Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gwalker Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2007, 09:46 PM
    Resignation via email
    I work in the IT industry.

Can I resign from a company via email and indicate that the resignation is effective immediately ?

I do have another position to go to, and I do not want to go back to my old company.
    I am not working on any major projects and any outstanding work I can place on the network drive.

Any company assests can be returned via courier.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 4, 2007, 10:19 PM
    You can, don't expect a good reference from them by doing this,

You should give a one week notice at very min and it should be done professionally, if you want to send one by email, you call them first and tell them, saying it will be forwrded by an eamil.

Basically if and when they call your old company in the future, this will be the story remembered about your entire employment normaly
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 4, 2007, 10:52 PM
    I wouldn't resign from a position by email. It does make you look unprofessional. Besides looking unprofessional, what if the email system isn't working? Another thing is that anything that you send electronically can potentially be altered.

In spite of all our technology, if it is to be something personally stated as being official and really from a person, then it still needs to have your handwritten signature on it to give weight and value to it, to whom it is addressed.

If you are under any sort of time constraint, then how about giving your resignation to someone who works there who you can trust to give it to the proper person?
    AW805 Posts: 283, Reputation: 43

May 6, 2007, 03:27 PM
    I've called my manager first to let them know a resignation would be coming by email. You certainly want to be professional and not burn any bridges. You should give a two week notice however, management may decide that they may want to release you prior to the two weeks being up.

You never know, word can get around or you may run into someone you know at your new company. You don't want to be know as the person that left your old employer high and dry.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Email Qn [ 6 Answers ]

Would like to know your views regarding the following: If someone forward you an email and before the forwarded content was " Please followup. Thanks and Regards, xxx "

Email Our troops and be email pen pals [ 6 Answers ]

Does anyone know how we can email our women and men serving our country. I think it would be great to have overseas pen pals. To be able to talk to them, and let them know we support them . And give the other people to talk to state side.

Email [ 2 Answers ]

How do I send a song to another email address?

Can't email [ 2 Answers ]

I have an email address from Yahoo. I can receive emails but once I go to send one, when I'm on the page were it asks there email address and subject, but there is no box where I can write my email. It has the subject and their address but below that it has no box to write. But I asked my...

Sent Email [ 7 Answers ]

Is there a way that I can get notification that an email has been read? Thanks

View more questions Search