Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Fendibanks Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2012, 06:21 PM
    Hair follicle test
    If my urine test came back negative for marijuana & I only used 3 times last month(april) & I took my test may.. Will my hAir show up for marijuana ? Please help
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 9, 2012, 06:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fendibanks View Post
    If my urine test came back negative for marijuana & I only used 3 times last month(april) & I took my test may .. Will my hAir show up for marijuana ? Please help
    Probably will. Once its in the hair.. it stays there until it grows out and gets cut off or it falls out.

May 9, 2012, 07:01 PM
    But I never smoked ever before that , sooo will it still show up

May 9, 2012, 07:01 PM
    @smoothy
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 9, 2012, 07:23 PM
    Like I said... as long as you have hair on your body that was growing WHEN you smoked that... it will turn up positive if they pluck that hair for testing.

Doesn't matter how often or when... a positive will get you in trouble with whomever is doing the test for whatever reason they are doing it.

Eventually hair grows out... gets cut... or falls out. So there will be a time in the future when no hair on your body will test positive if that's the only time you did it. And you never do it again. However that's going to take some time... once its locked in your hair it doesn't metabolize... it doesn't flush out.. hair is dead beyond the follicle so it stays there once it's there.

No hair remains with you for life... it all falls out and is replaced from time to time. That being said... given enough time the odds they pluck an older hair for testing decreases.
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

May 9, 2012, 08:24 PM
    If my urine test came back negative for marijuana & I only used 3 times last month(april) & I took my test may .. Will my hAir show up for marijuana ? Please help
    Smoothy is correct. Once the metabolite of cannabis (THC-COOH) is incorporated into your hair it is there for an extended period.

Where I differ is that COOH is not readily incorporated into hair. [This is the incorporation rate (ICR), and all drugs have different ICRs.] It is generally acknowledged that COOH has the lowest ICR of all drugs. As example, cocaine has an ICR 3600X that of COOH.

As a result, one time or infrequent cannabis use is seldom detected in hair testing. More apt to be detected in urine... which you indicate was negative. But even in this regard comparisons can be misleading.

Urine testing can be negative one day and positive the next. That is because the THC metabolite stores in adipose (fatty) tissues [termed lipophilic] and releases at unpredictable intervals.

Now this low ICR in combination with the lipophilic nature of THC requires accumulation [and it is cumulative] of systemic THC in order for a hair test to be positive. Accumulation requires repeated use.

Hair is a very poor medium (matrix) for detection of cannabis use. Very, very poor.

The answer to your question rests entirely on the facts aforecited. Not the month before but rather on history of previous use, generally in the range of 90 days.

In general terms, hair testing will detect heavy cannabis use [3-5 times per day] around 60-65% of subjects, moderate use [1-2 times weekly] under 40%, infrequent use [1-2 times weekly] very seldom and lesser amount almost never and one time use at 0%.

Reference:

1)Musshoff & Madea, 2006 Peer reviewed
    2)Auwater, 2010 Peer reviewed
    3)Dupont, 2008 Authoritative but advisory
    4)Nakahara, 1995 Peer reviewed
    5)Huestis, 2007 or Huestis, Gustafson Both peer reviewed. Marilyn Huestis is the most prolific researcher of cannibis (n the US NIH) for at least 2 decades.
    6)Smeal, 2007 (doctoral dissertation) Critically reviewed
    7)Musshoff, 2012 Peer reviewed
    8)Ledgerwood, et al 2008 Peer reviewed

Addition:

Hair drug testing does not involve "plucking". Pulling or extracting sub-dermal hair, in other words the follicle of the hair.

Tested hair is removed by cutting, like a hair cut, above the scalp. Never below. Hair is not yanked from you head. Ergo it is the hair shaft that is tested and not the follicle. (see references above)

May 9, 2012, 10:58 PM
    Thanks drbill100 I feel much better now
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

May 9, 2012, 11:06 PM
    Thanks drbill100 i feel much better now
    Why

May 10, 2012, 04:52 AM
    Because I thought I was going to fail

May 10, 2012, 05:13 AM
    @drbill100

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hair follicle test [ 4 Answers ]

I never smoked until recently in the month of April like 2 times.. Took my test may 7th , what is the chances of it showing in my hair ? Ps didn't smoke a whole blunt like 2-3 pulls

Hair follicle test [ 2 Answers ]

I hit a joint two months ago I rareley smoke I have a hair follicle test this week I drink cranberry juice and water heavy everyday could I pass?

Hair Follicle Test [ 1 Answers ]

I have smoked 1 blunt in the last 4 day and in about a week I will have to take a hair follicle test and I was wanting to know will I pass it or how can I pass it? Now keep in mind that I haven't smoked in some years. Just bored and stressed because my job closed down.

Hair follicle test [ 1 Answers ]

I have not used cocaine in 8 months but it is still showing up in a hair follicle test, how is this possible when the testing is for 3 months back?

View more questions Search