Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

Sep 27, 2006, 11:21 PM
    Arm Grabbing Security Guards Beijing Airport
    Is it an acceptable custom for security guards to silently without any explanation grab people by the arm and move them to where they are supposed to be standing in China? Or is this just a Beijing airport security guard thing?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Sep 28, 2006, 04:38 AM
    I'm no expert in this area, but from what I know, authorities in China can pretty much do whatever they please. I don't think that Civil Rights are high on their priority list.
    dmatos Posts: 204, Reputation: 26

Sep 28, 2006, 07:19 PM
    Did this happen to you? Do you look like you might not understand Chinese? Maybe he did it without talking because he felt you wouldn't understand his instructions. If he wasn't rough about it, I wouldn't be upset. Heck, I've had photographers (here in Canada) grab me and move me around without telling me what they were doing.
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

Oct 7, 2006, 10:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dmatos
    Did this happen to you? Do you look like you might not understand Chinese? Maybe he did it without talking because he felt you wouldn't understand his instructions. If he wasn't rough about it, I wouldn't be upset. Heck, I've had photographers (here in Canada) grab me and move me around without telling me what they were doing.

It wasn't the non-talking only. It was the strength of the grab, the military-like-uniform, the belligerent facial expression and the total non-necessity of the grab since I was standing in line and people in line don't need to be herded like cattle in order to know they are next unless they are mentally handicapped in some way. Even then a simple universally understood gesture suffices. And if it doesn't then the person shouldn't be in public without a guardian.

This was just one in a series of nasty things which ultimately led to the death of my fiancée who was waiting for me in Nanning.

BTW
    I am not judging all Chinese by what occurred to me in the Beijing airport and its surroundings.
    China Photographer Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2008, 12:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Starman
    This was just one in a series of nasty things which ultimately led to the death of my fiancee who was waiting for me in Nanning.
    My experience is that a majority of Chinese authorities are helpful and personable to foreign visitors. However they are under no obligation to be friendly, gentle nor respectful towards anyone, foreign or Chinese. China is a totalitarian police state whose primary objective is to retain civil obedience.

The Chinese PLA and local police receive no benefit from China's growing economy or tourism market and probably couldn't care less if Joe America enjoyed his trip to the Great Wall or not. That said, I think most Chinese - police or civilian - are naturally inclined to be hospitable and kind towards foreigners. Remember, most Chinese people have had little or no interaction with westerners, so in addition to being somewhat a mystery and novelty here, I think foreigners in China are largely considered as welcome guests.

I personally would be interested in hearing about what happened to your fiancée in Nanning, if you care to PM me to discuss it.

Lastly, I wrote an article about crime in China and how this effects us expats and travelers, if you care to read:

Crime in China
    HistorianChick Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 825
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2008, 02:34 PM
    Oh yes. Normal. And, they do it at will.

Beijing airport security - ooo... I wasn't allowed to bring my two cans of Dr. Pepper and two cans of A&W cream soda back with me... they made me open each one before I went through security. And what good are cans if they're opened! Rah...

My experience (two years) in China led me to the conclusion that the little "bubble-o'-personal-space" that we Westerners prize is not relevant in Asia. It just takes some getting used to...

How long have you been in China?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Airport Runway Construction Requirements [ 3 Answers ]

I have been asked to find the construction requirements to construct a runway that would withstand the weight of an airliner plus its cargo of approximately 100,000 pounds. Where do I go to fine the specs for such a project? I need the info so that I can estimate the cost of construction. Thanks...

Log on and security [ 1 Answers ]

Read in help that one should not log on computer as an administrator- how do I ADD MYSELF TO A USER GROUP CORRECTLY? Lfollowed help instructions but was ltold I did it incorrectly.  what are your thoughts... Thanks

Airport mishap [ 10 Answers ]

I was taking an airline when the plane was delayed. After it arrived and we boarded, the stewardesses gave their safety speech, the plane sat along time on the tar mat and then we were that the airplane had mechanical problems and would have to be repaired. Another plane was brought in and...

Security [ 3 Answers ]

I just installed a new version of Norton's Internet Security. Now a box will pop up asking me if I want to allow certain sites. How can I make an informed decision when it just says hcm.exe. I do not know what program this would allow to execute. Can you tell me what hcm.exe is and how I can find...

Security [ 3 Answers ]

Recently divorcing and having utilized many different options to get information from husbands cell, computer, etc. via this site... I've come to realize that security is not as secure as one may think. Can anyone tell me a program or system (I'm not computer literate here) that can secure your...

View more questions Search