Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    anxious_RN Posts: 47, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2008, 03:05 PM
    Birth ccntrol pills while pregnant!
    I'm just generally curious.. not for any specific reason, I was just thinking about this today and am interested in the answer.

First - how possible is it to get pregnant while on birth control? Have you had any personal experience with this?

Second - What happens if you get pregnant, don't know for, say, two weeks and your taking birth control during that time, unaware that you are pregnant? Couldn't that be very dangerous to the fetus?

macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Nov 14, 2008, 04:44 PM

Well most birth control pills are only about 97% effective. No birth control is 100% effective... aside from not having sex.

So yes, it is very possible to get pregnant while on the birth control pill. My daughter is 6 and she was conceived while I was on the pill.

While there are risks to the fetus for continuing to take birth control pills... the actual outcome of damage is not that high. I was 4 weeks pregnant when I found out... and I had been taking my pills everyday up until that day. My daughter was born healthy and has no problems :)
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 14, 2008, 04:47 PM
    I got pregnant twice while on the birth control pill. I took the pill religiously, even had an alarm set. I took the pill for approx 12 weeks after I conceived and my boys are miraculously smart. There is no damage to the fetus while taking the pill during the early weeks of pregnancy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Birth control pills [ 7 Answers ]

A doctor once told me if you over dose on the contraceptive pill it has the same affect as the mornin after pill. True or false?

How long after being off birth control pills can I get pregnant? [ 1 Answers ]

I have 3 children. The youngest is 10. My husband and I are trying for another baby. I have been on Birth control pills for the past 10 years now. I stopped taking them 6 months ago and still am not pregnant. With my second and third child I was off the BC pills for only a month and got pregnant!...

Birth pills [ 2 Answers ]

I wan to knoe whether the birth pills or contraceptive are really safe to avoid pregnancy... when should we have that and at what time... the quantities to have that... is it 100% safe... is there any minute chance of being pregnant... is it OK if we having it frequently after making out Thnking...

Birth control pills [ 7 Answers ]

I stop taking the birth control pills before the week I was supposed too,because we trying to have a baby it's been 12 days I already took 3 pregnancy tests and I'm still not pregnant and I still don't see my period.

View more questions Search