Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sithxace Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 1, 2003, 06:13 AM
    LAN problem
    Hi, I bought a D-link 8 port router when I got my cable internet connection. I have my own built computer that has a cheap R-45 port NIC for mine and the one upstairs. My computer that I am on right now connected to the router which is connected to my cable modem and here I am, online. I have RJ-45 cable through the walls to the computer upstairs. The computer updstairs is a windows ME and this computer I' on now is a Windows XP. When I connect the RJ-45 to the upstairs computer through the same NIC I'm using on my computer now, it doesn' detect any internet nor my Windows XP down here. I've created a Network disk with my Win ME and installed it to my XP and no effect, same with making a disk with my XP and installing it to my upstairs computer. So how could I get this working? Does this problem have anything to do with Windows ME a terrible operating system that everyone says? M router detects my computer upstairs by having a light pop up when connected. This is my first time making my own network but I am not a N-user. Far from it.

PROBLEM: Get computer 2 (Windows ME0 to work with computer 1 (Win XP) that is currently using the router for internet connection.
    elina Posts: 136, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2003, 12:59 AM
    LAN problem
    Sixace, hi, did you install the disk that came with the modem into the WIN ME PC upstairs? After you re-boot and if WIN ME is still not connected to the net, try shutting all devices off and unplugging them, beginning with the router, modem, then your 2 PCs. Wait for about 5 minutes. Then, plug them back on in that order, and see if WIN ME connects to the net. ;)

Sep 6, 2003, 01:09 AM
    LAN problem
    By the way, yeah, WIN ME is the worst of all WINDOWS OS, but as long as you know you haven't done anything drastic to WIN ME like messing around and changing the registry, WIN ME should be OK... but a very decent OK, though. Me, and most guys, probably wouldn't use ME as the first choice. But back to your network problem, ME is not to blame. The problem boils down to several things: the modem and router setup, cables, drivers, and other softwares you may have in ME like winroute that may conflict with the modem driver.
    Sithxace Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2003, 05:37 AM
    LAN problem
    Wehh I'm just going to upgrade my ME into XP

Oct 8, 2003, 10:05 PM
    LAN problem
    Sithxace, good, if you can afford it. Also, I suggests after you have upgraded WIN M E to WIN XP, go to the options at top of IE menu and select WINDOWS UPDATE to make sure all your system files are up-to-date, if Microsoft hasn't yet automatically directed you to their update site when you open your broswer for the 1st time.
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Mar 30, 2004, 01:45 PM
    LAN problem
    Also, make sure that if the router has a DCHP server setting enabled, that the winME computer is set to obtain its DNS servers and IP automatically.
    Metamorphousthe Posts: 27, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2004, 08:51 AM
    Re: LAN problem
    We network xp and me together all the time, as long as you keep the me updated and have all the proper drivers for it installed it should share the internet and network fine.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Playboy girlfirend problem.. Real problem [ 14 Answers ]

I have this new girlfriend.. that I really, really like (more than any other). She seems really nice... she was wearing everything of the "playboy" (earrings, bag, shirt, etc, etc) brand name / merchandise. I thought it was cute and a one time thing. Until I saw her bedroom.. It was 100%...

View more questions Search