Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shinytop91 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2013, 09:27 PM
    Question for DRBILL - Hair Follicle Test
    I know this has been asked about a million times, but my question is a little different. I have a hair follicle test coming up and I smoked a little marijuana about a month ago (3-4 hits off one bowl) and I know you've said THC is hard to detect in hair follicle tests but it seems you are referring to the hair being taken from the head. I shave my head so ill have to use my body hair, will that make a difference in the result of the test?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 26, 2013, 09:29 PM
    Dr. Bill is no longer a member.

It doesn't matter where on the body the hair is taken from.

Apr 26, 2013, 09:48 PM
    Oh OK, so I should be good then?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 26, 2013, 09:59 PM
    Not necessarily. What fl you stand to lose if you fail?

Apr 27, 2013, 01:03 AM
    Well it's a pre-employment drug screen. I currently have a job, but this is a slightly better job I had applied for a while back and was told there weren't any openings, but I got the call the other day saying there was a position available now. I don't want to risk leaving this job just to fail this drug screen. It was a stupid mistake to take those few hits and I'm just trying to see if it's possible I might still pass this drug screen. Any info you could give me would really help
    lucky12345 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2013, 05:48 PM
    You're going to be fine.

I'll summarize what you would find if you researched DrBill's old posts on this forum and the research articles that he cited.

THC metabollites do not actively bond in the hair follicles so light and infrequent usage is not going to be revealed on a test. You would have to be a heavy and consistent user for the residue to show up in your hair and pop a positive. 3-4 hits is not going to fail you if that is the complete truth.

Body hair will show a longer timeline than hair off your head. It isn't any more or less likely to 'grab' metabollites. Because you said your last session was about a month ago and you didn't mention any use before that, the region where they pull from will not matter. I never understand why people shave their heads, there is no benefit.

You should be fine. Even heavy users are only caught 60% of the time. Moderate at about 30-40% and light users are rarely caught.

And just a side note, the forum history is your friend. There are lots of similar situations to yours both on this forum and around the internet. You will find that the people that fail these tests are heavy users or (substantially more than 3-4 hits one time).

May 4, 2013, 04:07 PM
    I really appreciate your answer lucky12345. Sounds like ill be OK.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Question for DrBill - Hair Follicle Drug test on leg hairs [ 0 Answers ]

Hello and thank you Dr. I took a HFT test yesterday and hair was used from my legs because my head hair was too short. I haven't smoked weed for 77 days prior to testing and about 2-3 times in the months of Nov-early Dec. Smoked marijuana only once in my life about 3 years prior to that. What are...

DrBill: Hair follicle drug test marijuana [ 3 Answers ]

Im sure this question has been asked a hell of a lot on these forums but I'm going for a pre employment medical and I know they do a drug screen not 100%sure if they will do a hair test or just a urine test but I'm still extremely worried... I smoked a small joint on the 7th of September and...

View more questions Search