Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Mar 5, 2008, 08:49 PM
    Using paypal
    Is it safe to use paypal. My son wants to buy a pair of shoes from a company called Eastbay. I have used companies such as LL Bean/credit card with no problems... just wondering though. Thanks
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Mar 5, 2008, 09:09 PM
    Many people swear by Pay Pal -- I am not one of them -- They required me

To give them my bank account number and were able to withdraw money

From my account. Somehow someone got access to my Pay Pal account and

In three days drained my bank account -- financial disaster... They were able to

Reverse the charges and put money in Pay Pal account -- had trouble getting

It out of Pay Pal account... Then two years later someone charged $2400 to

My Pay Pal account -- I immediately closed my account and hope I never

Have to deal with them again -- They lost a loyal customer!!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 5, 2008, 09:31 PM
    Use them every day, have used them for years, never had a single issue.
    They have even paid me back when I have bought things and never received them. I would seldom use anything else when buying online
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Mar 5, 2008, 09:35 PM
    I've used them for the past 8 years without a single problem. In fact, I trust paypal more than I trust using my credit card as once, paypal refunded me my money back for a defective item via eBay.
    seenbutnotheard Posts: 59, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2008, 11:17 PM
    I also use them every day, they have always been good, never had a problem. I don't know what biggsie is all hot about, no one can charge money to your account, they can request money, but you don't have to pay if you don't want to. You just have to have a general understanding of how internet business and monetary transactions are done, if you do your fine. Also biggsie I can send you a bill in the mail for $2400 are you going to get rid of your mail box so you won't have to pay it.
    Ultra Member

Mar 18, 2008, 03:24 AM
    If you think no one can charge you without you knowing it -- DREAM ON

PAY PAY -- Had my bank account number and would take money out of

My bank account -- some LOW LIFE SCUM SUCKER got access to PAY PAY

Took every penny of hard earned money I had in that bank account -- so

I'm flat broke and they have no clue how it happened... Bills to pay and

No money to pay them -- that was the first time... So I'm getting emails asking

For money for things I didn't buy -- PAY PAY said someone found my PAY PAY

Account number on my Hotmail account and I had problems with that -- who

Was trying to log into my email account -- who is reading my email??

So I changed PASSWORDS --- CLOSED MY BANK ACCOUNT -- Threw out the

Baby with the bath water -- did I mention HOW PISSED OFF MY WIFE WAS!!

WE JUST GOT ROBBED -- AND SHE"S PISSED AT ME -- CAN'T PAY BILLS

Credit run through the mud -- took several months to work through the mess

THEY CREDIT BUT HAVE TROUBLE SENDING ME THE MONEY -- CAN TAKE MONEY

OUT BUT CAN'T PUT IT BACK IN MY ACCOUNT... WE'RE SORRY IS ALL I GET

I thoght those dumbasses had things fixed -- a year later I get a bill from PAY PAY

For jewlry $2400 I did not purchase -- after the hell they put me through -- I feel like

THEY DESERVE A LITTLE FREE ADVERTIZING -- PAY PAL SUCKS A BIG ONE!!

If you think it can't happen to you DREAM ON -- zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    curlybenswife Posts: 2,477, Reputation: 267
    Ultra Member

Mar 18, 2008, 03:34 AM
    If you are stupid enough to have a hackable password then you get what you deserve.

I like chuck have used paypal for over 5 years they have been extreamly helpful in many different circumstances but I also have the sense to have it linked to a bank account that never has more than 50 pounds in and it's the type of account that if the moneys not there then it don't work.
    There are many that have scare storys but it the pro's out weigh the cons if you as me and if you are sensible enough to use it properly and keep it well protected then things like that don't happen I certainly wouldn't put anything like that to a credit card or a main bank account come on your asking for trouble.
    Ultra Member

Mar 18, 2008, 04:49 AM
    Biggsie there is no need for your rudeness I never said I was safe no one is safe anywhere I have taken a lot more care than you obviously did with your account you were unlucky doesn't mean that every other user will be the same does it, there are security issues all over the net and if you are aware of them and happy to take the chance then it's the chance takers deal isn't it doesn't mean that you need to be on a self crusade to stop people using paypal we are adults and able to make the decision ourselves.
    Ultra Member

Mar 18, 2008, 08:42 AM
    Anybody who uses Pay Pal is stupid!!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 18, 2008, 08:48 AM
    I'm another happy Paypal user. I don't use them too often, but I have used them to make purchases from vendors and I use it to make it easier for clients to pay me. I have never had a problem with any payments.

