Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ERAM Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2007, 10:11 AM
    Unmarried fathers rights
    What rights do I have with my unborn baby after he/she is born, and how do I go about obtaining these rights? The mother and I are both young and in college and do not know each other very well, but both of us agreed to have and keep the baby. What are the typical visitation rights in Georgia once paternity is established? Can I legally have my name on the birth certificate?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 17, 2007, 11:57 AM
    You can not most likely get your name on the birth certificate, unless the mother adds it. After the child is born you can though the court request a DNA test to prove it is your child. Once you do that you can sue in court for visitation and of course to have child support set that you will pay each month. Visitation will depend on a lot of factors, from every weekend to everyother weekend plus everyother holiday and as the child is order osme time in the summer.
    Often when the child is a very small infant, they may want supervised vists to start till you prove you can handle a small child
    LadyB Posts: 320, Reputation: 42

May 4, 2007, 07:57 AM
    You have every right to be named on the birth certificate if you accept paternity. Georgia has a putative father's registry, which you should sign up on as it lets the State know you are accepting paternity and want to be recognized as the father. You can find information and the form here. You should also keep a record of any financial support you offer with regards to the pregnancy and try to go to any doctors visits etc. again to demonstrate your desire to be a fully participative father.

You should also get an attorney to help you both write up and file with the courts a formal custody, child support, and visitation agreement. There is no need to sue or have supervised visits if you and she are in full agreement and amicable. Not being married doesn't change your rights and responsibilities, it just means you need to assert your rights a little more so the mother can't try to exclude you at a later date for some reason.
    daltons46 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2009, 06:29 PM
    What if your not sure if you're the father, due to infidalities. What should you do the mothers wants you to just the sign the birth certificate in order for you to see the baby?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Oct 26, 2009, 07:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyB View Post
    You have every right to be named on the birth certificate if you accept paternity. Georgia has a putative father's registry, which you should sign up on as it lets the State know you are accepting paternity and want to be recognized as the father. You can find information and the form here. You should also keep a record of any financial support you offer with regards to the pregnancy and try to go to any doctors visits etc., again to demonstrate your desire to be a fully participative father.

You should also get an attorney to help you both write up and file with the courts a formal custody, child support, and visitation agreement. There is no need to sue or have supervised visits if you and she are in full agreement and amicable. Not being married doesn't change your rights and responsibilities, it just means you need to assert your rights a little more so the mother can't try to exclude you at a later date for some reason.
    That registry only says you think you're the father and has nothing to do with establishing yourself as the legal father. We need to be clear with that.

( quote from link )

The Registry allows possible biological but not legal fathers to provide identifying information about themselves, the mother, and the child so these registered men can be notified about adoption proceedings.

The possible biological but not legal father is encouraged to place his name in the Registry as soon as possible after engaging in a sexual relationship with a woman who is not his legal wife where such union could result in the birth of a child, preferably registering before the child is born.
    daltons46 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2009, 01:53 PM
    What about in the state of Utah ? What should you do if you are one of the guys that the woman has been with and are possible candidates for being the father? I'm really confused because I want to do right by the baby if it is mine.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Oct 27, 2009, 03:57 PM

Go to court and get a DNA test done and that will solve it and any doubts that there may be.
    luphkin Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2009, 09:06 PM

You need to E-Mail me at EMAIL REMOVED FOR PRIVACY. I am in GA dealing with the same situation. I have all the forms and all of the info. I am now on my daughters birth certificate and have an upcoming court date for visitation rights. I am not a lawyer but I have studied this subject vigorously and want to share my knowledge with fathers who are willing to take care of their children and want their rights. I will set you up with what you need but I do not claim to take the place of legal representation.
    Tim52 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2010, 12:38 PM
    I am 47 she is 24. We were engaged to be married. We planned this pregnant. The child is due in March. We are no longer together and she is involved in a lesbian relationship. Now she wants me completely out of the picture. I was used as a sperm bank. I want to be in my sons life. She is trying to leave the country to Canada after the baby is born. We are in Arizona. What do I do? Tim
    Tim52 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2010, 12:40 PM

Your email is not showing
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jan 27, 2010, 01:28 PM

Email addresses are removed on this site: All questions and answers are encouraged to be PUBLIC>

In addition, this thread is originally THREE YEARS OLD.

It is now closed.

If you have a similar question, please start your own thread.

Thank you.
    lisabrogdon Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2010, 07:47 AM
    Comment on luphkin's post
    Hello... My son is possible father to son in Georgia. He was not sure at the beginning because there was another man, so my son just stepped away from the situation and now he and the mother are together and he has done a home DNA test to see the outc

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Fathers rights [ 4 Answers ]

OK here is my question. My son is 23 and he found out he might be a Father. The mother does not want the child and she wants to give it away. My son wants to raise the child. I want to know are what are his rights. Right now? How can he make sure the mother will look after herself and the unborn...

Fathers Rights [ 5 Answers ]

My daughters friend has a little girl from a previous girlfriend. They were never married. He is listed as the father on the birth certificate. The mother does not want child support and has sole custody of the child. The father paid for the hospital bills when she was born and still pays all...

Signing over rights between unmarried couple (17 and 18 yo) [ 26 Answers ]

My boyfriend is 18 years old and when he was 17 he got a 16 year old girl pregnant. Their baby is now 4 months old. While this girl was pregnant she physically attacted me and my boyfriend. And she broke into he's mother's house while he lived there and stole a car seat that he bought for he's car...

A fathers rights [ 1 Answers ]

For a man who is legally married but not living with his wife because of her decision what rights can he enforce and what course of action does he need to pursue legally to prevent her from getting an annulment preventing him from seeing his child till partenity is established the child is still...

Fathers rights PLEASE HELP! [ 4 Answers ]

I have a friend that is living with his girlfriend he is supporting her, her son from a previous relationship and now their son they have together. He is on the birth certificate and is an active father. He is wanting to take his son to a funeral out of town for a family member, girlfriend is not...

View more questions Search