Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pamlarkin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2006, 10:42 AM
    Car Accident Settlement
    I was in a car accident and in May 14, 2006 will be the limit to file. I've been working with the insurance company and they want to settle for 13,500. $6,762.75 in what they claim are medical cost and 6,500.00 for my pain and suffering. My medical cost comes out to 14,000, milage @1,095.26. I heard that the common rule is 3 times the medical cost, is this correct?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Feb 3, 2006, 12:19 PM
    I'm skeptical of a "rule of thumb" for this situation.

I do, though, think that triple is not unreasonable. So if that amount is acceptable to you, demand 5x knowing they'll counter with less.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 3, 2006, 04:10 PM
    There is no real rule of thumb, an attorney frined of mine when he actually had to file a suit, asked for 10 times the actual ( shock value I guess)

On the larger claims it was often dollar for dollar actual settlement and on smaller ones many times twice. If you are going to file suit, always file high,

And normally to actually get a good settlement you have to first file, don't ask me why, but I guess they hope they will get you to miss your filing date, or perhaps get you to settle for less.

And often unless you have an attorney, they just won't offer you as good of settlement,? don't know why
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 3, 2006, 08:06 PM
    File and ask for the sky,make sure your documentation is in order(paying an attorney a third is a wise move):cool:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Workplace accident [ 5 Answers ]

Is there a law that an accident report must be filled out when someone falls at work? Three people have fallen in my workplace now in the last 5 months because of water or soup on floor (I work in a restaurant). The one girl hit her head pretty hard but employer says he does not make out accident...

Accident settlement [ 3 Answers ]

What should I take into consideration when accepting a settlement from an auto accident? I do not have an attorney. I received medical treatment(therapy, etc.).

Car Accident [ 2 Answers ]

My Husband Was Involved In An Auto Accident In November 2004 - He Didn't See A Doctor Until December 2004 - Per The Insurance Company He Should Have Seen A Doctor Sooner - Is That Right? Once The Insurance Company Has The Case Open - How Long Does He Have To Settle?

Not At Fault Car Accident, What's Next? [ 2 Answers ]

I was Recently In A Car Accident That was not my Fault The Other Driver Took Responsibility For The Accident, But I Have Yet To Hear From His Insurance Company Which He Has Yet To Inform Me Of. The Police Don't Even Know His Insurance Company Either. He Was A Government Official And Driving A...

Car accident [ 1 Answers ]

I was in a car accident about a week ago.. Both cars have been ridden off. The other car was speeding and spun my car about . I have been to hospital for spinal checks.. And have been having muscle spasming and panic attacks thinking I was going paralyzed when I felt tingling in my feet. I have...

View more questions Search