To biggsie,
    No paypal is not 100% safe, nothing is. You could lose your credit card, someone could steal your checking account info, there are many ways one can lose money. What happened to you is unfortunate, but I don't think it was Paypal's fault. What I suspect happened, is someone got your PayPal password, how I don't know there there are a number of possibilities. Once they got your password, they can enter your account transfer money from your linked bank account and send that money to themselves. I'm not entirely sure how this could have been done without any notice to you. But I wonder if you ignored paypal notices.

But the main point is they got your password, if they had gotten your ATM password would you claim that ATMs are unsafe? Millions use Paypal daily without a problem. Its wrong to condemn them just because a few people have had problems. Warn people that there are risks, yes. But condemn the company because you allowed your password to fall into the wrong hands, no.
    Ultra Member

Mar 18, 2008, 09:09 AM
    I thought I explained fully -- This did not happen just one time

I have done everything I could to cooperate with them

I changed passwords and reported suspicious emails

I bent over backwards to keep my account safe

My thoughts about PAY PAY stand --??

When your Idenity is stolen maybe you'll change your tune

I'll be the one laughing while they are hosing you
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Mar 18, 2008, 09:13 AM
    My wife uses Paypal for her little eBay retail therapy excursions and she's a noob. I have heard good things of EastBay and they seem very respectable. They accept quite a few forms of payment: Eastbay
    Ultra Member

Mar 18, 2008, 09:16 AM
    There is also nochex too NK they do it as one off payments no account needed.

Nochex Merchant Account: Internet Payment Solutions for Credit and Debit Card Processing

Mar 18, 2008, 10:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by biggsie
    I thought I explained fully -- This did not happen just one time
    I have done everything I could to cooperate with them
    I changed passwords and reported suspicious emails
    I bent over backwards to keep my account safe
    My thoughts about PAY PAY stand -- ???
    When your Idenity is stolen maybe you'll change your tune
    I'm not asking you to change your thoughts, but the likelihood of someone's account being compromised using paypal is very small. I'm not saying its not impossible. Again, Paypal has millions of users. If this were a commonplace occurrence, that would not be the case.
    seenbutnotheard Posts: 59, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2008, 06:30 PM
    If you think no one can charge you without you knowing it -- DREAM ON

PAY PAY -- Had my bank account number and would take money out of

my bank account -- some LOW LIFE SCUM SUCKER got access to PAY PAY

Took every penny of hard earned money I had in that bank account -- so

I'm flat broke and they have no clue how it happened... Bills to pay and

no money to pay them -- that was the first time... So I'm getting emails asking

for money for things I didn't buy -- PAY PAY said someone found my PAY PAY

account number on my Hotmail account and I had problems with that -- who

was trying to log into my email account -- who is reading my email???

So I changed PASSWORDS --- CLOSED MY BANK ACCOUNT -- Threw out the

baby with the bath water -- did I mention HOW PISSED OFF MY WIFE WAS !!!!!

WE JUST GOT ROBBED -- AND SHE"S PISSED AT ME -- CAN'T PAY BILLS

Credit run through the mud -- took several months to work through the mess

THEY CREDIT BUT HAVE TROUBLE SENDING ME THE MONEY -- CAN TAKE MONEY

OUT BUT CAN'T PUT IT BACK IN MY ACCOUNT ... WE'RE SORRY IS ALL I GET

I thoght those dumbasses had things fixed -- a year later I get a bill from PAY PAY

for jewlry $2400 I did not purchase -- after the hell they put me through -- I feel like

THEY DESERVE A LITTLE FREE ADVERTIZING -- PAY PAL SUCKS A BIG ONE!!!

