Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Farmer Lou Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2008, 08:43 PM
    1950's model G.E. fridge defrosts when my kitchen gets very cold
    I have a 1950's model General Electric refrigerator. It has a little freezer box with a door and the control knob is on this box. This winter it has began defrosting and not kicking on the motor to re-cool. This only happens when it is extremely cold inside my house. Does anyone know how/why the temperature outside the fridge is affecting the thermostat?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 4, 2008, 08:59 PM
    Possibly it needs repaired as the thermostat sounds like something's not right. That's almost as old as I am! Glad to hear it still works. My mom had one just like that when I was a kid.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Feb 4, 2008, 11:18 PM
    Sounds like defrost timer moter has finally died. Don't why outside temperature would affect it unless there is moisture getting to timer. How cold is extremily cold. How do you get fridge started again.
    Farmer Lou Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2008, 11:25 AM
    I sometimes leave home for a week at a time, I heat with wood, so in the winter it can get to be in the low 40's, sometimes in the 30's. I have replaced the door gasket some time ago, but it isn't exactly air tight. As long as the kitchen air is warmer than the indoor set temp. (which is 33-34 degrees), the motor kicks on and holds it's temp. If not the motor does not come on, freezer box defrosts etc.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Feb 19, 2008, 04:40 PM
    Ok, sounds like you really don't have a self defrosting refrigerator. Which also sounds right for a 1950's refrigerator. Didn't think they made them that far back. The cooling unit is the freezer compartment. When the temperature in the refrigerator is 33-34 degrees, the freezer compartment will be about 10 degrees. It's a balancing act, no separate controls. When the temperature outside the refrigerator is at about 30's or 40's the temperature in the refrigerator compartment stays at 33-34 for a longer period. The thermostat in the refrigerator is satisfied and sees no reason to start the compressor. During this longer period however, the freezer compartment is warming up to the 33-34 temperature of the refrigerator compartment. If the temperature outside the refrigerator is 33-34 or below the inside of the refrigerator will never warm up enough to make the compressor come on. Not much you can do unless you can set the refrigerator temperature lower while you are away.

Why isn't the door gasket sealing?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kenmore side by side Fridge icemaker model 106.9557651 [ 1 Answers ]

I have an issue with my ice maker over filling? I replaced solenoid still havinbg problem.

Whirlpool Fridge down (Model ED25TEXHW02) [ 1 Answers ]

Hello: My Whirlpool Fridge (Model ED25TEXHW02) stopped working, the unit is only 5 years. First the freezer stopped working, all food defrosted and ice melted, water was everywhere :(. The next day the fridge stopped keeping cool. I have since unplugged the unit. What could be causing this...

My fridge does not get cold [ 1 Answers ]

My kenmore side by side fridge won't get cold. The freezer has some ice built up on the back wal and keeps things cold as if they were in the fridge side. The fridge side doesn't keep anything cold at all. What could this problem be?

Fridge does not dispense cold water [ 3 Answers ]

I have a GE fridge (model GSH25JFRE) and the water from the dispenser will not get very cold. It is basically the same temperature as the water from the tap. I put a glass of water in the fridge overnight and checked the temperature against the temperature of the water out of the dispenser and...

View more questions Search