Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    responder954 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2007, 01:44 PM
    Toilet rough in and shower
    Hello:

The rough in of all the drainage for my basement bathroom was done before we poured the basement floor. Now I am at building the framing for the walls. My first question is this. How do you measure to install a toilet in the proper place, meaning, my wall is not framed yet, where on the base of the toilet do I maesure from to make sure the wall ends up in the right place?

Secondly, does a show stall take a trap? I have a roughed in pipe under the floor amd a 12" X 12" whole in the floor that I will fill with concert when I am sure that everything is in place. If pictures are needed, that can be arranged.

AB
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 14, 2007, 05:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by responder954
    Hello:

The rough in of all the drainage for my basement bathroom was done before we poured the basement floor. Now I am at building the framing for the walls. My first question is this. How do you measure to install a toilet in the proper place, meaning, my wall is not framed yet, where on the base of the toilet do I maesure from to make sure the wall ends up in the right place?

Secondly, does a show stall take a trap? I have a roughed in pipe under the floor amd a 12" X 12" whole in the floor that I will fill with concert when I am sure that everthing is in place. If pictures are needed, that can be arranged.

AB
    If you're asking about a toilet rough in it's 12" to the center of the closet flange from the unfinished wall. If you're asking about the walls a minimum of 15" from each side of the tank should be sufficient.

The shower trap's located under the floor with the raiser 2 or 3" over the pour when you cement the hole. Good luck, Tom
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2007, 04:03 AM
    Measurements to fixtures are 'finished' measurements. The finished wall to the center of the toilet drain is 12" from the back and a minimum of 15" from either side. That is a standard 12" rough toilet. you can also get a 10" rough toilet or a 14" rough toilet at an additional cost. On the shower drain, pour a quart of water into the drain. If it stays, you already have a trap. Put a stick or something into that pipe and determine the depth of the water in the trap. It should be at least 2-3 inches.
    What kind of shower are you putting in? Is it fiberglass or tile?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 17, 2007, 10:28 AM
    Doug,
    "measurements to fixtures are 'finished' measurements. the finished wall to the center of the toilet drain is 12" from the back.
    We have always made our toilet rough in 12" from the layout string (unfinished wall before the pour) to the center of the closet bend. It's rather difficult to make a measure to a finished wall when you're laying out a rough in on a unpoured slab. Doug, have you ever laid out and installed a rough in? What Doug fails to take into consideration is that when we lay out a rough in a 4" plate becomes a 3 1/2" i
    plate n reality so in the end it indeed works out to 12" to center from the finished wall, However we never rough in from a finished wall, it's always to a unfinished wall. Regards, Tom
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2007, 04:50 PM
    Tom, I have peeked at many of your responses and was pleased that you gave a lot of good answers. I feel like you have a lot of experience.
    I have a bit of experience too. I have done a few rough-ins also. I have mostly worked with architects that gave centerline wall measurements and about 18 years ago many of the new architects used 4 inch and 6 inch walls with inside spaces determined by those numbers. The rooms never added up and the framer always had walls off. To compensate for this I used centerline measurements on the newer drawings and when the framer had a wall off I had him move it because I could prove by the numbers that I was correct. Also, by using a 4 inch wall you get a quarter inch finish wall, which is never true, but it is not enough to hurt. I have never roughed in from a 4 inch wall or a 6 inch wall. I have always found the center of the wall and gone 1 3/4" over for a 3 1/2" wall or 2 3/4" over for a 5 1/2" wall. I then peek at the plans to make sure no special veneer is going on that wall so I can use the 1/2" typical finish to gauge by. my toilet is roughed at 12 1/2" from the rough string.
    After saying all this in response to your statement it all can become mute. Your way works for you and my way works for me. But the book says the toilet is roughed 12" from a finished wall, and the person asking is not doing a slab rough, he wants to put a wall up. he needs to put his wall rough 12 1/2" from centerline of his toilet drain pipe, [grinz]
    responder954 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2007, 03:21 PM
    Thanks for all the input. Having never done a bathroom let alone a basement bathroom from scratch before, I'll use the advice wisely. I am a hands on guy and this will definitely help, Thanks so much.

AL

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet rough-in [ 5 Answers ]

How far from the roughin wall to center line of waste should I set the toilet?

Picture of toilet group rough in [ 4 Answers ]

Speedball, you think this toilet group is acceptable? (Those doors have since been blocked in). The left 2" pipe will elbow over to the left to catch the faucet, and then shoot up as a vent stack from the faucet, the right 2" pipe will tie into the vent stack somewhere above the faucet. Thanks.

Shower Rough-In [ 11 Answers ]

I had a full bath roughed-in in my new house basement. The shower drain location was covered with styrofoam. I assumed that the drain pipe was below it and I proceeded to removed the styrofoam however, there was only the inner drain tile pipe. Am I missing something (i.e. drain pipe)?

Toilet Flange on rough in [ 2 Answers ]

What all is involved in mounting a toilet flange to rough in on conrete? Thanks in advance!

Toilet in basement -already has rough in [ 3 Answers ]

Hi we are installing a toilet in the basement of our new home. There is already a 4 inch stub that was left by the contractors. I have a couple of questions. 1.What kind of flange do we need for it to be flush with the concrete? Should we just buy a 3" flange and glue it into the four inch...

View more questions Search