Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ivy Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2005, 04:02 AM
    Can't download ANYTHING!
    My computer has just recovered from a problem in which was solved by the removing of display drivers. While I doubt that shouldn't affect my downloading, I can't think of anything that is wrong with my computer for it to be as such. Now I can't even download new drivers.

I need help!! :(

What are the possibilities/causes for my case? :confused:
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Oct 24, 2005, 04:04 AM
    If you can do everything else, then the display drivers are not the issue.

Could the recent problem have also left you with settings that prohibit downloads?

What operating system are you running?

Oct 24, 2005, 04:27 AM
    It's windows xp/ service pack 2.
    Uber Member

Oct 24, 2005, 04:42 AM
    I wish I'd have asked, too, if you were getting an error message.

Things to check out:

1. Be sure you are on as an Administrative user:

Go to the Control Panel and open User Accounts. Are you showing there as
    "Computer Administrator"?

If not, click on your user account then click "change my account type" - and change yourself to Administrator.

2. Go to Windows Updates and be sure you are up to date. Check even the Optional downloads for things related to downloading.

3. Try this article and fix from microsoft:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=816868

... do any of these fix it? If not, please confirm if there is an error message, and if so, what exactly?

Oct 24, 2005, 05:16 AM
    There's no message of any sort. It's that normally there would be a prompt for the destination to save the file, it doesn't show up for my case, just keep downloading with no purpose.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 24, 2005, 05:53 AM
    What you probably did was accidentally check a box so it doesn't prompt you to save. That doesn't mean its not downloading. Do a search on your system for a file you downloaded and you will find where they are being stored.

This article:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;283093
    Should help you restore the option.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Oct 24, 2005, 06:08 AM
    XP won't download
    Hi, Ivy,
    This happened once before, to a friend with XP. The problem with that particular computer was that the temp files were so full, the computer would not download anything.
    I am not absolutely sure this is your problem too, but it's worth a try to clean out junk files, temp folders, etc.
    Here is a link to a free, great, program that will do it all for you in just 2 mouse clicks, safely, no advertising/spyware involved:

http://www.ccleaner.com

Please try it. It's better than the XP Disk Cleanup utility, and if you don't like it, you can always go to Control Panel and Add/remove programs, and uninstall it.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Oct 24, 2005, 06:10 AM
    Since you only may have recently installed Service Pack 2 perhaps what you are experiencing is the new Internet Explorer Information Bar issue. Check out this site to see if this is the problem:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...2_infobar.mspx

It could veru well be that your download is simply waiting for you to confirm it by clicking on the yellow information to confirm that you want to download the file.

Oct 24, 2005, 06:25 AM
    Scottgem: I doubt the files were saved. It really isn't downloading. I believe it was connecting to the server, because it doesn't indicate how many percent downloaded or anything of that sort, no time remaining no nothing.

fredg: I can't download ccleaner because my downloading function just isn't working.

Needkarma: I have been using sp2 for quite a long time, so other than new websites that I visit, the yellow bar doesn't come up at all. So visiting webbies where I have downloaded before, it still doesn't download.

I really have no idea what's the matter with my comp but I'm having a very hard time with it. Spent days fixing my previous problem and now this! I'm desperate!!
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Oct 24, 2005, 06:43 AM
    Perhaps it's time for a new browser?

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

Edit: oh yea, you can't download it :) Maybe a friend can download it and burn it to CD for you.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Oct 24, 2005, 07:46 AM
    Worth a go
    Have you tried a System Restore to a few days ago, when everything was working properly.

It may be one of Micro$oft's famous "undocumented features" aka bugs.
    Uber Member

Oct 24, 2005, 09:41 AM
    Again I was thinking too deep: Curlyben suggests what ought to have been done as one of the first things.

Good eye, Curlyben!

ivy, definitely try that route... and maybe try it a few times going back a few dates. You'll only lose installed stuff - not documents.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 24, 2005, 10:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ivy
    there's no message of any sort. it's that normally there would be a prompt for the destination to save the file, it doesn't show up for my case, just keep downloading with no purpose.
    I apologize, from the above quote it sounded like it was downloading but you just didn't know where.

Trying a System Restore is a good idea. If that doesn't work, try booting to your XP CD and using the Repair option.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Oct 24, 2005, 02:12 PM
    Can't Download
    Hi,
    I am sorry, but whoooopssss! Since you can't download, then you can't download the ccleaner...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Download Trojan... [ 8 Answers ]

Hey guys, I have had a virus on my computer for some time now and I knew where it was and never was able to get it removed, I didn't worry about it too much because it didn't seem to be doing much to my comp[uter and because I have spyware doctor, norton corporate, ad aware, search and destroy...

How to download [ 18 Answers ]

Hi , We find few music album sites, wherein we can just play the music online. What needs to be done if we want to download the music and save them into our local drive. I tried doing that, but always end up with saving as "Html" or "Real Player Presentation" format and cannot be played...

How to download music [ 7 Answers ]

Can someone please give me a "site" that I can read about how to download music onto a CD. I'm not very good on the computer... Thanks "Ken"

DSL Download problem... [ 6 Answers ]

In one of my Friends PC I face the following problem. He has a DSL cable connection, When he tries to connect to Yahoo Mails the System slows down & the Cable connection Properities say 10.0Mbps,send & Receive packets says 1,908 & 1,008 rspectively & doesnot move beyond that value even after 1...

Download [ 1 Answers ]

Can you download all material on a hotmaill account in one go onto a c.d and how please.

View more questions Search