may be able to get the furnace to run by leaving the wires connected. However, that way, the next time something goes wrong, the furnace could over heat and burn the house down. I hate to point this out since most people are sensible enough not to do that.
    wheatnbarley24 Posts: 63, Reputation: 3

Jan 22, 2006, 12:13 PM
    The limit switch could be open for something as simple as a dirty filter or cooling coil, or a blickage in the flu pipe
    hawkeman Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Jan 23, 2006, 05:39 AM
    Thank you both for the replies. I found the limit switch by tracing the red wires from the edge connector like you said, labman. It was simply a little dirty.

Removed it, gave it a quick contact cleaner bath, works fine now. Actually cleaned the furnace top to bottom. I'm going to get a spare limit switch just in case that one is going bad.

Thanks again lads.

Tom
    mikestpierre11 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2007, 12:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkeman
    I have a furnace with the B18099-13 control board. The fan blows constantly whenever power is applied. The status LED on the control board indicates "OPEN LIMIT SWITCH"

Where are the two limit switches located? On board or off? Are there any tricks, quick-fixes, or "band-aids" for this situation or will I need a new B18099-13? I only ask because, as usual, this has happened on a Sunday and none of the electrical supply places are open... ...and it's pretty chilly in here.

Thanks in advance. Any help will be appreciated.

Tom

Tom,
    I have had the same problem with the same board (B18099-13) on my Goodman Forced Hot-Air system. Only the status light is showing normal. When not calling for heat, the blower still runs blowing cold air throughout the house. I suspect the board will need to be replaced. I located one for under $100. Let me know if you need the info

Mike St. Pierre
    Repairin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2010, 11:05 PM
    Hi All, so once we find the limit switch needs to be replaced, where can the replacement parts be ordered on-line at a reasonable price? Thanks!
    nasim1942 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2012, 07:13 AM
    My furnace fan continuous runs never stop , either heat or cold off. It continuous runs 24/7 , I have no selection on thermostat board to turn it off,
    Is it normal that fan runs all time even the ac turn off or heating burner turn off.?
    The mechanic says may be fan switch is faulty, I am confused, please help me.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Furnace Limit Switch [ 15 Answers ]

I've raised this issue in other forums. I have a high efficiency furnace that has worked flawlessly for the last four years (the house was built in 2000). This year we had to have the circuit board replaced. After that there was a problem with the blower, i.e. it wasn't shutting down after the...

What is a limit switch? [ 4 Answers ]

When I woke up this AM my heater was blowing cold air and the fan wouldn't turn off. All other gas appliances, etc. worked fine. The indicator light on my furnace shows an open limit switch, but I have no clue where to even look for this. A little help?

Limit switch [ 1 Answers ]

My air conditioner's pan was full, we emptied it and now it won't cut on. Where is the reset button for the limit switch? Is there one? We can't find it.

Faulty limit switch? [ 6 Answers ]

Toward the end of a heating cycle, the burners would shut down and the fail code would read "open limit switch". The repairman said the limit switch was faulty and installed a new one a couple of days ago. It seemed to work fine until this morning, and now it's doing the same thing as mentioned...

Limit Switch - Pressure Switch [ 0 Answers ]

Hello Folks, This weekend I've been playing with a heating system at my new apartment and I'm trying to figure out what the different componets do. I kind of followed the circuit but still have some missing links... 1-There are some terminals on the furnace's circuit board labeled LIMIT. The...

View more questions Search