Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    George Leigh Posts: 42, Reputation: 3

May 7, 2009, 11:30 AM
    The schools I attended now make me look like a loser!
    Thanks to everyone for the resume help.
    I now thought of another problem with my resume, hope you can advise me.
    The name of the primary school and high school I attended and graduated from are sort of idiotic, I don't want to give it away but let's just call it "Hemp Den Hollow school district"--do you see the problem? I look like a jerk to the average person sorting through resumes to pick out candidates. I've thought of writing to the district, asking them to get a less stupid name or something but that really wouldn't help me as a grad.
    Also the college I graduated from back in the ice ages, now it's a number one party school (Penn State) it really wasn't like that back in the 1970's. How can I get around this? Could I say I graduated from a state land grant university but not say which one? That I attended school in (name of town or county) instead of the school's name?
    I'm positive this stuff has kept me from getting some interviews!:eek:
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2009, 11:38 AM

I am of the belief that it is not so much where you come from but what you have achieved in spite of your humble background.
    Perhaps a prospective employer would look at the school and admire you for overcoming the odds.
    Just my opinion.
    Gemini54 Posts: 2,871, Reputation: 1116
    Ultra Member

May 24, 2009, 11:49 PM
    If you finished school back in the '70's then I would suggest there is no need to put either the name of your primary or high school on your resume.

Most employers are more interested in your recent work experience that relates to the position being advertised - not the name of your school!

It's more important to show your qualifications though - with your College - can't you just put the name of the degree and the State from which you acquired it?
    Gregisteredtrademark Posts: 226, Reputation: 35

May 27, 2009, 08:28 AM

Ok, I have hired many many people and to be honest if you went to college, you don't need to mention high school. Common sense says that if you were able to go to college then you went to high school right? Also in regards to Penn State, Try labeling it as Pennsylvania State University. That would not have nearly the stigma as Penn State. Good luck.
    George Leigh Posts: 42, Reputation: 3

Jun 11, 2009, 01:41 PM

OK guys and thanks but the employment applications always ask for that stuff, including the school and dates attended. In the interviews they focus on their company application and seem to ignore my resume, from the questions they ask it seems they haven't even read it, even if I hand an extra copy of it to them that I bring along with me.
    In these days of online degrees from schools it's probably possible to get a degree or at least a diploma from somewhere whether you finished high school or not?
    fishburn7 Posts: 80, Reputation: 6

Jul 17, 2009, 05:51 AM

If I was running through a pile of resumes and saw a high school like that I'd stop to read it because it grabbed my attention.. and as long as everything else on there is good the attention is just what you need
    antipode12 Posts: 248, Reputation: 8

Aug 2, 2009, 08:28 PM

All of the advice above is sound.

If you feel compelled to include the high school, perhaps you cantruncate the name (e.g. George Washington HS becomes Washington HS) or abbreviate with an acronym (Intercourse, PA HS becomes I.H.S.).

But, really, it was 30 years ago. Why include it at all? If anything, it might seem like you are try to fill space.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Loser or better? [ 4 Answers ]

So where can I start huh? Lol well a short version of this is my fiancé is kind of a loser... No aspirations, treats his mom like crap, no goals, he's rude to all my friends, rude to all his friends, (to paint a picture for you, he spits,burps, and farts in front of any one at any time, my friend...

Loser ex comes bαck? αnd I'm mαrried. [ 14 Answers ]

K well this situαtion I find kindα funny. But it's been α couple dαys thαt someone cαlls αnd hαngs up repeαtedly.. first I thought k it's α prαnk no biggie. But then lαst night someone finαlly αnswered:confused: αnd it wαs my (drunk) ex -- like from oooo 2003-2004ish? Lol I don't even remember...

My mom's loser boyfriend [ 2 Answers ]

So 4 years ago my parents got a divorce, I was 13. I kind of expected it so it didn't hit me as hard as I thought. My mom started dating this guy who was 23 and she was 37. I was a bit bothered by this but at the time she let me do practically whatever I wanted, and I was a rebellious teen I guess...

Are you a loser? [ 21 Answers ]

What is your definition about "loser"? I constantly think people are losers if they drop school because they spent their money traveling instead of paying tuition, or people made big mistakes at work(like talking rubbish about boss,steal stuff), or people who don't pass tests because they don't...

View more questions Search