Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    queenfull Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2010, 06:19 PM
    NRI Divorce US-India Confusion
    Hi Sir/Ma'am,

Both my husband and me live in CA,US but are from AP, India.

There are a lot of issues during the marriage, that my husband is not willing to forgive, and expects me to be very subservient and be guilty for all the mistakes he thinks my parents have done. Those mistakes/issues are like: (for an idea)
    - My dad forgetting a small amount of jewellery for my husband
    - Relatives rumours about my salary being higher, etc. (not true)
    Though I consider these exist in all marriages, he feels extremely insulted, and wanted a solution. I kept on trying by making my parents tell sorry before elders, I doing whatever I can and so on, but he is not satisfied. Finally since I did not understand what he wants, I went to the rescue of elders in India.

That is when my husband applied for divorce in US, even without consulting me. Since CA is a no-fault-marriage state, I am obliged to give him divorce now in US.

Can you please let me know the options I have in India? Since in US, I had to continue with divorce proceedings, I am currently in those proceedings.

Thank you very much in advance for reading and an attempt to resolve. I have not found anyone who could answer me because this has to do with two country laws.

When the case is going on US, can I do anything in India? Once the case is over and divorce gets finalised, I guess I do not have any options in India either.

Can you please let me know whatever you know about these kind of issues?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 23, 2010, 06:22 PM

If your residence is in California he can divorce you in California. India is not involved. A US divorce is recognized in India.

If it were reversed and you were divorced in India it would be recognized in the US.

Is that your question?

You do not have to "give" him a divorce - you can retain an Attorney and fight with him in Court.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 23, 2010, 07:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    You do not have to "give" him a divorce - you can retain an Attorney and fight with him in Court.
    If he has started a divorce then your marriage is over. With no fault the only fighting left is for property but in the end you still get divorced.

Apr 27, 2010, 05:24 PM

Thank you califdadof3 and JudyKayTee.

Apr 27, 2010, 05:24 PM

Yes, I understand in California, we cannot fight, and hence wanted some options via Indian court. Can I go to India and apply for divorce ?
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 27, 2010, 05:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by queenfull View Post
    Yes, I understand in California, we cannot fight, and hence wanted some options via Indian court. Can I go to India and apply for divorce ?
    If you lived for at least 6 months in California then he has already started divorce proceedings so it can not be undone. California has jurisdiction.

Are you of a part from India that doesn't allow divorce?

Apr 27, 2010, 05:34 PM

I am from south India. But throughout India, you cannot apply for divorce without a good reason - I think. (which he doesn't have). And thank you sir for prompt reply.
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 27, 2010, 05:38 PM

If you would like to do some research on your own this is a good place to start for the California divorce laws.

Ref:

California Courts: Self-Help Center: Families & Children: Child, Spousal, & Partner Support

Apr 27, 2010, 05:52 PM

Thank you Sir

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Nri starts partnership business in india alongwith indians [ 1 Answers ]

Nri starts partnership business in india alongwith indians

NRI taxation [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, Me and my wife are both Non resident Indians living in the US and file taxes here. We do not have any income in india other than very nominal interest income on money in Indian bank deposits which is below Indian tax limits. My wife gifted 5 lakh rupees of money, approx $10000 in 2008 to...

Confused about NRI Status ? [ 6 Answers ]

Hi As per Indian IT Act , if a person stays outside India for more than 182 days in a financial year ( I guess April to March) his/her status is considered as NRI. In the following scenario what will be my status ? I came in USA for 3 months (from 12th feb 2008 to 10th may 2008) on business...

Tax implications for NRI returing back to India [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a couple of questions regarding double taxation. I came to US (from India) in March 2007 and I recently filed tax return for 2007 in US. Now I will be going back to India in July. Will I have to pay tax on my US income for months of Jan, Feb, March 2008 in India? When I file a tax...

Which form to use for filing returns in India by NRI [ 1 Answers ]

I am NRI but I had salary + interest income from India. Deadline is over but I want to file returns in India. Which form to use? Where should I specify my over-seas income? Which section to use to claim tax rebate on foreign income? Also, since I am considered NR in India, do I get standard...

View more questions Search