Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zix Posts: 33, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2006, 12:55 PM
    How to print multiple letters at a time
    I want to print RETURN ADDRESSES ONLY on 50 envelopes using MS Word 2003. The return address is stored. I go to TOOLS | LETTER AND MAILINGS | ENVELOPES AND LABELS and hit print. But I don't want to print my return addresses one at a time. There is no option on there to print a specific quantity, unlike if you were printing regular documents.

How do I print 50 return addresses, without having to print them one at a time?

***The title in my post is wrong. I mean print multiple ENVELOPES with my return address only.***
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 27, 2006, 01:10 PM
    I'm not sure I follow this. When you go into Envelopes and Labels, you can specify the mailing and return addresses. If you want to just print return addresses, use the Print to document choice with a blank address and print 50 copies.

Sep 27, 2006, 02:43 PM
    To clarify, I stick 50 blank envelopes in my printer. I ONLY want to print 50 of my return addresses on the envelopes. How do I do 50 all at once?

I know and understand that I can specify the mailing and return address, but where can I select the QUANTITY for printing the envelopes?

I know I can print X pages of a regular document.

It appears MS Word allows one to do what I want from the FILE | PRINT | PROPERTIES | PAGE SETUP | PAGE SIZE | Commercial #10 ENVELOPE, but it seems silly that MS Word won't allow you to print multiple envelopes from the TOOLS | LETTERS AND MAILING | ENVELOPES AND LABELS because it has no quantity selector there.

Sep 27, 2006, 06:03 PM
    Generally people don't print just return addresses. I would say that's very unusual. So it doesn't surprise me that the Envelop wizard only deals with one envelope at a time. LIke I said, just add the envelope to the current document and print 50 copies of that page.

Sep 27, 2006, 08:21 PM
    Scott, you're right, most people don't print 50 return addresses. But it arises from having written 50 letters and inserted those letters into the "clear window" style envelopes. So when I print my blank envelopes that have the windows, I only need to print my return address. The destination address shows through the "window" of the envelope, so to print it again on the outside, when it is already showing would be confusing and redundant.

At any rate, it seems it would have been simple for Microsoft to allow one to select a QUANTITY when printing the envelopes from the interface I was using. Maybe future versions of MS Word will correct this.

Sep 28, 2006, 05:25 AM
    Frankly, I don't think it that simple nor do I think Microsoft will expend effort on it since it's a very rare occurrence and there are other ways. Frankly, you create the envelope ONCE, save it, then just print when necessary.

Most people will either use preprinted envelopes or return address labels.

But go to Microsoft's site, there should be a link somewhere where you can suggest it to the development team.
    whiteraisins Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2007, 07:20 PM
    Zix, I had the same problem with printing multiple return addresses. Someone apparently didn't "get it"! :mad: Apparently like I can't "get" how to make the MAD smilie apppear. Anyway, I finally just merged to a blank document and "WALLAH!" the "File" taskbar appeared, and I went to print and FINALLY got a how many copies. Hope this helps, 'cause I've been trying to figure it out for TWO DAYS!!
    jimmiesmommy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2007, 11:18 AM
    Tools
    Letters and Mailings
    Envelopes and Labels
    Select the Envelope tab
    Enter your return address in the correct field
    Select add to document

Go to File, Print, enter quantity of 50 & voilą!
    jesseca Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2007, 12:18 PM
    I had a similar problem. I'm a writer and I have to include SASEs with my submissions to journals. An SASE is common term for a Self-Addressed Stamped Envelope, so basically, I needed to print a number of letters with my own address as the recipient. As much as many people may think this is rare, it's not. Every writer has to do this. Anyone sending out a mailing with a reply envelope has to do the same thing. I'm also guessing since those envelopes you describe with the plastic windows are so common that other people use them too.

Word, presumably a leader in office software, is out of touch for not including this feature in a simple and intuitive way. Were it not for the fact that the university I teach at nearly requires universal use of Word, I'd still be with WordPerfect, a superior product I left behind out of a need to create more universally accepted documents.

I basically went with making a merged list to just myself and printing the document 50 times. The trick for me was telling Word that my printer prints #9 envelopes, so the paper size is 3&7/8ths by 8&7/8ths. It did not need to be told this when I printed them one at a time, but it also made me tell it each time that I was printing from the tray and not the manual feed. I'll have to wonk it back now that I've got a batch of SASEs to last me a couple of weeks, when I will probably be printing a thousand of these suckers. And no, I really don't want to print a thousand of them one at a time: Death by a thousand small cuts.

What did I do before? I had a self-inking stamp with my address on it, which I wouldn't have needed in the first place if Word weren't so -backwards. It happens to have just run out of ink, so I was driven back to Word.

Best.
    jaynius Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2009, 04:19 AM
    Hi.. I was puzzled about this too, but especially as I wanted to include a logo with the return address, and didn't want to have to go to a commercial printer for the job.
    My solution was to just open a blank document, then under File select the Paper options.
    Here I was able to select D5 (the size of my blank envelopes), adjust the margins, and to lay out the return address just underneath the company logo. Then just selected Print and inserted the number I wanted.. in your case would be 50.
    Thanks, I looked at this question as I wondered if there was an even easier way.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Database is all shapes instaed of letters [ 4 Answers ]

Hi realley need help I was putting database back on my p.c from a floppy disc and instead of using Microsoft access I used wordpad now when I open it it comes up with lots of squares and symbols please can anyone help me

Meaning of tv-radio call letters [ 5 Answers ]

Is there a website that gives the meaning of radio-tv callletters? i.e.wlup-fm chicago- the loop

Dispute Letters [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone point me to a good dispute letter to CA's? One that is in line with the system so I can try to get some answers. I know some of these collectors don't have the original docs to prove the account. Do they have to have the original contract where I signed? Also I was told in the state...

View more questions Search