Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    abrry193 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2012, 04:20 AM
    CD drive not working properly - vista
    Hi, the cd drive on my laptop does not seem to be working properly. It works to some extent in that it picks up that a cd is there, but it doesn't read the information on it properly.

For example, when I insert an audio cd and try to open it with itunes to copy onto my computer, it comes up with the wrong number of tracks, and some are listed as being 15 hours long, and of course this means it says it cannot find the track names etc.

I thought this was possibly an itunes problem, but it happens with any other media player as well. It just randomly started doing this a while ago now. At first if I just took out the cd and then reinserted it then the problem was fixed, but that doesn't happen anymore. With the cd I'm trying at the moment, it is consistent with how it is reading it wrong. Each time it comes up with 7 tracks (there should be 13) one of which is 15 hours long and if you try to play any of them you can hear bits of the songs but its scrambled a bit and cuts in and out.

Any ideas what the problem is and what I can do about this?

Thanks.

Jul 25, 2012, 04:05 AM
    Anybody able to help with this? Thanks.
    DELL_deepa Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2012, 09:20 AM
    Hi Abrry193,

My name is Deepa and I work for the Social Media and Community Team at Dell. First of all, I would suggest you to update the firmware of CD-DVD drive. The second thing that I would suggest you to do is some changes in registry settings. Following are the steps to delete the upper filter and lower filter which is the settings of CD-DVD drive:-
    1. Click the Start button, click Run.
    2. In the Open box, type Regedit, and then click OK.
    3. Click the plus sign (+) next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
    4. Click the plus sign (+) next to SYSTEM.
    5. Click the plus sign (+) next to CurrentControlSet.
    6. Click the plus sign (+) next to Control.
    7. Click the plus sign (+) next to Class.
    8. Click {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
    9. On the right side of the window, click UpperFilters.
    10. Click Edit on the menu bar.
    11. Click Delete, and then click OK.
    12. On the right side of the window, click LowerFilters.
    13. Click Edit on the menu bar.
    14. Click Delete, and then click OK.
    15. Click File, and then click Exit.
    16. Restart the computer normally.

In order to help you better please let me know the system model.
    For further assistance please reply.

Thanks and Regards
    Dell_Deepa_R
    Dell Social Media Responder
    https://twitter.com/Dellcares
    http://www.facebook.com/Dell

Jul 26, 2012, 09:34 PM
    Hi Deepa, thanks for your reply. The model is a Compaq Presario V3000.
    Before I try the method you listed above, when I check the 4D36E965... place it only has the upper filter file. There is no lower filter one. Should I still just delete the upper filter and continue on from there?

Jul 27, 2012, 09:02 AM
    Hi,

In case there is no lower filter listed, you can proceed after deleting the upper filter and can check the result.
    Although I'm not trained on compaq systems but this step might help you as this will be the change in registry setting which is more or less same for all systems.

Thanks and Regards
    Dell_Deepa_R

Jul 28, 2012, 06:13 PM
    Ok, I deleted the upper filter and restarted the computer. I'm still having the same problems however. Some cds it just plain won't recognize as even being there, whereas others it will think there are a different number of tracks and say that some of them are 15 hours long.

Is there anything else I can try?

Thanks again.

Jul 29, 2012, 01:34 PM
    Please try to update the firmware of CD-DVD drive and you can refer to this link:-

http://bit.ly/bgyMl

Please try to check with multiple numbers of CDs and most importantly check if the same problem is coming with DVDs as well. If this does not help we might need to replace the CD-DVD drive or we might need to restore the system back to factory settings. As I already mentioned I am not trained on Compaq systems, you might refer to the above link which is your manufacture's website for any further querries. Thank you.

Thanks and Regards
    Dell_Deepa_R

Aug 7, 2012, 04:55 AM
    Ok I tried updating the cd drive but it said there weren't any newer updates.
    I tried a couple dvds and data cds and had the same problem. Some it wouldn't read at all.
    I have noticed that when I open itunes I get a message saying "The registry settings used by the iTunes drivers for importing and burning CDs and DVDs are missing. This can happen as a result of installing other CD burning software. Please reinstall iTunes"

Unfortunately reinstalling iTunes didn't fix the issue. I don't remember installing any other CD burning software either.

Aug 14, 2012, 02:12 AM
    Another update.

Randomly I was able to play a dvd in my laptop. But today, as I was watching the dvd it just froze. I was using VLC player (what I normally use for dvds), and when I tried reopen the dvd it gave me this message: VLC is unable to open the MRL 'dvd://E:\'. Check the log for details.
    After this it decided to start playing again, but then would freeze after a couple minutes. This happened about 3 times and then just stopped working all together. And now its back to thinking there is no dvd inserted.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Copy Vista (not working) User folder to another working Vista HD [ 1 Answers ]

Solving: 1) How to Copy Newest User Data (12-12-09) from Newest C Drive whose operating system will no longer boot up and the HD now is in a USB exteral storage unit; 2) Copy into working restored older Acronis backup of 9-10-2009. Best Strategy please:? Other strategies? I have available...

Vista hard drive [ 1 Answers ]

How do I wipe out hard drive on vista so I can reinstall os?

Flash drive issues on Vista [ 5 Answers ]

Hello there. I have an PNY 4.0Gb flash drive USB that I use to go between my Mac and my laptop because my network went down. The flash drive was acting up so I erased it in my disk utility as a DOS-FAT on my mac. Then, when I put it into the Vista Laptop it asked me to FORMAT the disk. Fine, I...

External Hard drive not working properly [ 3 Answers ]

Hello there! Can anyone help me figure this out? :confused: I recently bought a brand new external drive. Transcend storejet25c 500G. I verified it at the store and it works just fine. My laptop is an HP2500 pavilion, vista home premium. Well, my problem is that it sometimes works...

EXternal Hard Drive and VISTA ? [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: I have an HP laptop with Vista loaded and for some reason it will not detect my external hard Drive(300 GB) when plugged into USB Port. Any Suggestion on how to correct this problem as I am not familiar with Windows Vista. Thanks! RMP:confused:

View more questions Search