Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tigergay Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2003, 04:20 PM
    Rental Laws
    What are the legal do's and don't of a landlord ? Can they enter your apt. anytime they want without your consent ?
    michelle182008 Posts: 5, Reputation: 0

Feb 17, 2005, 10:56 PM
    Yes
    Yes if they own the apt. they can come in anytime they want my father is a landlord someone tried to sue him for coming in there home they were renting from him and it got throw out of court cause he has that right.just cause u pay rent there its still there property.
    tk2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Jun 5, 2005, 06:33 PM
    Yes but...
    The landlord can enter the apartment or house, but only if they provide notice (24 hours or otherwise outlined in the lease). The only exception is if there is an emergency and you are not home or are home and don't open the door. Different things constitute an emergency, for example sink leaking over and flooding, fire, etc. I'm not a lawyer so don't quote me, however I am a landlord and these are restrictions I have to follow.

Hope this helps.
    zackmoris99 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2005, 01:33 AM
    We are moving out of our apartment and have already given our notice. Our landlord obviously wants to show the apartment, but tonight he called at 6:30 PM, we were both at work, and left a message that he was showing our apartment at 7 PM. Can he do this? If not, I would love to know so I can tell him to stay the hell out of our apartment until he at least mentions it to us first. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 30, 2005, 09:28 AM
    Hello:

The do's and don'ts of a landlord vary depending on the State in which you live. Every state has its own Landlord Tenant Law. While most states are similar, they are not the same.

They are, however, readable and understandable. That is the ONLY place to get these do's and don'ts, and if you're going to be a landlord or tenant (who will be bound by these laws - even if you don't know them), it would be my advice to become intimately familiar with them.

If you'll tell me what state you live in, I'll answer your question specifically.

excon
    josue Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2005, 09:20 PM
    Deposit
    Well... I have a question... I am moving this month and I didn't notice thist to the landlord... and when I asked him if he could return the deposit he said the hi is not going to give me any... cause I didn't noticed him on time...
    Is he in his right to keep the deposit or am I in the right to get it back..
    Little help please...
    Thank you...
    Uber Member

Oct 13, 2005, 05:37 AM
    Hello:

Well, that would depend on the state in which you live, AND your rental status. I'll assume that you are month to month. Most states require at least 20 days notice and some require 30. Notice is so that he can rent the place right away.

If you didn't give him notice, then he can't rent the place right away and he will lose some money. You are going to owe him rent for the difference between the date you move out the date you gave notice. In other words, if you gave 10 days notice, and you are required to give 20, you'll owe him 10 days rent.

None of this had anything to do with the deposit, however. He is required to give it back (again, depending on the state where you live), within 14 days along with an itimized list of the repairs he had to affect and the amounts he paid. He cannot take rent from your security deposit.

Some states require you to demand your deposit back - some don't. Some will give you triple the amount back if the landlord doesn't respond within the time limits.

Do everything in writing from now on, and abide by your contracts. That way, you can demand that the landlord does too, although you might have to sue him. Small Claims court is cheap, easy and fast.

excon
    venuskm478 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2005, 04:02 PM
    What are the laws when your landlord tells u they cant do a walk through?
    When my roommate and I left our apt. we had a walk through scheduled and when we went to the office they told us that they would come look later that we could go because they were busy and couldn't come do a walk through and now they are trying to charge us for carpet replacement that did not need it. I don't know what to do, they are threatening to send us to collections.
    Uber Member

Oct 25, 2005, 05:30 PM
    Landlord
    Hello Venuskm:

What you should have done is take pictures of the beautiful condition you left the apartment in.

However, you didn’t do that. Evidently, you had no deposit, as they are threatening to take you to collections rather than you trying to get your deposit back.

I would write them a letter. Send it certified. Tell them that if they damage your credit rating by making false claims, you’ll sue them for defamation of character. If they do send you to collections, it isn't no big deal. Yes, it will go on your credit report, but they have no power to collect the debt. If you get a letter from the collection agent, you have 30 days in which you can dispute the debt. Do that, again by certified mail. Tell them also, in the letter, not to contact you again per the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. At this point, the only way the landlord can get money from you is to sue you. That’s good. That’s your opportunity to tell the judge that the carpet WAS in good shape when you moved out. If it’s true, and the landlord can’t PROVE otherwise, he’ll lose.

excon

Oct 25, 2005, 06:00 PM
    Thanks every little bit helps! They do have a security deposit from us. They sent a letter/bill for new carpet and trash removal. I know we left that place bare and my roommate has spoken with the new tenant about something else and she voluteered to us that she told them to leave the carpet and they told her they replace every time. Do you know where we could find the laws for MD on fees etc like this? Ive looked on tenant/landlord laws or something like that but I have no clue where to look in all those articles and sections.
    Uber Member

Oct 25, 2005, 06:14 PM
    Hello again:

Try rentlaw.com and look up your state. It should be there. If not, look up your state government web site and you should find it there. If not, call the Secretary of State for your state and ask them to mail you a copy.

