Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jdflood3 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2017, 04:16 PM
    Stoping Concentric Vent exhaust freeze over
    I'm the maintenance guy for a 22 unit apartment building HUD/MISHDA. I have 3 units that the concentric vents exhaust (center pipe) freezes over whenever the temp drops below 0. Here in the central UP of Michigan that's fairly often.
    The ice plug at the termination point is ice, not frost and is about 4-5 inches back
    Into the pipe.
    The company that installed them (3 yrs ago) says to cut the exhaust pipe and vent into the attic or basement area. Sorry, but this just has problems written all over it. The 2 in the attic run vertically through about 15 +- feet of unheated attic, the exhaust is insulated up to the concentric vent. The exhaust in the basement (horizontal) has 3 90s about and 16-17 feet of pipe in between.
    Does anyone have a way to keep them from freezing?

Check out some similar questions!

Should I vent bathroom exhaust fan? [ 6 Answers ]

I just discovered that our exhaust fan dumps directly into the attic. There's no duct out through the roof. I know it SHOULD have a duct, but is it imperative? Am I destroying the attic? There are two attic vents on either side of the attic which is where, I assume, the moisture is leaving....

How do I insulate an oil boiler exhaust vent? [ 5 Answers ]

I have an oil fueled boiler in a lower level with a 30' run of an 8" exhaust through a crawl space to the chimney. The temperature of the exhaust near the boiler is 700F and it drops to 250F near the chimney. I would like to insulate it with something to reduce the temperature drop so that the...

Exhaust vent boot installation [ 1 Answers ]

Recently I was in my attic & noticed water damage located right below a vent stack. I checked the exterior boot & noticed the bottom portion of the boot flashing was nailed down. Is this proper installation to nail the bootom portion of the rubber boot flashing? Should it only be caulked?? ...

Exhaust vent [ 4 Answers ]

We have a new furnace located in the basement with a PVC exhaust pipe. The exhaust exits the house through the wall at the floor joists and is turned down toward the ground with a 90 degree elbow. Is this a common practice? I just assumed that it would exhaust through the roof as the old systems...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.