Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stevekem Posts: 57, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2008, 01:58 PM
    Wiring 2 Gang Meter Socket w/ 100 & 200 Amp Meters
    Hello,

Are you allowed to use a 2 gang 200 amp meter socket to feed (1) 200 AMP panel and (1) 100 AMP panel, or do all meters in same enclosure have to be the same (200 AMP)?

If the above is allowed:

What size wire would I need from weather head to meter socket?

Would I then run aluminum 2 AWG from meter socket to 100 AMP panel and 4/0 AWG from meter socket o 200 AMP panel?

Would the ground wire from rods run to socket and then I run 4 wire to panels (for isolated grounds) or would each panel have to have separate grounds directly to rods?

I have an existing 100 amp service that I just put in a few months ago, but our plans changed for this house and we need more amps (over 200) and thought why not just keep the 100 amp panel in place and run another 200 amp panel to increase our amperage. We did want a double meter socket though to keep the exterior as clean as possible, but I've never done one before :confused: Also, I'm located near Pittsburgh, PA. Thanks!

Jun 10, 2008, 04:13 PM
    Ok, I found out it is allowed to be done the way I would like.

Does anyone know what size wire I would run from the weather head to the dual meter socket?

I guess it would need to be able to handle 400 amps, would size would that be?

The reason I say 400 amps is, in the future if I need a little more amperage, I could just changeout the 100 amp panel and line from panel to meter with a 200 amp panel and new line.

So, anyone know what size entrance cable to use?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jun 10, 2008, 04:38 PM
    This depends on the calculated load. You can have a 4/0AL riser (typical 200A riser) feeing a 200 and a 100 amp panel, or even two 200A panels if the calculated load is under 200A.

Jun 10, 2008, 04:55 PM
    Thanks for the reply. The calculated load is going to change a good bit in the near future depending on if we add a second tankless waterheater and a hot tub.

To be safe, could I just go with wire capable of 400 amps (or close to it) so this will not have to be changed out when we add the additional loads?

If so, what type/size of wire is rated for 400 amps (or close to it)?

Thanks again!
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jun 10, 2008, 05:05 PM
    Are you running single wires to the weather head or a cable?

About how far is the weatherhead splice to the meter terminals?

Jun 10, 2008, 05:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stevekem
    If so, what type/size of wire is rated for 400 amps (or close to it)?
    500MCM AL, or 350MCM CU, is sized for a typical residential 320/400 service. This is a common installation.

Jun 10, 2008, 05:31 PM
    The distance between the meter terminals and splice is about 12 - 14 feet. As far as single wire or cable, it doesn't matter to me as long is it's available locally.

Which one is typically cheaper, running single wire or cable?

Also, what size conduit should be used with say 500MCM AL or 350MCM CU?

Thanks again, I really appreciate the help!

Jun 10, 2008, 07:01 PM
    500MCM AL would be MUCH cheaper.
    You can put up to four 500's in 3" Sch80 PVC.
    Four your service you can use two 500's and one 350.

Jun 10, 2008, 07:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stanfortyman
    500MCM AL would be MUCH cheaper.
    You can put up to four 500's in 3" Sch80 PVC.
    Four your service you can use two 500's and one 350.

Thanks again for your help. I think that's the setup I am going to go with. :)
    brochu13 Posts: 1, Reputation: 0

Sep 28, 2011, 04:45 PM
    Just hire and electriciAN to do it so many of these comment are wrong by code its not funny and would be very surprised if you need 400 amp service even with tankless and hot tub just hire and electrician he will calculate your load required as per code cause it will probably just be a 200 amp feeding two 200 amp panels which is 3/0 cables

Sep 28, 2011, 05:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by brochu13 View Post
    just hire and electriciAN to do it so many of these comment are wrong by code its not funny and would be very surprised if u need 400 amp service even with tankless and hot tub just hire and electrician he will calculate ur load required as per code cause it will probably just be a 200 amp feeding two 200 amp panels which is 3/0 cables
    Wow. So much to think about.

1) This was so hard to read it's not funny. How about next time you try writing in sentences?

2) What is so wrong "by code"? Instead of just calling something wrong why not give details?

C) Do you seriously think a house with TWO tankless water heaters and a hot tub is going to come in under 200A? Come on now.

4) A 200A residential service can, and usually does, use 2/0CU or 4/0AL. Not 3/0CU.

E) I think this job is probably already done since this thread is from over three years ago.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

400 amp service, 2 200 amp panels, 320 amp meter socket [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, this is my first post here, but I have been reading a lot and have already learned a bunch. I want to thank TK already and hope you reply to this. I am in the process of designing my electrical system for my new home. I have some electrical experience, but am by no means a pro. I am...

Changing electrical wiring on a dryer to fit a 4 prong socket [ 1 Answers ]

:mad: trying to change the electric dryer cord from a three prong to a 4 prong. When opening the back of the dryer, there is only three wiring spots and the 4 prong.. is there a safe way to rig this? HELP!!

Meter Socket and Main Breaker Issues [ 1 Answers ]

I just ordered a new meter socket from the utility company and it is rated for 200 amps. My friend is a certified electrician and he will be doing all the work. He advised me to get an exterior main breaker so we could relocate the interior sub panel approximately 7 foot away from the point of...

320 amp meter socket line wire [ 10 Answers ]

I am installing a new service with two meter panels. One 320 amp meter socket and one 200 amp meter socket. The 320 amp is a 400 amp socket panel with a disconect (two 200 amp breakers). What size of line in from the transformer wire do I need? It's a typical 3 wire, single phase service. Does...

House wiring , meter to breakers. [ 5 Answers ]

I know it isagainst the NEC rules, but if you parallel two # 6 copper wires, would that be sufeficient for a 150 Amp Svc.. i.e., put two togather, for one 120 v leg, two more for the other 120V leg, for the 240V supply, plus the ground, about 100 ft from meter to fuse box.? No worry about law...

View more questions Search