Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    darcydog Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2005, 01:26 PM
    Invalid backweb id
    Upon start up in windows xp, I get this little message box saying "invalid backweb id 1940576". Ever since this guy showed up, my computer has slowed considerably, probably to about 20% speed.
    Where can I go and what can I do to correct or delete this devil? Norton Utilities finds nothing wrong. And I used system restore to go back to a time prior to it's arrival, but it didn't correct the problem. Help!
    Thanks,
    Darcydog
    Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

Feb 5, 2005, 03:15 PM
    Invalid backweb id
    The message which your getting means that the file has been removed,but the registry entry is still there.

Click start,run,then type Regedit.This will bring up the registry editor.Click on Edit on the top row.Scroll down to Find.Then when the box shows up asking 'find what',type in 1940576.exe.Then click on Find Next.

When,or if the box finds it,hit the delete key.

BUT BEFORE YOU DO THAT!

Download CCleaner from www.ccleaner.com/ccdownload.php and install the program.Run that first,then do the above,otherwise the file may come back after you reboot your PC.

Next,reboot your PC in safe mode.

Run CCleaner again.

Finally,reboot your PC.

All the best,
    Nez. :)
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 6, 2005, 07:00 AM
    Backweb
    Hi,
    If Nez's instructions do not work for whatever reason, here is a link explaining what to do. Scroll down about 1/2 way.

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=7184

You will need HiJackThis, a free program:

http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html
    Scroll down about half way, under heading Hijack This.

Also, to STOP these programs from getting into a computer in the first place, is a great free program, called Spyware Blaster.
    I use it; and have not had even ONE spyware/malware/Trojan/Advertising program since!

http://www.download.com/SpywareBlast...ml?tag=lst-0-2

Best of luck,
    fredg

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Invalid drive [ 1 Answers ]

I have compaq p1,booable from FDD.I formatted it dos mood by command format c:/s.Now it boots,but when I insert win98 cd it does not know cd and sys invalid drive. I tried all drive letter.

What the heck? Invalid Drive E:\ [ 4 Answers ]

Okay, so I am trying to download java onto my computer because I need it for my web page building software. However, every time to go to download java, I get a message "Invalid Drive E:\" Well, I don't even have an E: drive, at least I don't think so, I have been going nuts on how to fix this...

Is BackWeb a virus, spyware, or adware [ 2 Answers ]

I've heard that 90% of computers are infected with BackWeb. Does anyone have any information on BackWeb? Is BackWeb a virus, spyware, or adware?

View more questions Search