Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    saint_chuck_puck Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2006, 02:47 AM
    Cast Iron Tub Installation
    Anyone have any tips on the installation of a cast iron tub in an existing alcove. Would like any advice on putting the tub into place so as to minimize injury, strain, frustration, people running over each other, etc.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 9, 2006, 05:39 AM
    Good morning Chuck,

Thanks for moving your question where it can be accessed.
    As a rule we set our tubs ln next to the stud walls before the drywall goes up. To answer your question we will have to have more details. Your tub should be 60" long. Are you replacing a tub that was in the alcove? What kind of a tub was it? Is the drywall up? Tile? What kind of floor will you be sliding the tub on when it slips into the alcove? Please give me measurements of the alcove. Width? Depth? I'll wait on your reply. Tom

Feb 17, 2006, 10:44 AM
    Tom,

I am replacing the existing tub which is a steel tub with porcilean coating. The drywall, tile and previous backer board have all been removed. The alcove is an extension of the bathroom sidewalls, i.e. alcove is as wide as the bathroom itself. No backerboard, drywall or tile has been put back in. The tub will be placed on top the existing plywood subfloor material or perhaps on the plywood subfloor with Hardibackerboard (fibrous cement board). The width of the alcove is just wide enough for the tub (60").

Terry
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 17, 2006, 10:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by saint_chuck_puck
    Tom,

I am replacing the existing tub which is a steel tub with porcilean coating. The drywall, tile and previous backer board have all been removed. The alcove is an extension of the bathroom sidewalls, i.e. alcove is as wide as the bathroom itself. No backerboard, drywall or tile has been put back in. The tub will be placed on top the existing plywood subfloor material or perhaps on the plywood subfloor with Hardibackerboard (fibrous cement board). The width of the alcove is just wide enough for the tub (60").

Terry
    Hey Terry,

Sounds like you can "shoehorn" the tub in place. You'll have zero tolerance so both ends will have to go in together. If one gets cocked then the tub will hang up and you'll have to pull it back and straighten it out. Good luck, Tom

Feb 17, 2006, 11:07 AM
    Tom,

Just thought perhaps there would be some suggestions on "sliding" the tub into the alcove once I had it placed on the floor in the bathroom??

Terry
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 17, 2006, 11:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by saint_chuck_puck
    Tom,

Just thought perhaps there would be some suggestions on "sliding" the tub into the alcove once I had it placed on the floor in the bathroom????

Terry
    Hey Terry,
    In the case of a floor that binds the feet of the tub and let's them dig in I have placed furniture slider pads,(see image) under the tubs feet so it will slide easier. After the tub's in place I take a 2X4 and lever the tub up so I can remove the sliders. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cast iron [ 2 Answers ]

Hi folks, What is the best way to repair a leaking tub drain that connects to cast iron main drain? Thank you, Jen

Cast Iron Pipes [ 2 Answers ]

What is the best way to clear cast iron drain pipes as a step towards making future preventive maintenance cost effective and less labor intense? Is there a preferred cutter to use on a rooter machine that could accomplish this? Is there chemicals that are safe to use that can assist the process. I...

DWV cast iron cut [ 1 Answers ]

1) What's the best way to cut a 4" cast iron soil pipe that is against the wall of the house so I can't get a snap cutter chain around it? related: 2) Is there an adapter to connect 3" pvc (toilet drain) to a 4" cast iron hub on the main stack? Thanks

Cast Iron Tub Installation [ 1 Answers ]

What do I put an old cast iron tub on. Can it sit directly on a new ceramic floor? Would I have to put something under the feet? It will be quite heavy with water in the tub.

How to remove cast iron [ 6 Answers ]

I have some sewage pipes in my basement that I have to remove because one of them is cracking and leaking. The problem is that I can't get the joints apart. Does anyone know how to remove the sealing compound for old cast iron pipes. They were put in around 1945 so I am pretty sure that there is...

View more questions Search