Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fnaanurag Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2008, 07:24 AM
    New thermostat for A/C
    I am just purchasing the house, and the thermostat for A/C and heating is not there. I am just wondering if it will be possible for me to replace this myself. How do I know, what thermostat to buy? There is a wire hanging out from the wall where the thermostat should go. I believe that should help in identifying the thermostat I should go for.

Do we need to shutdown the entire electricity of the house to install the thermostat? Are there any electricity in the a/c-heating wires?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Aug 2, 2008, 07:33 AM
    I am just wondering if it will be possible for me to replace this myself

Possibly

How do I know, what thermostat to buy?

You need to know what type of HVAC system you have.
    Heat pump with or without electric heat
    Gas furnace with or without A/C
    Boiler or a combination of the above.

There is a wire hanging out from the wall where the thermostat should go. I believe that should help in identifying the thermostat I should go for.

I do not think so. Many times a thermostat wire is installed that has additional conductors.

Do we need to shutdown the entire electricity of the house to install the thermostat?

Just the power for the HVAC system.

Are there any electricity in the a/c-heating wires?

YES

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Changed over from White Rodgers Thermostat to Honeywell thermostat [ 3 Answers ]

I have a White Rodgers 2 stage heat/1 cool model 1F58-58 heat pump thermostat that I have changed over to a Honeywell programmable thermostat model RTH7400. Did all the correct wiring as stated in the books but when set to cool, the heater kicks on instead of the central air conditioning. What...

Replacement of Carrier Heat Pump Thermostat with Honeywell TH6000 series thermostat. [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Carrier Series 50QT Electric heat pump that still uses the original non programmable thermostat. I am trying to replace it with Honeywell TH6000 series programmable thermostat. The wiring on the existing Thermostat as follows: O - White, I am thinking this is the Reversing Valve? Y...

Changing over from White Rodgers Thermostat to Honeywell thermostat [ 3 Answers ]

I have a White Rodgers 2 stage heat/1 cool model 1F58-58 heat pump thermostat that I want to change over to a Honeywell programmable thermostat model RTH7400. I need help in trying to figure out the wiring part of this whole thing. Can someone out there please help. I would certainly appreciate...

Thermostat turns on furnace and then thermostat shuts back to HOLD [ 7 Answers ]

I believe that when we re-run the program with the correct date and time, if the temp has to go up, the furnace runs until it gets the appropriate temp, then it turns off and when it does that, the thermostat also turns off going to the HOLD state.:confused:

View more questions Search