Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    twhitfield16 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2011, 07:16 AM
    Can you get a nursing license with a felony in Florida?
    My wife got charged with stealing $100 when she work for Wal-Mart 12 years ago. Is it possible for her to get her nursing license?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 2, 2011, 07:24 AM

Most likely she will not get a nursing license with a felony in any state. However, if she does happen to be lucky enough to get a license with this kind of background, it will be near impossible for her to get employment.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 2, 2011, 07:30 AM

I did not think a $100 thieft qualified as even a 3rd degree felony in Florida. Are sure this was considered a felony, why?
    twhitfield16 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2011, 10:13 AM
    Comment on ballengerb1's post
    Yes, looking at her record it has third degree felony. Wal-Mart dropped the charges but the state picked up the case. Why? I don't know. After read the detail she was charged with grand theft. So, we have to find out why and if it can be revised. More than likely not. Thanks for your reply.

The detail from the county web page;
    Statute: 812.014
    Level/Degree: Felony - Third Degree
    Charge Number: 1
    Offense: GRAND THEFT
    Disposition: Def Sent/Adj WH
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 2, 2011, 11:21 AM

So I wonder which part of the statute she violated to be charged with a felony. "(c) It is grand theft of the third degree and a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084, if the property stolen is:

1. Valued at $300 or more, but less than $5,000.

2. Valued at $5,000 or more, but less than $10,000.

3. Valued at $10,000 or more, but less than $20,000.

4. A will, codicil, or other testamentary instrument.

5. A firearm.

6. A motor vehicle, except as provided in paragraph (a).

7. Any commercially farmed animal, including any animal of the equine, bovine, or swine class, or other grazing animal, and including aquaculture species raised at a certified aquaculture facility. If the property stolen is aquaculture species raised at a certified aquaculture facility, then a $10,000 fine shall be imposed.

8. Any fire extinguisher.

9. Any amount of citrus fruit consisting of 2,000 or more individual pieces of fruit.

10. Taken from a designated construction site identified by the posting of a sign as provided for in s. 810.09(2)(d).

11. Any stop sign.

12. Anhydrous ammonia.

However, if the property is stolen within a county that is subject to a state of emergency declared by the Governor under chapter 252, the property is stolen after the declaration of emergency is made, and the perpetration of the theft is facilitated by conditions arising from the emergency, the offender commits a felony of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084, if the property is valued at $5,000 or more, but less than $10,000, as provided under subparagraph 2. or if the property is valued at $10,000 or more, but less than $20,000, as provided under subparagraph 3. As used in this paragraph, the term “conditions arising from the emergency” means civil unrest, power outages, curfews, voluntary or mandatory evacuations, or a reduction in the presence of or the response time for first responders or homeland security personnel. For purposes of sentencing under chapter 921, a felony offense that is reclassified under this paragraph is ranked one level above the ranking under s. 921.0022 or s. 921.0023 of the offense committed.

(d) It is grand theft of the third degree and a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084, if the property stolen is valued at $100 or more, but less than $300, and is taken from a dwelling as defined in s. 810.011(2) or from the unenclosed curtilage of a dwelling pursuant to s. 810.09(1).

(e) Except as provided in paragraph (d), if the property stolen is valued
    "
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 2, 2011, 11:21 AM

Has to be more too it, 100 dollar theft should not be a felony, it goes by dollar amount, was she accused of stealing more ( even if she only took 100)
    Was there other causes for the charges, was a weapon involved ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Will a felony conviction prevent me from getting a nursing license? [ 8 Answers ]

I am going to school for nursing, and unfortunately I have a current charge of grand larceny 3rd degree... a class D felony pending from a previous employer. I am fighting the charge with a court appointed attorney, but I don't have much confidence that my attorney will get the charge dropped or...

Lpn nursing license [ 3 Answers ]

I attended lpn school in 2000 and graduated but did not sit for boards. I have a burgalary of a conveyance charge and possession of cocaine can I sit for boards

Can I go to nursing school with and felony on my record? The felony was in 2003 and [ 2 Answers ]

It was and possession of and controlled substance and class four felony

Can you get a nursing license if you have retail theft on a criminal record? [ 1 Answers ]

Got a retail theft crime and I am in nursing school, can I get my license

Lost my nursing license in 2003 [ 9 Answers ]

:o:( I lodt mu nursing license in 2003 when I failed a drug test... cannibas

View more questions Search