Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    moreland Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2007, 07:44 PM
    Deed (gift) of house
    My father is nearing the end of his life. He has arranged his affairs such that instead of willing me his house, he is in the process of transferring the house to me via deed, reserving life estates to him and my mother who is also dying. Since he is doing this prior to his death ,and as such the house is not mentioned in his will as going to me, will I now be subject to gift taxes?

Thanks.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 8, 2007, 06:51 AM
    Most likely yes, Have you considered merely being added to the deed instead of a pure transfer.

Also since I don't know all the laws in all the states ( if you even live in the US) it may be wise to visit a real estate attorney in your area. A couple hundred dollars of adivce to save 1000's can be worth it
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 8, 2007, 07:15 AM
    How much do you think your father's estate will be worth? Unless you are dealing with a multi-million dollar estate, the whole estate may be exempt from inheritance taxes. So it may not be necessary to go through the life estate thing. I would assume your father is doing this through an attorney so ask the estate attorney about your tax liability.

Jan 8, 2007, 05:33 PM
    I live in MN. The house 350K and cash is about 500K. His attorney suggested this route. My father has some fears about sibling contests. I don't think there would be. So I think you're saying I will end up paying estate taxes. Would this be after his death? Until then he's paying all property taxes and upkeep of the home.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 8, 2007, 06:36 PM
    Who am I to argue with an attorney, if the fear is about sibling contests then yes get rid of it before hand, I do believe the taxes this way could be higher, but not as high as lawyers if you have a long probate battle

Jan 8, 2007, 08:11 PM
    What I do know is that the estate is well below the $2M threshold for inheritance tax. Which means none of you should have to pay taxes on the inheritance. What I don't know is whether what the attorney is setting up would result in a tax liability to you now.

What I fear is that the attorney can charge higher fees for setting up the life estates etc. then just writing a simple will and that may be why he's pushing this.

Jan 8, 2007, 09:28 PM
    Thank you Fr_Chuck.

ScottGem: I'll look further into what the tax liability may be.

Can you elaborate any on what you mean by... "What I fear is that the attorney can charge higher fees for setting up the life estates etc. then just writing a simple will and that may be why he's pushing this."

Thanks.
    Moreland

Jan 9, 2007, 06:54 AM
    Lawyers charge their fees generally on the amount of hours they work on case. A simple will might take 2 hours, setting up a life estate might take 6 hours. So its in the lawyer's interest to push for the more complex solution so they can make more money. That doesn't mean they don't feel it's the better solution, but its possible they are recommending it simply to generate more income.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to add spouses name to deed on house... [ 4 Answers ]

I need to know how to go about adding my name to the deed of our house. Who would I see... realtor, title company... and what forms do we need to fill out?

Add my husband to the deed of my house [ 5 Answers ]

I would like to know how I can add my husband to the deed of my house. Thanks, Judy

How to add spouse's name to deed on house [ 3 Answers ]

How do I go about adding my name to the deed on my home? It is only in my husbands name. We moved in the house together 28 years ago. We have been married 26 years. The house is paid for.

Need to Deed a House back to the bank [ 5 Answers ]

I currently own 2 properties and I need to sell one of them. It is a condo in Howell MI. We have tired everything to try and sell the property from paying closing costs to increasing the commission for the agents selling or buying the property. We have run out of ideas and money and now we need to...

Anonymity on House Deed/Public Records? [ 2 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to not have my name on my house deed because it is a public record and can be looked up easily by surnames? (this is for personal safety concerns) Would purchasing the home in the name of a Trust or LLC work? Any other ideas? Thank you for your help. ...

View more questions Search