Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Feb 3, 2006, 02:47 PM
    Google?
    How come so many people can't figure out how to do their own research into topics they're interested in?

Is Google still that much of a mystery?
    Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

Feb 3, 2006, 04:10 PM
    Agreed.When I was at school,we only had books from the public library.Now everyone (mostly) has the internet,or access to it.How easy is that?
    Maybe that could be part of the problem.Instant problem solving.No need for a map,pen,and paper.Ask AMHD,and they will do your homework.No.I will point kids in the right direction,and offer advice,if they are genuinely stuck,but do 2+2 for them.Get a life... :eek:
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 3, 2006, 04:53 PM
    I am amazed at how happy some people are to have somebody do a search and post a link. We still have some forums where we lack good people. If somebody has time to do that, I see no problem if nobody here can give a good answer. With all the junk on the net, it is easier find a site than judge its quality.

With what I have seen of advice on housebreaking a dog on most web sites, no wonder I see so many questions from people having trouble. They would be far better off coming here and getting my advice than doing a web search.

If I ask a question, I am hoping for somebody that knows more than me to answer or direct me to a web site they were able to judge is reliable.

Good point Nez. I have made it very explicit in my profile on another site that I will not do homework, and still have many obviously homework questions sent to me.
    rudi_in Posts: 251, Reputation: 45

Feb 3, 2006, 08:41 PM
    Interesting point.

Here is my take...

I figure many of our users are a part of the "Net Generation", a group of people for whom the internet has always been available. They do not know a world without the internet. They may even have used it in their kindergarten classes. They DO know how to Google. But for many in the net generation, the internet is also their primary mode of social interaction. This is an age where they communicate with others by text message on cell phones, instant message on Yahoo! Or whatever, e-mail, discussion forums, and chat rooms. We even have dating, mating, romance, and marriage that result from the internet. This is a medium where they are comfortable.

My point is that for many, a place such as the Ask Me Help Desk is just another comfortable means of socialization. It is often times perhaps more rewarding to engage in this type of "interactive research" as opposed to simply googling and filtering the "meat from the bones" all alone.

We should also understand that other groups of customers with whom we interact may have very little computer experience. A couple of senior citizens that bought a computer so they could e-mail their grandchildren but are afraid of their computer at the same time.

Perhaps WE were a part of the results of a Google.

Maybe we were recommended to someone as a reliable source.

We need to be sensitive to the needs of our diverse customer base and perform our jobs as experts in a polite, professional manner regardless of the reasons our customers come to us.

Let's not scare them off by responding to their questions in a rude or demeaning way. We want them to come back.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 3, 2006, 08:54 PM
    Hush, don't give away our secret tricks, How am I suppose to be considered such a genious ( besides so good looking) if everyone starts going to Google and not asking us.

Ok, seriouslly I have often wondered, I don't personally use Google much but I do know what you mean. Many of my answes come from a simple web search and the answer is found in the top 10 results normally.
    klmgb Posts: 114, Reputation: 13

Feb 3, 2006, 10:42 PM
    You'd be surprised at the INTERNET GENERATION, and how little they actually know about how to really use it. I use my son as an example. He is 19, started learning "keyboarding" in kindergarten. We've been online since the days of Prodigy and 14.4 modems. He is always on line, downloading stuff, yakking w/friends, etc. Well after he got laid off from his first real world job and had to apply for UI benefits he fretted about how, where, etc. When I suggested he get on line and at minimum get the info from the state site or even see if he could apply on-line, I got the deer in there headlight look. He had no idea you could do such useful things online.
    manojrane Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2006, 02:18 AM
    Check out...

http://www.useit.com/alertbox/search_engines.html
    And
    http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20040816.html
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 4, 2006, 06:31 AM
    Hi,
    Research can be done using a Search Engine, or taking the faster, easier way out and asking questions at a good Q&A site, like this one.
    If everyone did their own research, there would be no need for Q&A sites, and all of us answering questions would have to find something else to do for fun.
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Feb 4, 2006, 08:15 PM
    You are an awesome bunch.. thanks! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Google Earth [ 3 Answers ]

Does anyone know if Google earth plans to upgrade the resolution of itīs satellite images in the many areas that are currently at lower resolution?

Google [ 3 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I wonder if you can help me, how do you delete histories on Google, now I know how to do this with Google tools, but at the moment I have Google as my home page and there are no tools when it is Google home page. I hope you understand my question. Thanks all.:confused:

Google Analytics. [ 2 Answers ]

Anyone use Google Analytics? I guess I don't keep up enough... I just got an invitation and have never heard of it before. I use Webalizer for web stats... is this one any better? Thanks!

Google [ 1 Answers ]

Recently the Google tool bar disappeared from my browser home page. I went to Google and downloaded and installed the bar again but it does not appear in my browser under the address bar as it always has. The suggestions on the Google home page don't get it to show up and Google doesn't reply to...

View more questions Search