You need to actually see the law. It's not very difficult and not very long. I'm sure it's not going to list fees for these things.

The policy, as the new tenant outlined it, to change carpet whenever a change occurs shouldn't be your responsibility to pay for, if you can prove that's what they do.

In general, and your state may be slightly different, the landlord is required to send your deposit back within 14 days, along with a statement itemizing each deduction. If the deductions don't seem reasonable to you, they won't seem reasonable to a court.

If they don't do this, or don't do whatever your state requires, then you can sue them, and I absolutely would. Small Claims court is cheap, quick and easy.

excon

Oct 25, 2005, 06:40 PM
    Thanks bunches - I'll let u know how it goes. I'll be sending them a letter this week and see how they respond.

Thanks again

:)
    slippydippydo Posts: 38, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2005, 06:09 PM
    Check landlordtenanthelponline.org
    dcamp1225 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2005, 04:43 PM
    No signed lease?
    If I haven't signed a lease do I have to give a 30day notice before I move out? And also if not and I have paid for that month but move out only 7days into that month should I get money back? Can someone help I think I am getting the shaft here...
    Uber Member

Oct 31, 2005, 07:28 PM
    Hello dcamp, maybe I can help:

If you haven’t signed a lease then you are month to month. Depending on the state where you live you most likely are required to give at least 20 days notice.

If you paid for the month and move out early, you are NOT entitled to money back, in most cases. It really depends on the reasons you are moving, but generally, no.

You can look up your states landlord tenant law at rentlaw.com. I recommend you read it. It’s short and understandable.

Hang in there.

excon
    jsimpson01 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2005, 07:38 AM
    Smoking
    can a landlord specify about smoking in the apt. and if so if a tenet does not obuy by it can they be kicked out by the law "judge"undefined
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Nov 14, 2005, 07:33 PM
    Yes, a landlord can specify that the tenant may not smoke in the apartment. If this rule is not put in writing and made a part of the lease then the landlord will have a hard time getting the tenant out. But if it is in writing and part of the lease then the landlord can have the tenant evicted for violation of the terms of the lease. Keep in mind that if the tenant denies smoking in the apartment then the landlord will have to prove it.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 14, 2005, 07:46 PM
    Rental
    The rental laws of every state differ. In most of the states where I own or have owned property, I could only enter the property with proper notice ( or 24 hour notice) unless there is some emergancy reason to enter ( gas leak, water leak)

Also a landlord may have it written into the rental agreement on what terms they can enter, monthly inspections and the such.

Normally in small claims court, if you end up there, try to have as much evidece you can, photos, list of calls and contacts with landlord and the such.

I have not read though the entire chain, but in general you always need a written lease, it is for your protectoin as much as the owner.

They also have required laws to evict you if it gets to that also.
    Misty1982 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2005, 08:02 AM
    Help regarding viewing the flat I rent without permission
    Hi there,

I have handed in my notice at a flat I currently rent and fully understand that the land lady wants to view the property for protential new tenants. The only problem is the letting ageny she has gone through have gone into my flat and viewed the property without my permission. Is this breaking some sort of Law? Please can someone tell me where I stand on this as I am most upset that my privacy has been invaded!

Thanks
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Dec 5, 2005, 08:13 AM
    You are right. They have no right to enter without a notice.

In a friendly way notify the Landlord and the Agency that you need to receive the proper notice before allowing anyone into your apartment.

Hopefully they are friendly and apologize - and promise to do so in the future. If they do it again, I'd complain to your State Attorney General.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Security Deposit under PA Rental Laws [ 1 Answers ]

I was provided with a lease requiring a security deposit of 11/2 times one month's rent. In addition, the lease requires a pet deposit of $1500. Together the two deposits exceed 2 times one month's rent. Is a pet deposit considered a security deposit? Or, can the landlord exceed the maximum...

Rental laws.. [ 3 Answers ]

I have been living in the same apartment for 17 months, we pay $650. With utilities included... also included w/ the apartment is washer/dryer. After living here for 3 months the dryer broke and we have repeatedly been asking for this to be fixed. Our landord is a dumbass and still has not...

NH Rental Deposit Laws [ 0 Answers ]

Undefined Can you take a first and last months rent along with a pet deposit OR is it only First and security

View more questions Search