Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shime Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2011, 07:30 AM
    My 5 year old son won't talk but gifted?
    Hello every one, my son is 5, but he can't speak properly. In addition his teacher told me he has some bizarre behavior in school like running around classes,jumbing,screaming . He gets bored easly and wants to do what adults are doing than kids.when he see people playing basket he wants to play,when he see people paulvalt he wants to copy them and do it. Please advise me
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 22, 2011, 07:36 AM

Has he been to a pediatrician yet? He needs to be. I see signs of ADHD as well as possible other issues.

Hearing problems can easily affect speech development if he hasn't been checked for it.
    summer_girl Posts: 146, Reputation: 48

Mar 22, 2011, 08:03 AM
    A regular pediatrician is a good starting point, but a developmental pediatrician may be what you need to get the best analysis. ADHD is not even looked at until medical issues like vision, hearing, and reaching milestones are considered and ruled out. It may be that he has no medical issues but has a speech delay and needs to be seen by a speech therapist. It may be that he is on the autism spectrum. He could have a combination of issues. It sounds like it's definitely time to get him checked out. And yes, some children do have a delay/disability in some areas plus above average intelligence. It's most challenging to handle both sets of needs, but it can be done.
    shime Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2011, 08:14 AM
    He has been to a pediatrician many times for regular checkups.not the last one year though.Recently we relocated to another country and he find it tough to cope up.the younger brother who is only three is better in responding. Like you said I will take him to a pediatrician soon
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Mar 25, 2011, 06:23 PM

For some five year olds, that is not such bizarre behavior. Unacceptable behavior in school, to be sure, but not necessarily bizarre.

Is this recent? Is he this active normally? How were things before the move? It could be possible the recent move to a different country is part of the issue. Is there a language difference? If he has difficulty understanding what is going on around him at school on a daily basis, that could result in frustration and anxiety... both of which would be difficult for many five year olds to verbalize.

Does he have some opportunities for daily physical activity outside of school? Running around outside, riding a bike, for example. Many children would love to participate in the activities they see adults doing. If he is very physical, you might consider a sport he can get involved in.
    leahsonear Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2012, 07:18 AM
    I have the same trouble with my 5yr old grandson. The doctors have put it down to "global delay development", which I take as they don't want to give a diagnosis or are waiting for more symptons. He is very quiet and shy but will stand up for himeself if bullied. He understands what I am saying and was toilet trained from the age of 2yrs. They are teaching him sign language at school but he can repeat words they are just not that clear and cannot put more than 2 words together, he also tends to use a soft voice. Although sometinmes he is loud and screams. It is difficult to watch them get further behind, they find it hard to have friends because they can't verbalise. It also creates self harming because they are not being understood. I just say do what you can for them because you can't rely on the medical profession these days

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is my 4 year old son gifted? [ 16 Answers ]

Hi. I believe my son who's nearly four may be gifted. Since a very young age he has been ablt to do so many things. He can count endessly and count backwards. He can do a bit of addition, can spell quite a lot of words, his full name, and most of our family members names. He can read books and...

My 3 year old Son Doesn't Talk [ 23 Answers ]

My son just turned three in January. He is a sweet, lovable, funny, active little boy. All of his developmental milestones have been right on, with the exception of his speech. As I said, he just turned three, and he only has 2 words that are actually "words". His mouth goes non-stop, but it's...

Why my three year old son does not talk? [ 3 Answers ]

My three years old son is not able to talk.Good evening, My son is three years old and he doesn't talk, he like to play and he can call people he knows by their names and when you call him he can respond very well. My main concern is that he can not talk properly and when you ask him about his...

My 3 year old son don't talk [ 8 Answers ]

My 3 year old son only says single words which are not clearly understood. My older son went to speech therapy when he was 4, but he talked just had some problems with certain letters. Could speech help my son that doesn't even really talk?

Is my 5 year old son gifted or just a quick learner or is their a difference [ 3 Answers ]

We have a 5 year old son who picks up on things very quickly he has not started kindergarten yet he will start next year. He can count to 100 by ones and by 10's , he can count to 15 in Spanish he knows the oceans of the earth can spell his name his brothers name mommy daddy grandma and grandpa. ...

View more questions Search