Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hauntinghelper Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 290
    Paranormal and Spiritual Interests

Aug 9, 2013, 04:32 PM
    Critique my pictures... round 2
    Ok, so one of the things I've always wanted to get in to has been macro photography. My humming bird pictures were atrocious but the other day we had the rare treat of having a humming bird moth in our garden.

I had maybe 2 minutes with this little guy and just want to get some of your opinions...

_63 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

_64 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

_68 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Obviously I didn't have time to grab my tripod, and maybe that's why they aren't all that clear. I'm pretty sure I had my shutter speed at around 1/800-1/1000 and my ISO is almost always around 100... how can I get rid of the noise in my photos?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 9, 2013, 05:39 PM
    Wow! I am never posting another picture on this site again, there's no way I can even come close to living up to your pictures.

The first one is my favorite, and if you think it's not clear, maybe I need glasses because it looks darn clear to me.

Gorgeous. In fact, I'd copy the first one in a heartbeat and frame it. Just beautiful.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 9, 2013, 06:10 PM
    What are you referring to when you say noise? If your thinking about making the entire picture clear then that's apature. It changes the depth of field. If you want to shoot high speed then sometimes you have to sacrifice with going to a higher ASA to achieve it. If you had it at ASA 100 and your shutter speed was at 800/1000 then your running a short depth of field. Only primary objects stay in focus when you do that. The background gets fuzzy.

Its suppose to be like that by the nature of the picture. Higher ASA numbers can get you faster shutter speeds and an increase in apature so you gain greater depth of field.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 9, 2013, 06:18 PM
    Wow who can catch a hummingbird and the purple is my favorite color AND my favorite *flowers
    cdad is right, but with the unclear background it makes the forefront more distinct.
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 9, 2013, 06:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u View Post
    Wow who can catch a hummingbird and the purple is my favorite color AND my favorite *flowers
    cdad is right, but with the unclear background it makes the forefront more distinct.
    It's a moth. Looks almost like a crawdad with wings. Very cool looking.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 9, 2013, 06:29 PM
    Oh I looked really quick cause I'm trying to look up mufflers. Yeah very cool. Moving Moths are hard to catch on camera too.
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 9, 2013, 07:03 PM
    Here is something I found you might like if you have an Android. It's a free photography app.

Amazon.com: DSLR Camera - Photo Guide Free: Appstore for Android

Aug 9, 2013, 09:05 PM
    Ha, yeah I usually describe those little guys as a moth mixed with a crawdad and a hummingbird!

Sorry for not clarifying... when I say "noise" I mean the graininess of the picture... which is more apparent in the second photo. I thought that graininess came more from using a high ISO... which I was not. I was using my 50mm lens for those shots so the bokeh in the background was expected... and actually something I'd prefer in pictures like that.

Aug 9, 2013, 09:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cdad View Post
    Here is something I found you might like if you have an android. Its a free photography app.

Amazon.com: DSLR Camera - Photo Guide Free: Appstore for Android
    I do have a Kindle Fire... can't believe I haven't come across that app before, looks great though, definitely going to try it out. Thanks again.

Aug 9, 2013, 09:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    Wow! I am never posting another picture on this site again, there's no way I can even come close to living up to your pictures.

The first one is my favorite, and if you think it's not clear, maybe I need glasses because it looks darn clear to me.

Gorgeous. In fact, I'd copy the first one in a heartbeat and frame it. Just beautiful.
    Awwww shucks! I don't think they are that good at all, but thank you nonetheless!
    Pets Expert

Aug 9, 2013, 09:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hauntinghelper View Post
    Awwww shucks! I don't think they are that good at all, but thank you nonetheless!
    They are. The colors, the movement, everything is gorgeous. Would you mind if I tried to recreate it in an oil painting? It is your photo, so I'd like to ask before I do it. I usually do landscapes, but I have done wolves, so I'm pretty sure I could do a moth if I take my time. :)
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 10, 2013, 05:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hauntinghelper View Post
    Ok, HauntingHumility, As you can see by the comments your on your way. Take them and run with it :)

Aug 10, 2013, 07:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    They are. The colors, the movement, everything is gorgeous. Would you mind if I tried to recreate it in an oil painting? It is your photo, so I'd like to ask before I do it. I usually do landscapes, but I have done wolves, so I'm pretty sure I could do a moth if I take my time. :)
    ALTY-oil paint your heart out ;)
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Aug 10, 2013, 12:27 PM
    What a beautiful little creature, I especially like how the focus in the second picture is the moth and the flower with all else just kind of fading away. Really nice pictures, thanks for sharing.

