Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    asnowflake4you Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2007, 06:38 PM
    Doorbell getting hot
    My husband and I just installed a new doorbell since the one that was there was somewhat on the dated side. They both are lighted doorbells, but this one is getting hot to touch. I didn't notice the old one ever doing that. Is that safe or is there a problem with it?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Sep 28, 2007, 06:50 PM
    Lighted doorbells sometimes get warm, but they should not get hot. Check to see if any of the ventilation holes in the switch are being blocked.

I modified mine and replaced the light with a chip LED and resistor. It takes a little bit of surgery, but I should never have to replace it.
    asnowflake4you Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 30, 2007, 05:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid
    Lighted doorbells sometimes get warm, but they should not get hot. Check to see if any of the ventilation holes in the switch are being blocked.

I modified mine and replaced the light with a chip LED and resistor. It takes a little bit of surgery, but I should never have to replace it.
    Thank you! Hopefully we won't have to perform surgery on it. ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hot doorbell transformer [ 9 Answers ]

My doorbell stopped working. I tried replacing the transformer, but noticed it got very hot when I connected the wires that go to the chime. I even bought a second transformer and it is also getting very hot. The wires at the chime and to the door bell ringer are disconnected and hangling...

Feeling hot hot (water) and then it is not at all hot [ 3 Answers ]

We have scalding hot water for a couple of minutes and then it cuts off . We have a state water heater model e5650dols. We set our temperature lower and reset the unit only to have it replicate the same problem. Is this due to the theromostat if so is it the lower or the upper. How do you tell??...

Radiators hot but hot water from taps luke warm [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, First of all I am novice.. a real novice when it comes to plumbing, so please be easy on me :) I hope someone can shed some light on this weird problem. I have a conventional boiler with a hot water tank in the bathroom and 2 tanks in the loft. The radiators in the house are fine, they...

Wiring a second doorbell [ 1 Answers ]

I am attempting to wire a second doorbell. I read in your column that you should wire the two doorbells together. However, I cannot snake a wire to my first doorbell. The second doorbell is located at the button that was once on the outside of the house. Can I wire my second doorbell into the...

Wiring my doorbell [ 3 Answers ]

My husband and I own a split level home with a doorbell upstairs. The problem is that we can't hear it if we're in a room downstairs. I bought a second doorbell and picked a location downstairs, but I'm not sure how to wire it in to the first doorbell, since there is a floor/ceiling beam in the...

View more questions Search