Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    backonline123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2012, 11:36 AM
    Dishwasher caused sink next to it to fill with water and also dishwasher won't drain
    I think my title says it all... I ran the dishwasher and the sink next to it (which happens to be side connected to the garbage disposal) filled up with water. The dishwasher also leaked at the end because the water overflowed onto the floor... dishwasher did not drain itself. I emptied the dishwasher manually using a large cup like container. A friend told me the plunger won't work. Heading to the store for Drain-O. Would appreciate any and all advise. Thank you in Advance.

Single Mom in Virginia Beach
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2012, 11:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by backonline123 View Post
    I think my title says it all... I ran the dishwasher and the sink next to it (which happens to be side connected to the garbage disposal) filled up with water. The dishwasher also leaked at the end because the water overflowed onto the floor...dishwasher did not drain itself. I emptied the dishwasher manually using a large cup like container. A friend told me the plunger won't work. Heading to the store for Drain-O. Would appreciate any and all advise. Thank you in Advance.

Single Mom in Virginia Beach
    If you have a dual sink your friend is right, it only works on a single bowl sink on a single drain... the problem is you have a clogged drain... maybe at the P trap or maybe further along.

If the drain-O doesn't do the job and you have to call a plumber make sure you let them know you used this... it will disolve the skin on your hands.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jun 20, 2012, 03:58 PM
    If drano does anything it is nothing but a quick fix that will require repeating numerous times until you finally bite the bullet and clear/snake the drain line properly.

I'd suggest having a friend snake the drain line, if possible. Drain snakes can be rented at any local tool rental store. Make sure to wear goggles and leather gloves for safety sake!

Good luck!

Mark
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I bypass the sink and connect my dishwasher drain to the house's main drain? [ 3 Answers ]

Do I need to connect the dishwasher drain to my sink, or can I hook it to the main drain of my house? The distance from the dishwasher to the sink is more than the 10ft limit imposed by most major dishwasher brands. If I connected to the main drain of the house, the pipes would go down the entire...

Sink seems to drain into dishwasher [ 3 Answers ]

Our dishwasher works and drains fine when it's running a cycle. :D When it is off, however, and the sink faucet is on and running water, the dishwasher fills up . :eek: It seems as if the sink is draining at least partially into the dishwasher. :( Any ideas? :confused: KLT

Relocating Sink Drain/Vent to Dedicated Stack Serving Kitchen Sink & Dishwasher [ 3 Answers ]

I am relocating an upstairs vanity sink from one wall to another (also going from single to double bowl). Rather than relocate the drain and vent pipe, I am hoping that I can tie into a 1-1/2" copper vent pipe that is located right behind the vanities intended location. The copper vent pipe is from...

Dishwasher won't fill with water [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Whirlpool DU8500Xx-3 dishwasher that is approx 16 years old and has been very reliable all of these years (not a single repair! ). Recently, the dishwasher will not fill with water when we turn it on to clean dishes. Is anyone familiar with this problem and how to fix it? Also -...

Sink drain under dishwasher [ 6 Answers ]

My sink drain pipe (going into the floor) is underneath my dishwasher. I just found this out since I am replacing with a new one. Is it dangerous or anything? I can't afford to relocate the DW or sink drain pipe. What's a good solution? Basically the sink and cabinet are next to the DW as normal...

View more questions Search