Aug 10, 2013, 12:52 PM
    Thank you!
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 10, 2013, 06:16 PM
    Don't be afraid to experiment with your pictures to change the results. Sometimes it can make an interesting picture.

Aug 10, 2013, 07:18 PM
    I haven't gone so far as to add water reflection yet... I'm still getting to know my software... which is a fight in itself.
    Pets Expert

Aug 10, 2013, 07:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cdad View Post
    Dont be afraid to experiment with your pictures to change the results. Sometimes it can make an interesting picture.
    That's really neat. I love this picture too. I may have to add the water to the painting. :)
    solidzane Posts: 111, Reputation: 8

Aug 16, 2013, 02:23 AM
    Better late than never right? Lol.

In my opinion, all three photos are great. You are right about the grain or noise being a result of the ISO/ASA. But at 100 it really shouldn't be so apparent. And being digital grain it really shouldn't look the way it does, I think... It should be less "textured" and show more red, green, and blue (Then again NR software would probably try to match the surrounding pixels)... So I'm thinking it is not an ISO problem... Possibly your lens glass needs some cleaning, (But I don't think so... ) Also could be your sensor needs some cleaning... (Again I am not too confident on that piece either... )

Are these 3 compositions the full photos? Did you crop anything out?

I ask about cropping because when you crop a photo and display it at a large size, the grain will be more pronounced. You are enlarging all the pixels to get to a specific size, that includes grain pixels...

Something to think about. See if you can turn noise reduction software on you camera off... Then use post processing software (photoshop, lightroom, corel, etc... ) to do your noise reduction. Newer versions of photoshop have great "content aware" editing features that probably integrate with PS's NR software...

While on the subject... If you did do some post processing and if that included any sharpening, that will produce significant grain... Unfortunately sharpening software still sucks for the most part...

I just reread your OP, you said you usually keep the ISO at 100. I do the same usually, but there was this one time when I accidentally set it at 3600! In broad daylight! For a photo class assignment!! At the time, I did notice that I was having to use ultra high shutter speeds and small apertures and in a few cases, a Neutral Density filter... I didn't notice the too high ISO until post processing back at school... Stupid me, right? Lol.

What I'm getting at is this; Are you sure your ISO was set correctly? Could you possibly have had it set too high or on Auto?

I know how to write up long posts, don't I? Sorry for that. But I hope I helped a bit. :-) (Oh, and this one was on my desktop, not my phone! ;-D )

Aug 16, 2013, 03:44 PM
    I just double checked all my info in the RAW and my ISO was at 100 for all the photos. I too thought maybe I had slipped it to auto on accident. These photos were cropped, but not to the degree that they look like they have been. It's a new lens and I haven't had this grainy issue with any others but these.

I typically don't sharpen images up too often and that goes for these as well. I understand they are going to be blurry... I didn't have time to get my tripod out for these, but I was disappointed with the grain. Hmmm... thanks for the input!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Critique my pictures? [ 15 Answers ]

Still getting the hang of my camera and the different ways to shoot. We're going to Disney World in November and I thought I'd practice some shots of fireworks. Any photo buffs want to take a look and give me some pointers or critique? Thanks... Flickr: hiltyjason's Photostream

How do I fix my 24 foot round pool that is out if round on opposite sides [ 0 Answers ]

My pool is 24 ft round,but is now 24 from side to side,but on other end to end is 2-3 inches wider. Outing allot of stress on liner,and has torn it. Do I need to pull apart wall and fix frame? I've cut foam and added to deeper parts of wall,still seems it may need more adjustments?

Can I replace swim pool botom rail from 24 ft round with 21 ft round pool rails? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 24 ft round pool & bottom rails R rusted through , Can I use the bottom rails from a 21 ft round pool to replace the bad ones ? Thanks

Critique my paper [ 1 Answers ]

I am a returning college student and need someone to critique my essay. This is elementary English so it's not a very long or detailed paper. It has been over ten years since I sat in a classroom and English was my worst subject.

Need your critique [ 27 Answers ]

Hi everyone. I just saw a contest in my local paper. They're asking people to send in their short stories, essays, anything that they've written. The prize is $100 and the chance to write an article every month for their paper. I wrote this little essay which I plan to send in. I could use...

View more questions Search