Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    modular01 Posts: 129, Reputation: 36

Jul 16, 2007, 12:46 PM
    Laws on vehicle repossession in Illinois.
    My cousin had her car repossessed April 18th of 2007 (she is going through a divorce and is having financial problems of a result. The bank still hasn't sent a notice through the mail as to when the car will be resold (which from what I understand the bank legally has to do that, along with the time and place of the sale). Is there a statute of limitations as to how long the bank can keep the car without selling it? Her fear is that the longer the bank waits, the less the car will be worth (with next years models coming out). She can't afford a lawyer to fight this in court (if she could afford a lawyer she would ask to pay the deficiency on the loan and get the car back). What options does she have?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2007, 02:24 PM
    Hello mod:

None, really. The car belongs to the bank. They'll sell it or not. They don't have to tell your cousin anything. They have a few years within which to sue her. I'll bet they will.

If she has CASH to make up the payments, she could sure try to save the deal. Why doesn't she call 'em up?

excon
    modular01 Posts: 129, Reputation: 36

Jul 16, 2007, 02:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello mod:

None, really. The car belongs to the bank. They'll sell it or not. They don't have to tell your cousin anything. They have a few years within which to sue her. I'll bet they will.

If she has CASH to make up the payments, she could sure try to save the deal. Why doesn't she call 'em up?

excon
    She has already tried that. They want more than she can give, and they aren't willing to compromise.

I've been trying to do some research for her on the laws concerning this (online as always, lol).

One of the law sites I visited said that the car has to be sold within certain guidelines, and that it has to leave the banks hands within three months (for Illinois at least).

She owed 3 years left on the car, and she had been paying for 2 years on it.

Thanks for your input on this. Much appreciated.
    exrepo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2009, 05:01 PM
    Its really up to the bank to decide what happens to the car once it has been recovered, ask her to try and talk to a bank manager and see if they will help with accepting payments for like 6 months, on a reg. schedule and see what happens with that

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Businesses headquartered in Illinois [ 5 Answers ]

Can anyone give a good source to find out how many businesses are headquartered in Illinois? The catch is the headquartered part. I've been on the US Census Bureau site but there is know way of distinguishing if a business is headquarted there.

Bonded in Illinois [ 4 Answers ]

I am in the process of starting an Errand and Concierge service in Illinois, and I would like to be bonded. Does anyone know where this can be done? All the research I have done seems to put the cost at about 1000.00,

Filing bankruptcy Illinois [ 1 Answers ]

I just lost my job after my husband finally gained one, we are not catching up on our bills we filled chapter 7 in 99 are we able to do it again if needed thank you barb

View more questions Search