Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jersey-joan Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2006, 07:39 AM
    Does putting gas hot water heater dial on PILOT put pilot light out?
    My gas hot water heater dial has OFF to the left, PILOT in the middle and ON to the right. If we are going away and want to not have the water heated can we just turn the dial to PILOT and the flame will stay lit but just won't heat the water or does the flame go out completely and then PILOT would have to be relit when we return?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 15, 2006, 07:48 AM
    Hi Joan,

"can we just turn the dial to PILOT and the flame will stay lit but just won't heat the water or does the flame go out completely and then PILOT would have to be relit when we return?"

Off= Everything shuts off including the pilot lite.
    Pilot= The burner shuts off but the pilot stays lit.
    Note; If the pilot should be extinguished while you're away the thermocouple will shut it off so gas will not escape and build up so you're covered.

Regards, tom
    PASSERVE Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Dec 13, 2008, 05:51 PM

Valve may have a vacation setting as well
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Dec 13, 2008, 07:04 PM

This is from a Frindly Plumber,
    Water heaters:
    A large percentage of the cost of running a water heater is due to the "stand by" losses, the cost of keeping the water at the selected temperature. Consider setting the water heater to the "Vacation" setting or the lowest temperature setting. Make sure you record what temperature it should be set back to when you return (a normal operating temperature of 120°F is safe & energy efficient). Turning it off may not be the best idea; the life of some water heaters can be shortened, you can risk freezing pipes in winter, & you can have a considerable wait for hot water once you turn it back on. Setting your water heater down but not off, can save you up to $10/month for electric water heaters or $4/month for gas.
    Set your gas heater valve on the vaction and you will be Ok see the Iamge, Thanks.

John
    Attached Images

rojo1 Posts: 59, Reputation: 6

Jan 5, 2011, 02:31 PM
    afaroo is correct in that a total shutdown, may cause more problems down the line. If there is a vacation
    Setting, use it or the lowest setting available. A good practice is to check with MFG.
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Jan 5, 2011, 03:14 PM

Hello Rojol,

You responded to a two years old post, Thanks.

John

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Carrier natural gas pilot to low [ 5 Answers ]

I have a carrier furnace and the pilot light is too low it does not reach the thermo coupler it looks like some one has been adjusting factory set screws. Does the valve need to be replaced?

Is it the gas valve or the pilot? [ 6 Answers ]

I have a very old AFCO gas furnace (@ 1950) - this is the first problem we've encountered in 10 years - it has a standing pilot which is connected to the gas line before the regulator and valve - the pilot also has 2 wires that act as a switch to the gas valve - everything is fine except for the...

Emergency, How can I re-ignite the pilot light? [ 2 Answers ]

Need help! The pilot light disappeard, and I tried to re-iginite by match, by lighter, but all fail. I need emergency help from you, please! :o

Pilot light [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Carrier upflow furance model 58GFA105-16 with a Honeywell programmable thermostat model ct3200. The pilot lights and is blue and strong. Every once in a while I will notice the air from the ducts is cool. When checking, the pilot is out. Lights as stated. I have noticed that when heater...

View more questions Search