Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Gryphyn34 Posts: 49, Reputation: 8

Nov 27, 2011, 07:42 PM
    Why do I gag when I take out my dentures?
    I had all my teeth removed a week ago and they put in the dentures immediately after the surgery. So far it's been a week and its been okay.. however I noticed over the past day or so my dentures are causing me to gag when I'm taking them out. Since I'm still healing and on soft foods my dental surgeon said I still need to rinse after each meal and so I have to take them out 3 or 4 times a day at least. I'm worried the gagging will become full vomiting if this continues. What can I do?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 27, 2011, 07:49 PM
    Sounds like a gag reflex. ( my guess) try a warm salt water gargle before you take them out.

Nov 28, 2011, 12:05 PM
    I already knew it was my gag reflex but the issue is that it just started happening after a week of wearing the dentures and that they don't come close to the back of the throat. I just start to gag when they come out. I have no idea why.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 28, 2011, 03:16 PM
    Here's a good site - Gagging during Dental Treatment

Ask the Dentist who did the work. He/she probably has an opinion.
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Nov 29, 2011, 06:20 AM
    When removing your denture try to get your fingers to the back near the molars and let the back drop first. I think what might be happening is if you are pulling them out using the front teeth the denture is pressing a bit on the soft palate causing the gag reflex. This will eventually settle down as you get used to the denture.

Dec 2, 2011, 02:08 PM
    Thanks guys. I went into my dentist and looked at the back of my throat. Turns out there is a small glob of polident which is stuck near my left tonsil. She said it will dislodge once I'm eating solid foods again. So, I just have to deal with it until then.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What causes a dog to gag constantly [ 5 Answers ]

My little Rat Terrier keeps gagging. Vet says to give her cough syrup but that is not helping. Does anyone else have this problem?

How to override gag reflex [ 22 Answers ]

How can you weaken or temporarily override your gag reflex?

Weakened gag reflex [ 1 Answers ]

Hey I have a weakened gag reflex and am having difficulty swallowing and coughing aftgerwards what is my nursing diagnosis

Gag Gift [ 5 Answers ]

I have to buy a gag gift for a friend for an employee christmas party. I need to make or buy a dressing room. I am thinking cheap and simple, this is a gag gift and not really meant to be used. I am thinking somekind of frame and a shower curtian type thing, but I need help with assembly ideas....

Bad gag-reflexes [ 8 Answers ]

( I am a woman by the way lol) My fiancé has VERY bad gag reflexes. He gags and ends up puking practically every time he brushes his teeth. I feel terrible about and I know there has to be some sort of medication or something he can eat in order to dull the reflexes. I have rathe rtender...

View more questions Search