Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Delna Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2014, 04:23 PM
    Light bulb blows below when my kids jump on top.
    Hi
    I stay on the top, my tenant downstairs. She says her bulbs are blowing every time my kid jumps,on the,top. Any idea why?
    What are my choices ?
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jun 24, 2014, 05:00 PM
    You stay on top.
    Your kids jump on top.

I assume you mean you are in an upstairs apartment?
    If so then yes, jumping and vibration will burn out light bulbs much quicker in ceiling lights in the apartments below.

You need to remember with message boards like this, we don't know you are where you are. So saying your kids jump on top it is really confusing to anyone reading it.
    Studs ad Posts: 134, Reputation: 9

Jun 24, 2014, 05:39 PM
    My kids used to do that when I was working shift work and sleeping in the basement. They learned quickly that jumping from the top bunk bed to the floor was directly proportional to more than just the lights in my bedroom burning out prematurely, and yes the cheap light bulbs we get nowadays won't take much vibration. They make what they call a "rough service" bulb, that cost more and will usually take a couple of more jumps before it burns out, so your kids might have to switch to Yoga or some other gentle pastime to keep peace with the neighbors or find a deal on light bulbs. Good luck!
    Delna Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2014, 05:39 PM
    Light bulbs blowout when kids jump upstairs
    Hi
    I'm sorry I did not word my previous question properly.

We stay in a weatherboard house, the flooring is wooden. I stay on top floor & my tenant is downstairs. She says her light bulbs are blowing every time my children jump upstairs.

I am not hundred percent sure about what she is saying, as we have had 2 previous tenants & I have never had a complain before. The bulbs are standard, not top quality & have been there for about a year. They are 60W each. She is very keen on me to get in an electrician which is very costly so I wanted to know if there was something I could try out to be 100% sure that there was some fault.
    She has also previously complained but it turned out to be nothing.

Thanks
    Delna
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jun 24, 2014, 06:47 PM
    Install "rough service" bulbs or those designed for garage door openers. You could also install CFL fluorescent bulbs. .
    Studs ad Posts: 134, Reputation: 9

Jun 24, 2014, 06:59 PM
    I wish I had a dollar for every time I have been asked this question. There are certainly things that can cause the bulbs to burn out prematurely besides vibration, but I would not run out and pay an electrician, at least at first. Is it one particular bulb? Is it random which bulb? Is it at the exact time the kids jump? Have you installed a new fixture by chance? I am not suggesting that you do at this point. Sometimes some fixtures trap more heat around the bulb and the extra heat puts a little more stress on the bulb. I used to put an incandescent light on my front porch light. Every time the kids slammed the front door when the light was on it burned out immediately. The hot element in the light does not have the same strength as when it is cool(off).
    High voltage can burn lights out, but it should affect you too so I would rule that out. I don't think it is a whole house issue.
    A light that continuously flickers could have a poor connection in the light fixture or wiring, and might get worse with vibration, but you would probably notice this anytime. I would try a different style light bulb if it is apparent that the vibration is the issue. Sometimes a CFL bulb will work, but I have had some that were just as sensitive to vibration as the standard incandescent light. I don't know what you pay for electricians in your area, but unless it just provides peach of mind, I would try a few things first. I have been in the business since 1976, so I have just a little experience. Try a different style bulb and get back to us. Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Martial Arts Documentary where kids jump from 40 ft [ 2 Answers ]

I saw a YouTube video a long time ago that was a compilation of extreme martial arts training. One of the clips was from an old documentary that look to be from the 70s where part of the training was to climb to the edge of a roof and jump off onto the grass below. It was 40ft up and they had a...

Put a bulb converter on light bulb for fan light and now the light doesn't work [ 1 Answers ]

I put a light bulb converter on a ceiling fan light to get more light and now it doesn't work. Fan works fine

Correct voltage in light bulb socket, but bulb(s) won't light [ 1 Answers ]

Regarding a 4-light kit on a residential ceiling fan (Hampton Bay). 20 A circuit, nothing else on in circuit (house is vacant). No wall switch; all switching done at fan/light kit (separate pull chains). Fan turns fine. 122 VAC as measured w/ a Fluke meter within light bulb socket. Have...

What makes a light bulb turned blue after is blows out [ 1 Answers ]

My light bulbs in my walking freeze blow out. After it blow out it turned blue inside. Why did it do that?

Hampton bay kids fan light bulb help [ 2 Answers ]

I have a hampton bay kids ceiling fan ,overall length {from blade to blade}30inch . I do not have the old light bulb and am having trouble finding the correect bulb for my sons room .help? Please . 250v 75w on electrical outlet

View more questions Search