Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Gregisteredtrademark Posts: 226, Reputation: 35

Jan 6, 2009, 06:40 AM
    Laptop WiFi Connection
    Hello,

I will start by saying I am an idiot when it comes to computer technical jargon so bear with me. I have a Dell laptop that has been working fine for a few years great WiFi connections from both my home and my neighbor's wireless connections. So last night I was trying to clean the laptop and opened it up. Good news is it works and I didn't have any extra screws! Bad news is now I have almost no wireless signal strength. I can only see my network (normally I can see at least 3) and I get only one bar from my wireless router located about 20 feet away, normally 4-5 bars. Any ideas on what I did and how the heck do I fix it? Thank you in advance, you guys are the greatest. :confused:
    Linnette1973 Posts: 36, Reputation: 0

Jan 6, 2009, 07:21 AM
    Their may be a little switch that disables wireless on the laptop. Look around the front edges for a swith that has a picture of a monitor in parenthesis. If its not in the front check the sides also.

Jan 6, 2009, 04:46 PM

I can say that it's not the wireless switch. I have the little WiFi light on, if I switch it, in my case FN F2, the light goes out and I loose all WiFi. Right now I have just one bar, which I am currently connected to. Great suggestion, but I guess I need another one... Anyone?
    Joedg319 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2009, 11:24 AM

If you are sure it is not the switch (I would manually turn the switch on and off and not rely on FN-F2) then it must be an interference issue. Not sure why it would have changed but signal strength is mostly affected by the location of my machine relative to the wireless router. Make sure you minimize interference from other sources. Another good tip that has worked for me is to try changing the channel. You can access this from your router setup. There is a good article on this whole subject from Microsoft that is easy to find via a Google search. Sorry I don't have the link.

Jan 11, 2009, 10:24 AM

It was wasn't the switch or the proximity. 1 ft away could only get Very Good, move 3 ft away, good, etc. I just replaced the card... problem solved.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wifi vs Wireless and AT&T's Free Wifi Service [ 1 Answers ]

Hello Everyone! I'm computer illiterate, and have a few questions. Please feel free to explain the most basic details. :) One, is wifi the same as a home wireless internet connection? If I disable Wireless Zero Configuration, could someone still utilize my free public wifi service at hotspots? ...

VGA Connection on my laptop? [ 5 Answers ]

What can I do with a VGA connection on my laptop? Thanks.

Connection laptop to lcd TV [ 1 Answers ]

I have Compaq Presario laptop. I also Have Samsung LNT 4065F LCD TV. I"d like to connect my lap top to TV. What kind of cable should I use for the best connection?

Surfing a laptop wifi through a cell phone [ 1 Answers ]

I have a laptop with WiFi connection. I also have a cell phone with the same connection. It is the TCG TytnII Sometimes there isn't a free hot spot, so I would like to use my computer to surf the web, and at the same time use the cellphone 3G network to access. Quesiton How can I have my...

Borrowing a WiFi connection [ 16 Answers ]

If I borrow a connection from a neighbor with his knowledge can he see my surfing habits?

View more questions Search