Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jenny49 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2010, 11:59 AM
    Whose fault if your parked car door damages another parked car
    My child was in a friends mother's car and she parked close to another car. My son opened the door and it made a very small dent in the other car's side. The mother of my sons friend has given my details to the other person who apparently is intending to claim for damage to her car from me. I would like to know if is my fault (through my son's mishap) because he says the car was too close to the other car. Personally I think it should be the driver's responsibility-does anyone know whose blame it is?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 15, 2010, 04:49 PM

It was her car that did the damage but it was your son who did it. Technically it's HER accident and not yours.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 15, 2010, 07:05 PM

The owner of the other can can sue either of you or both of you.

You are legally responsible for actions of your children
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jan 15, 2010, 08:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    The owner of the other can can sue either of you or both of you.

You are legally responsible for actions of your children
    It's not that clear-cut. In many states only for wilful or malicious acts of the child. Look at this for more details.

The driver of the car (your friend) should notify her insurance company, and let them determine whether they figure she is liable. In any case they will take care of it, either by paying to fix the damage, or telling the owner of the other car that their insured isn't liable. If, then, the other driver sues her, the insurance company will hire an attorney to defend her.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 16, 2010, 10:05 AM

I have no idea what the dollar amount of any of this is. I investigate accidents; I say that the owner of the vehicle with the opening door is responsible - it doesn't matter how close together the cars are parked, a person still can't open the door into another vehicle. I've climbed across a console to get into the driver's seat when somebody parked too close to my car to open my door.

That's my legal answer. My moral answer is that if my child opens anyone's door into someone else's car, I pay for the damage. It's a lesson to children about being responsible.
    Jenzie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2012, 06:48 AM
    A neighbour was parked sitting in his car, my daughter was coming up the road and he opened his driving side door into the path of my daughter's car, pushing the wing and door in of her car, he did not look before opening his door, he will not admit it is his fault, this has been going on since July last year, what could happen here?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Mar 11, 2012, 07:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenzie View Post
    ... pushing the wing and door in of her car...
    What's a "wing"?

... this has been going on since July last year, what could happen here?
    You haven't filed a claim with his insurance company? If you had, they would have paid to fix your daughter's car; he was clearly at fault. What is he claiming as an excuse?

It may be too late to file an insuance claim now.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 13, 2012, 10:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    You haven't filed a claim with his insurance company? If you had, they would have paid to fix your daughter's car; he was clearly at fault.
    Agreed - when opening a car door into a traffic lane you are required to look to make sure there is no oncoming traffic. So it's his fault, unless your daughter was not traveling in a proper traffic lane (i.e. she swerved into his car). I suggest you notify your own insurance company - let them go after him and his insurance on your behalf. If properly handled your car should be fixed at no cost to you.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 13, 2012, 11:03 AM
    A neighbour was parked sitting in his car, my daughter was coming up the road and he opened his driving side door into the path of my daughter's car, pushing the wing and door in of her car, he did not look before opening his door, he will not admit it is his fault, this has been going on since July last year, what could happen here?

I would like more info - if he opened his door into passing traffic it would have done a LOT of damage to his door, including folding it backwards.

I've investigated a number of these. Never once did the person who was driving have no responsibility. Insurance companies like to hang their defense on the "car under complete control at all times" thinking.

Again, I'd like to know more. The obvious answer, of course, is to report it to the insurance company, although it now may be too late.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My parked car was hit by niighbor and I am in a tough situation now! [ 15 Answers ]

LAst night my neighbor's daughter backed out of her driveway and hit my trucks rear bumper and cracked the hard plastic. My car is always in my drive way except for this only time I pulled in front of my house in the neighborhood on the city street for twenty minutes to pick up my brother. (my...

Hitting a car improperly parked on a culdesac street [ 8 Answers ]

We live on a culdesac street where parking is very limited. We have a very long driveway and back out early in the morning. My neighbors park on the street head on into the curb and there for are sticking out into the culdesac in front of our driveway. What happens if we hit there car that is...

Parked car/moving car crash - who is at fault? [ 13 Answers ]

I was parked in a parking lot. Opened my car door, car speeds into adjacent space, clips my door. Woman exits screaming, crying, hysterical, her husband's wallet has just been stolen, he will kill her etc. Minimal damage to the inside of my door, but it's $550 (just over my deductible) she has a...

Teen, 16, hit a parked car/no license [ 6 Answers ]

My best friend, 16, who I'd do anything for, went to get some food one day but hit a parked car as he was pulling in to park. The car he hit was a brand new toyota tocoma, which the guy bought last week. He was an off duty cop! My best friend was a total mess, crying and panicking because it was a...

View more questions Search