If you think it can't happen to you DREAM ON -- zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    Two things I see wrong with your post here. First you are using a hotmail account the easiest to gain access to. Second pay-pal doesn't use account numbers.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 18, 2008, 07:36 PM
    I will add a few, when I ordered something and it was not shipped, paypal gave me all my money back, wonderful service.

Today I had a issue, guess someone had "stolen or hacked my system" well got them on the phone, had a live person in a less than a minute, they reset my system, froze any money transferred did not lose a dime,
    My local back has never worked so hard and protected my money.

I know bad happens, it happens with banks, ATM cards, credit cards and more. So I find them no worst than any other payment system I have used online
    KCDave Posts: 61, Reputation: 5

Mar 19, 2008, 12:32 PM
    I have used Paypal and several other online accounts for years with no problems. I will add this, a while back I would get regular emails telling me I needed to update my Paypal account info, when I clicked on the link it started asking me for my visa number, SSN all kinds of stufff. I just read on and laughed. I finally looked at the URL and it was not the Paypal site, but looked just like it. You have to be VERY careful online.
    Allheart Posts: 1,639, Reputation: 436
    Ultra Member

Mar 22, 2008, 02:33 AM
    Anybody who uses Pay Pal is stupid !!!

You have such a wonderful way of expressing yourself. Well done!

First, off, calling and generalizing folks in a negative way will only result in your message not being heard.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad

Okay, got that out of my system.

All systems have the potential for flaws - Oddly enough, a little while back, hubby
    Wanted to purchase something on Ebay, and guess what he signed up with to pay for it..
    Paypal. Now grant you, he purposelsy picked his lowest credit card threshold, just to be safe, cause not only is he handsome and wonderful, but he's smart too :) And so are my friends who use it.

For work, I had the highest level secured card issued - and guess what - it got hit.

So no matter what tool you use, keep both eyes open.
    azanerd Posts: 41, Reputation: 0

Mar 23, 2008, 04:56 PM
    There are websites dedicated to PayPal horror stories where PayPal users share their bad experiences. They succeeded in changing my mind about using PayPal.

PayPal - Horror Stories, Lawsuits, PayPal Problems & Information - PayPal Account
    PayPalSucks.com is where you will learn about the PayPal Class Action Lawsuit, Abuse, Fraud & evil behind the PayPal system!
    Paypal Problems, Information, Issues, Class Action Lawsuits - PayPal

Personally, I believe that PayPal does occasionally do people wrong. But, of course, if they were to do it all the time to a lot of different people then they wouldn't get away with it. So maybe they just rip off a small percentage of their users and leave the majority alone so they don't draw too much suspicion to themselves.

Mar 23, 2008, 05:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by azanerd
    Personally, I believe that PayPal does occasionally do people wrong. But, of course, if they were to do it all the time to a lot of different people then they wouldn't get away with it. So maybe they just rip off a small percentage of their users and leave the majority alone so they don't draw too much suspicion to themselves.
    That's totally ridiculous. Why would a company risk alienating their customers just to rip a few of them off. Yes some customers have had problems. But to believe Paypal is doing this purposely is just ridiculous.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Service like paypal [ 2 Answers ]

Is there a cheaper service like paypal?

Paypal troubles [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I am new to this site and I am seeking some desperate advice on a situation I am in. I while back now I started selling items on eBay for a guy called dave, how it worked was I listed the item on my eBay account when it was sold I would email dave what was sold and where to post it to. This...

Advantages of using paypal [ 12 Answers ]

What are the advantages of using paypal for purchasing of eBay

Debt by paypal [ 3 Answers ]

OK so there is a problem with paypal I am short 400 dollars saying it received a fraud trancations so on the policy I got to be at least 18 and I am only 17 can they do anything?

View more questions Search