Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kentucky53 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2006, 07:07 PM
    Wiring for multiple light switches
    I have three light switches that control one light fixture. In the past, they all turned the light of and on independently. But recently it depends on where you turn if off. In some cases, it won't turn on at another switch. Someone told me it was the wiring or the switches.

Nobody has changed the wiring (the house is 5 years old and nothing has been changed out). So I replaced a 4 way switch, and two three way switches (I made sure that I wired it exactly the way it was). But it didn't solve the problem. I am at a loss for what it might be, or what to do next.

Thanks for the advice
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Apr 29, 2006, 07:17 PM
    Sounded as if there was a defective switch, but you changed them all. Could be the wires at the four way were put on wrong, each set of travlers, one pair or wires from each cable, need to go on top and bottom of the four way, and not paired by the side terminals.

Hope this makes sense, there does seem to be a mis wire, but may be difficult to explain how to get this right.
    dclynch Posts: 202, Reputation: 19

May 1, 2006, 06:56 AM
    If you have three switches that control one light, I think the switches should all be the same. Perhaps the four-way should be a three-way.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

May 1, 2006, 12:13 PM
    Here is a wiring diagram for a 3 way-4 way-3 way switch setup.

Not sure how to use more than two 3 way switches without using a 4 way switch.

As I noted, the travelers must be connected to the 4 way switch correctly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

3 amp 25 volt light switches [ 5 Answers ]

I Am Upgrading A House That Was Built In 1963 And The Light Switches Have Never Been Changed,the House Was A Ge Home And All The Light Switches Are Low Voltage.does Anyone Know Where I Can Find Replacement Swithches?they Are 3 Amp 25 Volt Switches.

Wiring Leviton 3 way motion sensor switches [ 17 Answers ]

Have done a search and found another post with the same question, but no info on the reslution of the problem. I put in a stairwell to the basement with a landing and 90 deg turn. I have installed a light fixture above the landing to light the stair well and want to control it with motion...

Light switches [ 1 Answers ]

Here is a strange one. I am visiting my father, and he recently replaced an outlet in one bedroom and now the light switch no longer works. He didn't touch the switch at all. Here is the really odd part... now the same problem is in the adjoining bedroom. However, they are on different...

Question about back stab connections for light switches [ 1 Answers ]

We are in a newly built home and after being there about 2 years we have noticed that some of the light switches have been popping. They are actually 3 switches that control the same light fixture. All 3 are in different boxes. I noticed these switches were installed using the back stabbed method....

Ceiling Fan single switch/Light two 3-way switches [ 1 Answers ]

How do I wire... Ceiling Fan with Light switched separately. Light to be controlled by two 3-way switches and fan controlled by a separate single switch. :confused:

View more questions Search