Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    swedishkitten Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2007, 02:39 AM
    Toilet tank doesn't refill. No water in tank make it flush
    My toilet was working properly before tonight. :p There was no slow leak sound; nothing.

Now when the handle is pressed, nothing happens. I opened up the tank and found there was no water in the tank. :( I've been searching the Internet for answers, but haven't found any that address this particular problem.

I realize I can pour water down the toilet to temporarily get to to flush. I want to repair this.

Incidentally, the cut off valve under the toilet doesn't work. It hasn't worked for years. So to shut off the water, I must shut off the main valve in the basement. Since that doesn't shut it off completely, I turn on the basement faucet as a temporary fix.

From what I've read, I think the problem is the fill valve. My current fill valve is a simple looking white plastic part. It's not a FluidMaster brand.
    XenoSapien Posts: 627, Reputation: 42

Sep 23, 2007, 04:11 AM
    A white plastic part with an arm, and on the end of the arm, a round plastic "ball" about the size of a soft-ball? If so, you've got to shut down the water and open the assembly and flush it out--sounds like something is clogged to the point where it will not allow water to pass through the fill tube.

I would replace the shut-off for the toilet and install a new water-line and fluid master to make this easy.

XenoSapien
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 23, 2007, 05:07 AM
    The first thing thing you must do is to find out exactly where the blockage is.
    Shut the water off to the house and change out the angle stop under the tank. NMow when you have the angle stop off hold a pan over the open pipe and have someone turn the waster on for a second. If a full stream came out then you have a faulty ball cock that must be replaced. Good luck, Tom

Sep 23, 2007, 02:31 PM
    Did I mention I live alone? :o

I have to fix this on my own. :(

I'd have to put a container under it, go down turn the water on and off, and then go up to see if water came out. :confused:

The angle stop/supply hose (We are talking about the pipe that goes from the water to the tank, right?) was recently replaced by a friend, who is no longer available. Replacing that supply hose/angle stop would be relatively easy for me. If that is the problem.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Sep 23, 2007, 02:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by swedishkitten
    Did I mention I live alone? :o

I have to fix this on my own. :(

I'd have to put a container under it, go down turn the water on and off, and then go up to see if water came out. :confused:

The angle stop/supply hose (We are talking about the pipe that goes from the water to the tank, right?) was recently replaced by a friend, who is no longer available. Replacing that supply hose/angle stop would be relatively easy for me. If that is the problem.
    No one to help you..? Friend or neighbor? Rent-a-husband? Handyman? Co-worker?

You could call a plumber and be done with it...

Sep 23, 2007, 02:50 PM
    Also the angle stop/supply hose appears to be a bit longer than it needed to be, so it curls around a bit before it reaches the tank. It's one of those metal woven looking ones. I think I should buy a few different lengths, and return the ones that aren't the right length.
    That curl may be the cause of the problem.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Sep 23, 2007, 02:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by swedishkitten
    Also the angle stop/supply hose appears to be a bit longer than it needed to be, so it curls around a bit before it reaches the tank. It's one of those metal woven looking ones. I think I should buy a few different lengths, and return the ones that aren't the right length.
    That curl may be the cause of the problem.
    It could be holding sediment but I wouldn't think there'd be much... normal water flow should keep that clear. Any sharp angles that can cause restrictions may allow for a build up, but the hose fix would be simple and relatively inexpensive. However, you mentioned the cut-off valve doesn't work... corrosion here can totally congest that area of the water feed. Turn off the water in the basement and replace both the valve and the hose. Let us know!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 23, 2007, 03:09 PM
    Unless the supply hose is kinked I don't think that's the problem. I should have asked earlier, your ballcock, is it a float ball on a rod or a can on a wire. If it's a can on a wire you have a bad wawsher inside and the replacement's simple and easy. If you have a float ball on a rod the click on back and I'll give you solutions that a single person can hamdle by herself. Cheers, Tom
    kmorris Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2010, 09:05 PM
    I had the same trouble. A friend suggested I pour water in the tank and flush it a couple of times. You may have rust under the floater. It worked for me. I hope yours works out for you. There are few things more annoying in life than a toilet that doesn't work.
    babygirlmine Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2011, 02:54 PM
    This is crazy, but our subdivision had a major leak and the water was turned off for a day, then we had a major break the main supply line to three homes on my street. The water flew out over 35' in the air for hours, between our homes, before the utility company repaired it. When they turned the water on, all of our facuets worked except the output to our toilet, in the 2nd bathroom. I checked everything with the toilet, removed the hose from the water valve to the toilet, no blockage noted. Could the actual valve be broken, and can a layman repair it?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 16, 2011, 04:39 PM

You probably have debris in the fill valve. Which type of valve do you have.
    Attached Images

sheriffgiraff Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2013, 07:57 PM
    How do you fix the float ball on a rod. That's my problem.

Jul 12, 2013, 07:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
    You probably have debris in the fill valve. Which type of valve do you have.
    The first picture

Jul 12, 2013, 08:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sheriffgiraff View Post
    the first picture
    I'm not sure but it looks just like the first picture -- a long white tube.
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2013, 10:33 AM
    Hello Sheriffgiraff,

This thread was initiated back in 2007 and couple questions 2010 and 2011 sounds like a dead thread, please start a new thread and state your problem why do you need to adjust the ball ? We will tell you how to adjuste the float ball, Thanks.

John
    LenkaS Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2013, 05:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by babygirlmine View Post
    This is crazy, but our subdivision had a major leak and the water was turned off for a day, then we had a major break the main supply line to three homes on my street. The water flew out over 35' in the air for hours, between our homes, before the utility company repaired it. When they turned the water on, all of our facuets worked except the output to our toilet, in the 2nd bathroom. I checked everything with the toilet, removed the hose from the water valve to the toilet, no blockage noted. Could the actual valve be broken, and can a layman repair it?
    The EXACTLY same thing happened to me today and I am wondering if your could share with me what was the problem and how did you fix it? Many thanks!
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 26, 2013, 05:51 AM
    Well, we have EXACTLY the same question for you. Which type fill valve do you have?
    LenkaS Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2013, 09:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
    Well, we have EXACTLY the same question for you. Which type fill valve do you have?
    I have a Western toilet 1.6 gps model, have no idea what kind of valve it is, but here is a photo:
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet tank will not fill with water [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, When flushing the toilet, the bowl is full with water but the tanks is empty. When releasing the lever to flush the toilet neither the water in the bowl is released or does the tank fill with water, can you please advise what is causing this and how I can fix this trouble bymyself. ...

Toilet Tank will not fill with water [ 3 Answers ]

My toilet tank does not fill back up with water after I flush it. I turned off the valve, disconnected the hose, and turned the valve back on to see if there might be a clog, but there was none. Also, there is a trickling dripping noise coming from inside the tank, but there is now water leaking...

Toilet bowl does not refill after flush [ 1 Answers ]

The toilet flushes OK, but the water level is real low in the bowl after the flush. What is the problem?

Water in toilet does not shut off when tank is full [ 2 Answers ]

My husband fixed ( hahaha) my toilet about a year ago and ever since then the water does not shut off once the tank is full. Is something set up wrong? I am having to turn on the water at the main valve, fill up the tank, flush, then turn water back off every time I use the toilet. Please help me.

Toilet has no water. Tank is full. [ 3 Answers ]

Hi ! We have a second home. After not being there for several weeks we noticed that the upstairs toilet had no water in it. The tank is full but the toilet is empty. What could be the cause of this? Is something clogged? Thanks Mimi

View more questions Search