Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gabby78 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2009, 02:09 PM
    I have a 20 gallon fish tank and my fish are dying
    I got a fish tank and evrything was good and my fish were having fish, and I just added water to the fish tank and just 2 days ago I notes that every time that I check my fish tank there are a lot of fish dead I want to know why?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Dec 21, 2009, 02:36 PM

Did you remove th chlorine with a remover or let the water stand 24 hrs?

Dis you test and adjust the PH?

You always should remove some water before you add to delete some of the amonia that's present.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Dec 22, 2009, 04:02 AM

Did you put a lot of fish in at once?

That can really mess with the levels.

You should let the tank sit with NO fish in it for several weeks and then add ONE or TWO fish at a time over the next few weeks.
    Too many fish at once and all you will end up with is a tank full of dead fish.
    Boots011 Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Jan 4, 2010, 04:23 PM

How long has the aquarium been running? If it's a new tank, it's probably "new tank syndrome". When you put fresh water into a new tank, there is no bacteria in the water. You need that beneficial bacteria in order to have a proper nitrogen cycle. There is a post on the main "Other Pets and Animals" page about the cycle, so check that out for a more thorough explanation.

Basically, when you add a bunch of new fish, you're filling your bio-load with ammonia--the leading fish killer. The only way to counter that ammonia boost is to have an established bacterial supplement in the water-- on your decorations plants, and gravel. This is the environment needed for the nitrogen cycle.

You can buy a generic "bacteria supplement" or "Stress Zyme" from the pet store to add to the water to help, but it'll take time to establish. Make sure to follow the directions on the bottles as well because you can do damage to the water by overdosing.

You'll probably continue to lose fish in the process, so don't buy any more until everything's okay. Invest in a "six-in-one" testing kit to measure your water parameters, or take water samples to local pet stores and ask if they can test it for you-- most will.

Good luck.
    shotize Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2010, 04:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by gabby78 View Post
    I got a fish tank and evrything was good and my fish were having fish, and I just added water to the fish tank and just 2 days ago I notes that every time that I check my fish tank there are alot of fish dead I want to know why?
    The answer is you probably have ammonia are you over feeding fish you check your ammonia level and if come up positive brake down and change filter cartridge.
    shotize Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2010, 04:34 PM

And make sure you are not over feeding your fish that is the problem people over feed their fish and the food rots and becomes toxic. A hungry fish is a healthy fish if the food it's the bottom of the tank that means your are feeding too much!
    avanta1111 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2010, 07:42 PM

Use Amquel Plus. It gets the job done and it doesn't mess with beneficial bacteria. Always follow the directions on the bottle. Never overdose. Slight underdosing is OK.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Fish are dying. Again in fish tank. [ 3 Answers ]

Ph is high in this, the second try. All my fish died a few weeks ago, over night. Cleaned out tank and have introduced a few new fish. Now they have began to die. The ph is high, and I am trying to bring it down using peat moss this time. I have a coral rock in the tank. Could this be a problem...

The # of fish a fish tank can hold. [ 3 Answers ]

The number of tropical fish that an aquarium can hold depends on the volume of the fish tank. The interior dimensions of the fish tank below are 28 cm, 49 cm, and 52 cm. Each fish requires 10,000 cubic centimeters of water. How many tropical fish will this fish tank hold?

Dying Fish [ 4 Answers ]

Hi Guys, My kids have an aquarium at home medium size which has got a filter and they are changing the water and cleaning the whole stuff occasionally but not late. They are feeding them morning and evening according to the instructions from the pet shop. They have to buy new fishes in every two...

Please Help My Fish Hope is dying. [ 3 Answers ]

Message Deleted

View more questions Search