Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    saransh katAR Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2008, 03:28 AM
    English grammar
    What do we say turn the fan off or put the fan off??
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 10, 2008, 03:36 AM
    I would say that it depends on where you are located and what the colloquial customs are concerning the language that is used. What may be acceptable in one region may not be acceptable in another.

Around where I am located, we would say "turn the fan off."
    saransh katAR Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2008, 03:38 AM
    It is turn the fan off by james
    Uber Member

Jun 10, 2008, 03:56 AM
    Okay. I'm not sure what you mean by your answer. Who is James, please? Thanks!
    smokedetector Posts: 368, Reputation: 56

Jun 10, 2008, 04:43 AM
    I've never heard "put the fan off." I'm thinking that sounds more British to me, just because I can only even imagine it being said with that kind of accent.
    jessirich Posts: 41, Reputation: 2

Jun 10, 2008, 10:03 AM
    I am an English major, and the correct saying is, "Turn off the fan". You never want to end a sentence with a preposition.
    HistorianChick Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 825
    Ultra Member

Jun 10, 2008, 10:05 AM
    "James, please turn off the fan." Is more accurate, in my opinion.
    Uber Member

Jun 11, 2008, 04:28 AM
    In my opinion, there are times when ending a sentence with a preposition might be okay and acceptable depending on the crowd with whom and to which you are trying to communicate something.

For instance, I have had persons who have not understood what I have had to say because I have used correct English grammar the way that it should be used in sentences.

In those instances, using it incorrectly might be okay, in order for the message can be delivered and understood and thus whatever is meant to be conveyed and the appropriate action taken by the person receiving the message can understand the message and act upon it according to how it is delivered according to how they will understand it the best.
    jessirich Posts: 41, Reputation: 2

Jun 11, 2008, 08:24 AM
    I understand what you are saying, but as you said, it is not correct. The way that you have mentioned is nonstandard. To use standard English, you would have to say, "Turn off the fan". By using a preposition at the end of the sentence, you are being nonstandard, which is incorrect. Just because you would say it differently to a different audience, doesn't mean it's right.
    Lirdn Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2013, 05:12 AM
    American English it's turn the fan off languages

English The Easy Way
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 15, 2013, 06:10 AM
    Lirdn - why are you dragging up a 5-year-old post? I suspect that by now the fan is already off.
    stars321 Posts: 3, Reputation: 0

May 15, 2013, 11:41 AM
    Turn the fan off

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Lack of scientific and logical grammar in english language [ 7 Answers ]

We start learning english from our childhood. But what I wonder is that the problem with the language is that we cannot read a word unless we 've heard it before. For e.g. the suffix -tion is pronounced as "shun" but any beginner (say a child of kindergarten) who has just studied the individual...

English grammar/punctuation [ 7 Answers ]

Is this correct grammar and punctuation for the following sentence? I'm holding the article "Five Steps to a Healthy Heart" for an issue close to Valentine's Day.

Need help with English Grammar [ 8 Answers ]

Q10. Which one of the following two sentences are correct. The operating rooms are all in good order. More than one is equipped with the latest imaging technology. The operating rooms are all in good order. More than one are equipped with the latest imaging technology.

View more questions Search