Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jerinbill Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2011, 10:28 AM
    I am on South Carolina probation and was arrested in North Carolina for shoplifting..
    I am on probation in sc and was arrested in nc.. will my po find out? Will I go to prison.. I have completed my drug classes and all my fines are paid on time..
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 15, 2011, 10:53 AM

It is up to the PO and perhaps the judge, most likely no, but you do have to report the new charge to your PO. The PO will then decide if he has to send you to a hearing in front of the judge to decide what happens.

Not telling the PO about the arrest would be a bigger violation than the shop lifting.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Aug 15, 2011, 03:15 PM

You have committed two violations:

1. Out of the state without permission.

2. Getting arrested for shoplifting.

3. And possibly a third charge if you don't report the above 2 violations to your PO.

This will all be up to the judge at your POV hearing.
    jerinbill Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2011, 09:21 AM
    Probation violation
    I'm on probation in sc and got arrested in nc for shoplifting.. I have already told my po about the new charge and she said if I am convicted of the shoplifting she will violate me... so my question is what does that mean in sc? Will I go do the 2 year prison time I was origanally sentenced or do they let one violation slide? I have
    Only been on probation 3 months... and I have no other record except my origanal charge and now the shoplifting>
    Expert

Aug 17, 2011, 09:46 AM

Most likely and it is just a guess, they violate you, and you are locked up for 2 week to about 6 week, pending a hearing, at the hearing, they read you the riot act and put you back on probation.

That is my guess.
    But yes, they could give you up to the 2 years if that was the probation given
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Aug 17, 2011, 06:29 PM
    They won't let this slide, sorry. If you are convicted in the other state then you may have to attend a VOP hearing when you get back from that state.

You may end up doing the entire 2 years in jail if the judge so deems fit.
    Expert

Aug 17, 2011, 07:18 PM
    Merged, please do not start separate threads for the same subject

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Probation Trnasfer to North Carolina [ 1 Answers ]

How does one transfer probation from Maine to North Carolina?

Nude beaches- North Carolina or South Carolina? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi! I'm looking for a nude beach near myrtle beach but I'm not having any luck. Does anyone know where one is? Thank you blusia

Transfer of probation to North Carolina from New Jersey [ 1 Answers ]

Do anyone have any suggestion on what I can do about North Carolina accepting me from New Jersey

Transfer probation from New Jersey to North Carolina [ 1 Answers ]

I am 18 years old. I have a felony crime of possession of a weapon-handgun. I received 3 years probation and probation transferred to North Carolina by a judge. I have been accepted to college with financial aid, room assignment and a support program. I start school 8/8/2007. Can North Carolina...

Transfer of probation from Georgia to North Carolina [ 1 Answers ]

I am receiving probation from the state of Georgia. The probation laws in GA state that GA only has supervised probation for 24 months. Meaning, if I received 3 years probation I would only have to report to my probation office each month for 24 out of the 36 months. I currently live in...

View more questions Search