Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mssassygirl Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2006, 07:54 PM
    Misdemeanor Probation
    My fiancé received 1 yr misdemeanor probation back in August. On Jan 2,2006 he got another new probation officer who has only been on the job 30 days. He asked for a transfer to Texas to assist me in taking care of my ill mother. His probabtion officer finally on 1/11 put in for a travel permit for 5 days to help me move to Texas. Then on 1/18 he advised the probation officer to please work on getting him his transfer process. He paid all his fine 2 weeks ago and has a job in Texas that he is to start on 2/20. His probation officer told him to put in his 2 week notice and he will start working on the transfer on 2/6. WHY is this taking him so long to get something done? Is this normal? Or is his probabtion officer screwing him over? We have advised him that he has a return ticket for 2/18 to move to Florida. All he says is, he is aware and he will get to it when he can.
    Can someone please tell me what we can do to get this transfer done? We have a house in Texas and he has a job and the fine is paid in full.

Thanks for any assistance.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 6, 2006, 06:50 AM
    1. Probation officers many times screw you over as you put it, yep some get this power trip for some reason, I hope excon catches this post, he has such a wonderful way on words about these people

2. but assuming the best of this gentleman, he is new he most liekly does not even know how to request this, if it is possible, and what forms to use and who to submit the form to when he does find the right form.

3. This is a on the job training type of job, oh they go to some basic classes but then have to find out how to do the job.

What I did not ask, is this a state probaton officer, or a private probation officer ( private company contracted to do misdemeanor probation)
    In the case of the private company they make money keeping you on probation, the longer you are on, and the longer they keepyou reporting to their office the more money they make.

And the transfer is not complete until you have a paper in hand saying it is.
    You need to keep in contact with the probation officer

Also remember on this, the state you are in has to OK you going there, but then the state you are moving to has to also say it is OK for you to come.
    Thus the delay they have to send the paper work to the probation dept of your new state. ( some states don't really want criminals from other states moving in, so they may or may not OK it,)

The probation officer was rash in telling him to quit one job before he knew for sure that he could move.

Feb 6, 2006, 07:49 AM
    Thank you so much for replying to my questions. We did write the Judge a letter and I called this morning and spoke to his assistant. She stated that they received our letter and the Judge has called several times and left messages for the State Probation officer to please call with no response. I gave her the Supervisors name and she stated that she will call her this morning as the Judge is wanting to make a ruling.

I have also gone online and found the Interstate Commission rules effective January 1,2006 and have read all 62 pages. Do you think we should file a complaint on the probation officer or just go into the office and ask to speak with the supervisor or just let things ride out?
    My fiancé has NEVER been in trouble before and has paid his FINE IN FULL.

Thank you
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2006, 08:28 AM
    Hello mssassy:

The Padre is right. I don't hold PO's in high esteem. However, yours (your hubbies) has not yet revealed his true colors. Indeed, he's too new to learn how to be a jerk yet. So, I would hold off.

You are DOING everything that I would recommend you do. You are becoming informed, you are doing things in writing, and you are not burning bridges. It sounds as though your PO is trying to get this done, even if ineffectually. Why not offer help? Maybe you can call his supervisor, or the bureaucrat in charge of transfers. You'll find out if he's on your side.

Keep "managing" like you are. If and when you find that the PO is your enemy, that is the time to complain. However, it sounds like you have the judge in your corner. Good call. I don't think the probation office is going to buck the judge.

Additionally, this is misdemeanor probation, AND your husband has met ALL his requirements. Continue to re-iterate those facts in addition to continually state that your husband DOES meet the criteria for inter state transfer. The receiving state should have no problem accepting him. After all, it's more money for them.

My bet is that it is going to happen. Will it happen on time? Come on. We're dealing with the state here, and prisoners are not on top of their priorities.

If you run into deadlines, given all that you've already done, here's what I would do. It's risky, but so is life. If the transfer is not complete by the time you must leave, then leave. Write a letter to ALL parties involved stating your intentions. Have him report to the PO office the very day he arrives in his new town.

Yes, it's risky, but you've already got things in the works. Anyway, it worked for me once - exactly like I'm laying it out for you. It was parole for a serious offense too, not just a pantywaist misdemeanor.

Let me know how it works out.

excon

Feb 6, 2006, 08:41 AM
    excon, Thank you for your input, but there is so no way we would take a chance of him getting into anymore trouble.
    I think we will wait to see what the Judge says.
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2006, 04:03 PM
    If you listen to excon you will be in a whole heap of trouble! Do not leave until the judge says you can and keep a copy of the order just in case. Excon is a fugitive from the law right now I'd bet. Misery loves company, isn't that right excon. :D

Feb 12, 2006, 06:28 AM
    WONDERFUL NEWS!!

THe Judge signed the release of probation paperwork. My Fiance' flew home Saturday morning. Thank you everybody for all your thoughts and prayers. I wish everyone the best of luck when serving probation.
    NEVER LET YOUR PROBATION OFFICER SCREW YOU OVER. FIGHT TO THE END AND DO A lot OF COMPUTER RESEARCH AND END UP SCREWING HIM OVER...
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 12, 2006, 07:20 AM
    Hello mssasseygirl:

I'm glad for you. Let's hope hubby gets someone who isn't a jerk like Magprob, although they all pretty much suck.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 12, 2006, 07:30 AM
    Glad to hear it is working out.
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Feb 15, 2006, 07:25 PM
    Well thank you excon, I love you too!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Probation Law [ 11 Answers ]

My husband has gotten the probation officer from hell and I should know because even I have been threatened by this woman and I am the supposed victim. He and I both want him to just fulfill the terms of his probation and get on with our lives but within ethical reason. My husband works between...

Probation [ 7 Answers ]

I was placed on probation for a year for grand theft under 3,000 in fees. Time is up oct. 15-06 I have not been able to pay any money but I have completed all community hrs. I was 2 months pregnant at the time and did not know it I had my child 6-13-06 he passed on 6-30-06 though I have not had...

Probation [ 3 Answers ]

I got a 5 yr sentence in harris county, Texas. I have done almost 3 yrs. What are the possibilites of getting off? I was charged with arson. Please give me some advise.

Probation [ 4 Answers ]

My husband is on probation for a misdemeanor violation (possession of marijuana). He has paid all fines, but has 24 hours of comminuty service to do. He has not done the community service yet because the county tells him when and where he can do community service. They have conveniently chosen a...

Probation and a job [ 2 Answers ]

An individual is hired at a job while in a work release center and is placed on probation with the requirement to have a job. If this person is fired from their job, must the employer contact anyone legally? I would greatly appreciate any help that can be offered on this. Thanks!

View more questions Search