Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CliffARobinson Posts: 1,416, Reputation: 101
    Ultra Member

Nov 30, 2011, 12:37 AM
    How young is too young to give a child a cellphone?
    With 90 percent of Americans having a cell phone, and an increasing amount of children racking up minutes in family plans, how young is too young, in your opinion?

Reference:
    CNET Article
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 30, 2011, 06:22 AM
    When they are old enough to be taught the value of a dollar and understand how fast it can go when spent unwisely.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 30, 2011, 07:17 AM
    With so many choices of unlimited minutes for 30 to 40 dollars a month, I don't understand why anyone is still paying for minutes personally.

I gave my son one at 10 for various reasons.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 30, 2011, 07:24 AM
    I don't think there is an appropriate or inappropriate age, personally. I think it is the parent's choice depending on familial circumstances and the maturity level of the child in question.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Nov 30, 2011, 09:17 AM
    I worked for a large American cell phone company, you would not believe the phone calls I would get requesting their phones be marked lost or stollen due to their 7 year old losing the phone. A lot of parents didn't realize, 2 year contract, is just that... a 2 year contract. Just because your 7 year old lost the phone, doesn't mean the contract goes away. I think it really depends on each individual. Kids are maturing at a way faster rate than the kids my age when I was 7-12. I think now a days, having a cell phone might be the only way you can keep contact with your kids.
    gallowraven Posts: 17, Reputation: 2

Dec 4, 2011, 06:05 AM
    I don't think there is a specific age for this. When deciding whether to give your kid a cell phone, you should take some things into consideration. When the child is in school there is no need for it, since you can get a hold of them through the schools phones, and they can get a hold of you. You have to determine whether there is a legitimate need for a cell phone. Such as a first time driver, a cell phone for emergencies would be a good thing. As a parent, it might be wise to give a cellphone to your kid, if you are away a lot. But the child in question also needs to understand the purpose of the cell phone, and be mature enough not to abuse it.
    DaniCalifornia Posts: 655, Reputation: 152

Dec 9, 2011, 10:16 AM
    I got mine at 12. I feel that's fair. It meant I had already been in senior school for a few months and seen everyone else with phones so had something to look forward to getting, but was also old enough to deserve/need one.

X Dani
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Dec 9, 2011, 03:41 PM
    Hmmm, I just confiscated an iPhone off a six year old in my class yesterday.

Dani... UK is usually far and above the US in cell phones that are available. US generally tends to see the same ones a bit later, although the gap is somewhat shrinking. Some really nice package deals over the years too! Hubby received a free little TV with one of his years back.
    DaniCalifornia Posts: 655, Reputation: 152

Dec 9, 2011, 04:32 PM
    Oooh, I didn't know that! Thought the USA were miles ahead. You get movies first, after all! XD

X Dani
    nygypsy1 Posts: 42, Reputation: 2

Jan 17, 2012, 05:32 PM
    10 and is to yong
    Steph4353 Posts: 24, Reputation: 4

Aug 12, 2012, 09:38 PM
    I'm 13 and I still don't have a phone. I would love to have one but I understand that it is up to my mom and I can get one when she decides, or whenever I am able to pay for my own. I know plenty of parents make their children wait till they are old enough to pay for it themselves(although that number of parents is shrinking).

One of my main points of persuasion to getting a phone is that if I need to get into contact with her. But I know that I can use a friends phone.

I think kids should have a phone on condition that they get it taken away when they misbehave. A phone is a privilege, not a right. The time of getting a phone doesn't depend in age, it depends on the maturity of the child and the financial situation the parents are in.

Well, also if they have a mean stepdad that doesn't like them, like in my situation :P
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Aug 13, 2012, 02:57 AM
    I don't think a child should have a cellphone until they can earn the money to pay for it themselves.

The ONLY exception I would ever make, is when one parent is sending a child to the non custodial parents house. You never know when a cell might be needed in that situation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Film young boy, mother dies and dad has young girlfriend that boy dislikes [ 1 Answers ]

A long time agao, and I am ancient, I saw a film, possibly in black and white, with a blonde boy whose rich dad brings home a young girlfriend after his wife, the boy's mother, dies. I remember the boy trying to manipulate her, a scene where he is in the bath tub and she answers the phone or visa...

Young twins staying at a mansion, see two young dead twins rise from the ground [ 0 Answers ]

The dead came into the mansion, went upstairs, forced their way into a room that looked like a lab, and tore through the flesh of a doctor who was due to experiment on the two young twins that were staying there. Very old ghost film.

A young female doctor is in a coma and visits a young man who is leasing her apartmen [ 1 Answers ]

It's a movie about a female doctor who because of an accident is in a coma. Her sister has leased her apartment and a young man has taken it. The young women visits him in the apartment and is disturbed that he is there. She can't remember who she is. They solve the mystery together and ultimately...

70/80s(?) movie about a young boy falling for a young widow (it's in The Shining) [ 2 Answers ]

Okay, for anyone who has seen Stanley Kubrick's The Shining, this movie is shown in that movie (about 55 minutes in). There's a part where the little boy and mom are watching a movie in one of the halls and THAT is the movie. Now, I know I've seen this movie before in its entirety. It's about...

View more questions Search